Complete Coach Dodge Chat Transcript

Harry

Courtesy UNT Athletic Department

10:45

Kenny: Hello everyone this is Kenny Bybee once again with the sports information department. I will be the moderator for today's chat with Coach Dodge. Ground rules will be the same as last week with RV (no vulgar language and no recruting talk, due to NCAA violations). Other than that feel free to shoot away with questions and The Dragon shall be here shortly.

10:48

Which game are you looking forward to the most this season?

Ball St.

( 19% )

Alabama

( 3% )

Army

( 61% )

Ohio

( 13% )

Other

( 3% )

10:49

Kenny: A few e-mails we got before we begin. Question 1

Jason wants to know how you plan on rotating running backs with all of the depth at that position

10:51

Coach Dodge: first of all, Cam Montgomery is our bona-fide starter coming out of spring practices. Lance Dunbar has also been a very nice addition to our backfield.

You will see more two-back sets this year as well, and with those two guys on the field at the same time with one of them splitting out wide as a receiver.

10:52

Coach Dodge: We are working on personell settings right now, but we feel like we have alot of depth at running back and a lot of versatility that will help us a ton this year.

Jeremy Mathis, Micah Mosley and James Hamilton will all help us this year at that position. We are in a really good spot at RB.

10:52

Kenny:

Next question: Tony wants to know what has been done to improve special teams play because last year couldn't get much worse.

This is the last e-mail question, we will now begin the live chat.

10:56

Coach Dodge:

I promoted Shelton Gandy to special teams coach, and his background really lends itself to what we want to do.

We made a concerted effort to imrove our special teams this offseason, especially our punt and kick coverage units. We are leaving no stone unturned on our special teams as far as our personnel is concerned. Everyone who can contribute will contribute on special teams - from rookies to veterans.

We are much more equiped this year to handle special teams as well. We really like the way Jeremy Knott improved at kicker this offseason, and our new punter should help out as well.

Coach Gandy has gone a long way towards changing our players attitudes when it comes to contributing on special teams.

10:56

[Comment From Kevin ]

This year, when we're near the goal line, will we actually have a bona fide goal line set, replete with QB under center, fullback, and tight ends. Touchdowns are worth six points whether we run or pass for them.

10:58

Coach Dodge: We do have a tight-end offensive package and you will see it a little more this season. We use a tight end around 33 percent of the time, and with guys like Micah Mosely and Cam Montgomery, we will have a much more versitile looks at the goal line.

Riley is very comfortable under center, and you can look for him to take snaps under center at the goal line if the situation calls for it.

10:59

[Comment From John ]

What are looking to see from your team against Alabama. The odds are definitely against you to win that game but what if any moral victories do you see coming out of that?

11:00

Expand

11:01

Coach Dodge: Its obvious that we have to go on the road against some really tough competition. The expectation that I have is that our players will flat-out turn loose and compete. We are better equiped this year than we ever have been before to compete at that level.

I don't know if there are any moral victories, per se, but I think hanging around is really important. That's when you have a chance to pull an upset, and that's when you can make a big impression.

11:01

[Comment From TV Pete ]

Any big predictions for the final season of Lost?

11:02

Coach Dodge: Talk to my son about that one. He's a huge fan!

11:02

[Comment From Hickoryhouse ]

What, if any, roll will the Tight End position play in this year's offense?

11:05

Coach Dodge: The tight end position plays a huge role in our offense. Briant Seidle emerged last year and was huge for us, and along with our larger inside receivers, can be a major point of attack for us.

We have used the tight end since I started using this offense, and we are getting more comfortable with it each day.

You will see our guys lining up with their hands in the dirt a lot this season.

11:05

[Comment From EagleGreen ]

The morale seemed to have been lacking on last year's team; especially when the clock ran out before we had time to win the game. What efforts have you made this off season to improve team morale?

11:06

Coach Dodge: Our team feels really good after a great offseason of team building. Certain players have stepped up to lead, and I think if you ask any of our player they would tell you that they are ready to win and put this past behind them.

11:06

[Comment From Brian ]

Coach, Which player are you the most excited about having on the field this year? How good is AK? Will Gilmore be at DE or DT?

11:10

Coach Dodge:

I'd say on the offensive side of the ball is Esteban Santiago. He's a 20-plus game starter and has turned into a heck of a football player. Look for him and our offensive line to change some games this year.

On the defensive side of the ball, its tough to have a better offseason than Tobe Nwigwe. I really think he will be one of the best linebackers in the Sun Belt!

AK is one of these players that can really get out and run. Brandon can be a game-changing player even at his small size and I think you will see that this year.

Gilmore ended the spring at defensive tackle and will play there this fall. We like that he has the versitility to play both position though. Our defensive line has all the competition in the world with eight of our 16 players just arriving to camp.

11:10

[Comment From Scott Campbell ]

QB question: You know your starting QB better than anyone (outside of his mom). How prepared do you think he is to take the starting role this year. And I ask that, in relation to from where we saw him in the Spring to where he is right now...off season conditioning, player-only drills this summer, etc.

11:12

Coach Dodge: I think he is very ready to lead this football team. The thing about Riley is his versitility. There just isn't much you can't do with him. He's got great legs, and he's a very accurate passer.

Our strength staff has done a great job of working with Riley, and they have put some great weight on him. He's up to right at 195, and I think he is ready to lead this team right now.

11:12

[Comment From Jerry Gray ]

After reading Yahoo!'s rankings yesterday, what are YOUR expectations for this years team in SBC play? What final goal does the team have at this point for this year?

11:14

Coach Dodge: The goal that we have is to be playing in New Orleans. Alot of people tell me, "that is crazy!"

I don't think so. It's lofty, but I don't want anyone associated with this program to desire for anything short of a championship.

We have a much improved team, and we are playing six home games. We get out of the gates against some tought teams, but they are teams that we match up with a little better than in year past.

I don't think its a goal that is out of reach.

11:14

[Comment From Brian ]

What do you think of Cantly this season? Am I right to expect huge things out of him this year?

11:16

Coach Dodge:

We are very excited about Tevinn. He had a great spring, and is really pretty mobile for a guy that weighs over 300 pounds. It's so important for a guy to be able to move his feet, and he certainly can.

I see him lining up perfectly as the bigger guy on our line, which his size lends alot of pure bulk. He's going to see some playing time this year.

11:16

[Comment From Scott Campbell ]

Reading through, with all due respect, the coach-speak that is inherent in discussions like this, you sound confident that this team will be vastly improved over the first 2 years. How confident are you that this improvement will be reflected in wins?

11:18

Coach Dodge: I'm confident, but it's not coach speak. We have an offensive line that has 102 career starts. We have a stable of great running backs, and a linebacking corps that has matured and gelled together.

I have seen alot of football in my career, and this is a team that can win some football games this year.

11:19

[Comment From FirefightnRick ]

Which incoming defensive freshman are you most looking forward to seeing for the first time on the field this August?

11:19

Coach Dodge: I can't wait to see Tyler Washington. He's a guy that could be a rush end, but may just end up at outside linebacker, and I look for him to contribute quickly at special teams.

11:20

[Comment From Tommy Nobis ]

Which SBC foe do you believe the team has more, shall we say...desire to thrash? Which SBC team would the team consider their biggest rival? Which team should we hate most?

11:21

Coach Dodge: I think just from a regional standpoint, I'd say ULL, ULM and Arkansas State.

We compete with them more in recruiting than anyone else in the league. As a matter of fact, we don't really cross paths with anyone else in the league.

11:21

[Comment From Lee Moses ]

How are some of our players looking who are coming off of injury? e.g., Micah, Riley, Kelvin . . .

11:23

Coach Dodge:

Micah is looking great. His November surgery has completely healed and he is fully back to work.

Kelvin went throught the full spring, so we really aren't worried about him.

Alex Lott had surgery on his shoulder in January, but he is also back to full speed already.

As far as the injury front goes, we are in great shape. I expect everyone with us on day one!

11:23

[Comment From Chris ]

Can you tell us what impact Coach Nelson has had, along with another year for Coach Deloach to get his system in place

11:26

Coach Dodge: Coach Nelson is a tremendous veteran. He's been around 36-38 years, and the second I met him, I knew he was right for our program. He isn't concerned with what the players have done in the past. Each one of them started from scratch and they have had to prove them self to him all over again.

He might be the oldest coach on the staff, but he has more energy that everyone else combined.

On the defensive side of the ball, coach DeLoach has also been really active this offseason. He has moved some folks around and has really been active in the weight room with Charr.

11:26

[Comment From Hickoryhouse ]

We are hearing a good deal about the offensive line, line backers and running backs. We gave up significant plays deep last year pretty regularly, what is the outlook of our Secondary? We have recruited a lot of good players for the secondary but they do not seem to have formed a successful unit yet. What has changed this year to fix that issue?

11:28

Coach Dodge:

Alot of times last year, we were starting four freshmen at one time. That isn't an excuse, but that was just the situation.

Royce Hill and Adrian Adams will be a year better this year, and DeWaylon is a sizable safety that can intimidate and make the plays.

I can go on and on about our defensive backs, and I think we will grow up a lot at that position this year. I am encouraged by what I saw last year. We had to throw them to the wolves, and they handled it pretty well.

11:29

[Comment From Jeff ]

What is the status of Tyler Stradford? Do you expect him to be a starter if the NCAA clears him? Other WR starters?

11:30

Coach Dodge: We would like to think that we would have an answer on Stradford by the end of the week. I'm not holding my breath, but I hope that is the case.

We are confident that he will be with us, and if he is, he will be the No. 1 receiver at the X.

11:31

Coach Dodge: We can really mix and match our sets with Stradford active, but there are a number of guys that would love to step up in his place.

Our talent level is outstanding, but our experience level needs to get higher, and it will with time.

11:32

[Comment From mark means kram ]

I have a friend who is going to murder me if we don't win 4 games - literally strangle, shoot, stab, etc. I'm not too nervous, but in your expert opinion, am I gonna live to see December, coach?

Coach Dodge: Do you think you have the market cornered on that problem???

[Comment From FirefightnRick ]

Do you ever see a fullback worked into the offense for certain situations?

11:33

Coach Dodge:

In short, yes.

We have plans for some short yardage and goal line sets to have a second back, or a tight end lined up in the backfield. There are some possibilties for that.

11:33

[Comment From UNT90 ]

With the strength of the offense appearing to be in the line and at running back, and with us starting a freshman QB and 2 new receivers, will more emphasis be placed on the running game?

11:35

Coach Dodge: Our strength is the offensive line and the running back, and we will take advantage of that. We haven't been as effective at running the ball in the last couple of years, but we always try to take what the defense gives us.

We are all about moving the football, and that calls for whatever we can do to exploit the defense. But our backs are definitely up to the task this year.

11:35

[Comment From UNTFan1982 ]

Coach Dodge, What is the most exciting part about the anticipation of a new season?

11:36

11:37

Coach Dodge:

This is an opportunity to take this team and coaches with a clean slate and put the dissapointments behind us. For a competator, the first time you get to "make it right" is at the start of fall camp, and there isn't a feeling like it.

[Comment From davidmeadows1@hotmail.com ]

MY OLD HIGH SCHOOL COACH, JIM CANTER, USE TO HAVE SOME TRICK PLAYS HE CALLED "TRASH PLAYS". ALSO, HAYDEN FRY WAS GOOD AT PULLING OUT SOME TRICKS ALSO. DO YOU HAVE ANY IN YOUR ARSENAL?

Coach Dodge: Oh yea, but that's why they call them trick plays.

11:38

[Comment From Magic95Fan ]

How difficult is it to prepare for the games against Ball State and Ohio since we never see MAC games down here? How exactly do you scout them?

11:39

Coach Dodge: Great question! ... It is difficult because there are some new coordinators involved, but they have the same problem with us. We don't play up there too often either.

We have a bunch of tape on them from last year. What we have to do is concentrate on personell and not get caught up in schemes.

11:39

[Comment From GreenBat ]

Are you excited to see what the Jackson 4 (Hilbert, Jamaal, Jamel and Kelvin) bring to the table?

11:41

Coach Dodge: Haha, absolutely. Jamaal is very explosive. Fastest guy on the team, to be exact, and Kelvin is the stronest!

Jamel will be a pretty potent kick returner, and Hilbert has a track background that will lend him well if he can see the field this year. We hope to bring him along slowly.

11:42

[Comment From ThrillerFan ]

How do you feel Michael Jackson's death will affect the upcoming season?

11:43

Coach Dodge: In all seriousness. I was out at Michael Jackson's house taking one of those Hollywood tours the day before he died. It was wild to see that he passed the next day.

11:43

[Comment From Kevin ]

New DL coach Mike Nelson coached against Ohio coach Frank Solich for a decade or so when they were with Iowa State and Nebraska respectively. Do you think having Mike on board will make gameplanning a bit easier againt Ohio? Solich comes from a strong running background, but had about a 50/50 split between run and pass plays in 2008.

11:44

Coach Dodge: I think Mike Nelson on our staff will help coach DeLoach in game planning. He is nothing buy an asset to our staff.

There are quite a few coaches on our schedule that Nelly has come across, not just Solich.

11:44

[Comment From Jeff ]

Do you have any input into the new stadium, like the coaching pressbox location or painting the opponent's locker room pink, etc?

11:45

Coach Dodge: No, but painting the opponent lockerroom pink is a great idea. I'm a huge fan of coach Fry, and I wish I had thought of the idea first.

I haven't had alot of imput on the press box planning.

11:45

[Comment From Joyce ]

Hi Coach! Are you excited about the new stadium finally coming to life and how do you think the anticipation will affect the upcoming season?

11:47

Coach Dodge: The new stadium is very exciting. I haven't seen a Division I program that needs a new stadium as much as this one.

What we are excited about is the atmosphere that it wil create. At Fouts, the fans are so far away from the action, and we will have them right on top of us at the new place.

It has helped tremendously with recruiting. I think all of our players are excited to get into the new place, and starting a new era of North Texas football.

11:48

[Comment From GrandGreen ]

How is Drake progressing and also Jenkins in the offensive line?

11:49

Coach Dodge:

Kelvin Drake was the highlight of the spring. He is so invaluable for us, because he saw so much time before his injury. We are looking forward to moving him to guard, which is his natural position.

He is such an athlete, and has slimmed down to around 290, which is perfect for his body type. When you add that to his leadership qualities, he will be a heck of a player this year.

11:51

Coach Dodge: Jenkins continues to keep his weight down. He should be at a much better place this year, down 30 pounds from his start last year.

He was simply too big to compete last year, but should be in much better shape in August.

11:51

[Comment From Chris ]

How is B.J. Lewis doing? Do you think he will see some playing time at WR this season? Or back on the defensive side of the ball?

11:52

Coach Dodge: BJ is definitely back at receiver. He moved to defense out of necessity last year, but is back in the two deep at the X position.

We are looking for great things from him after a great summer.

11:52

[Comment From D. Lovelace ]

Coach, how do you feel about the Sun Belt Conference this upcoming fall? The league seems to have gotten more competitive top to bottom over the last few seasons. Do you think the recent showings in bowl games and some significant non-conference victories have helped national perception of the SBC?

11:55

Coach Dodge: The wins in the bowl games and the out of conference wins have improved our reputation across the country. People are starting to take notice of Troy, and FAU, which are programs that have reloaded each year.

Its a very competative conference that really comes down to the wire each year.

We should really be rooting for the other teams in our league as well. A win by Middle Tennessee over Maryland is huge for our league. We have a big opportunity to really make an impact against the MAC with games against Ohio and Ball State, and we need everyone pulling for us.

11:57

[Comment From Jeff ]

Do you have much input on future scheduling? Are there any programs you'd like to see on the schedule just for a fun matchup, big or small?

12:00

Coach Dodge: I do have some imput on the schedule. When I got here, the bulk of the scheduling was complete for my initial 5 year contract frame, but there is some wiggle room.

We were able to get out of the Miami game as well as Air Force, which gives us some games.

SMU and TCU should be on our schedule each year, but I would like to see us play Baylor as well. La Tech is a great game for us, as would UTEP.

This 2009 season is the "poster child" for what I want to see on the schedule. We are at home twice in the month of September, and have six games at home overall. Only one guarantee game, and some quality out of conference opponent - MAC or CUSA opponents.

[Comment From Kevin ]

Do you put mustard or mayo on your burgers...or both?

Coach Dodge: Mayo.

Kenny: This will be our last question of the chat session. Once again, thank you for all your questions and interaction. We will have some additional tidbits later this afternoon on our blog. Thanks again and Go Mean Green!

[Comment From Jeff ]

Do you ever see the SBC splitting into divisions? How about the upcoming Texas State and UTSA programs, do you see those as potential entries into the SBC or threats to us eventually?

12:04

Coach Dodge: I don't see the league splitting up into division. The next realignment would probably see us lining up with other teams in the state of Texas.

I see UTSA and Texas State as opportunities for the future of football in this state. The Texas schools need to stick together, and in my opinion, could form a conference of their own. I'm proud to be in the Sun Belt Conference, but us flying to Boca Raton, Fla., while SMU heads to East Carolina just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

12:04

Kenny: That's all the time we've got for today, be sure and check back to see when our next live chat will be, including players.

12:05

Coach Dodge: Thanks a lot for all of your questions and comments, and we look forward to seeing all of you this fall. Go Mean Green!