This Year Vs. Last Year Analysis

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm becoming more and more convinced that 2009 will be a breakout season for the Mean Green. I look for a minimum of four wins, probably five, and possibly a breakeven season.

Starting with the quarterbacks, I'll be comparing this year vs. last year with the Rivals Rating:

Riley Dodge 5.7

Nathan Tune 4.9

Chase Baine 4.9

Derek Thompson 5.3

Giovanni Vizza 5.3

Daniel Meager 5.0

Matt Phillips 4.9

Nathan Tune 4.9

Note: 1) The bold type is gains to this position and the italicized are losses from this position.

2) Those without ratings are given the minimum 4.9.

On the surface it appears that the loss of three former starters would be the death knell for this year's squad. Maybe it will be but keep in perspective that those three starters had a combined total of seven wins.

I was a Vizza fan but became very disappointed with last year's performance. He had more interceptions (16) than he did touchdowns (15) and the lowest quarterback rating (of starters) in the conference. Meager and Phillips had only token appearances at quarterback last year.

At 5.7 Dodge is the highest rated quarterback that we have had, While the Rivals Ratings only goes back about six years it is the highest rating given a freshman in the SBC. Although this will be his initial college season at quarterback, he has run this system for at least the last five so he's more experienced with this version of the spread than any of the previous quarterbacks. He should adapt to the speed of college football quickly. To me, he's just like having a letterman at the position.

Nathan Tune had good high school credentials, having led Celina to a state title, but was not even listed in Rivals recruiting database. He walked on and quickly earned a scholarship but has seen very limited playing time. His QB Rating was around 81 last year (not good, even the weaker quarterbacks are 100 and up). We find that he did have an illness (allergic to wheat gluten) which did not allow him to be in his best physical shape, so with that behind him we can look forward to his having a better year.

Baine is raw but was co-MVP of his 4-A high school district, has pretty good speed, and some potential; he just needs to develop. Thompson has a lot of potential and a future starter but he has a big learning process and will likely be redshirted.

This season depends on Riley Dodge staying healthy. I don't believe that he's injury prone. The collarbone break I believe occured on a hit out of bounds and I doubt that very few of us that have ever played the game has not had a concussion at some point. But, I do worry about the possibility of cheap shots.

This year's quarterbacks are weaker as a unit than last year's but that's due to backup experience. Dodge is more attuned to this spread system, is faster, and should throw fewer interceptions.

I see moderate improvement at the starting role but an impending disaster should Dodge be sidelined. I don't think that he will.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Rivals rate Dodge as an athlete or as a quarterback? I know he was mainly recruited as an athlete by the big conference schools. It would be interesting to know what rating he would have been given strickly as a quarterback.

If you think a freshman QB will be better than a 2 year starter at the college level, well, more power to you. I do hope we rely on the running game (including R. Dodge) more than 50% of the time this season, as I think that will be the strength of the offense.

Edited by UNT90

Did Rivals rate Dodge as an athlete or as a quarterback? I know he was mainly recruited as an athlete by the big conference schools. It would be interesting to know what rating he would have been given strickly as a quarterback.

If you think a freshman QB will be better than a 2 year starter at the college level, well, more power to you. I do hope we rely on the running game (including R. Dodge) more than 50% of the time this season, as I think that will be the strength of the offense.

They rated him as an athlete, not a QB. However, the.... Nevermind. The rubber will meet the road in about a month.

I honestly believe Derek Thompson will be a pleasant surprise for Mean Green fans in the future. Riley has me optimistic about this year, and what he brings to the offense in general, but Thompson provides nice depth to that position and is somewhat 'raw' at this point, though he flashes good tools. Once D. Thompson grasps everything, I think he could push Riley. When that happens, who knows? In the meantime, Riley has me anxious to see what he can do in leading the offense.

I basically agree with GrayEagle, Riley has the potential to be a much better QB than any NT has had since the move back up to FB diviison. However, QB is a scary position for NT not only because they are starting a freshman but they have little depth. As someone has seen a lot of spring games, I have come up with only one conclusion; you can tell practically nothing about the team by watching them. Under Dodge it is even worse, because he seems to be paranoid about divulging anything about the team.

The team will go as Riley goes and I think the odds are that he will have a great freshman year versus be a disappointment. I am concerned that he has no proven targets on the team and the development of the receiving corp could slow down any offensive progress. TD just stated in the chat, that Riley was up to 195 lbs which a good weight no matter what his height really is. If you have to start a freshmen QB, NT has as good an one has anybody. I think Riley will do an excellence job of leading TD's offense. However, the question is; can that offense succeed against good FB Division teams.

They rated him as an athlete once he committed to UT. He was ranked pretty highly as a QB before that.

But you can see here what ESPN recruiting had to say about Riley as a QB.

Riley brings something we haven't had at the QB position since Andrew Smith....speed. He is not a bruiser like Vizza was, wanting to take on linebackers. Riley can get to the corner quickly, in fact I think he almost wants to be a RB and prefers to run it himself sometimes. He had a couple breakaway scoring runs in the spring game had not officials stopped the play due to him being barely touched by a last defender.

Riley Dodge is a great athlete that plays QB.

Riley will bring a new dimension to this team, that

NT football fans have not seen, not to mention

a bunch of DC's that will be very impressed with Riley,

and worried about as well.

Riley has amazing quickness and speed with his running

abilities, as well as his passing skills being very accurate.

As we all know, Riley grew up with this offense. Along the

way, Riley has learned about, and faced, just about every

type of defensive tactic in football. Riley's athletic skills

and his knowlege of the offense and defense, will be a huge

asset alone.

So the age old question is, does the run game set up the passing

game, or does the pasing game set up the running game.

This season, I see the run game setting up the passing game.

Riley will make many great zone read runs this season.

After the Ball State game, the cat will be out of the bag. Every

future DC will be focused on containing or stopping Riley Dodge.

Trying to contain Riley, will just open the door for more offensive

tactics, as the seaon goes along. I am not worried about Riley at all.

Riley will run the offense like a veteran, and will be a major

weapon for NT this season.

Along the

way, Riley has learned about, and faced, just about every

type of defensive tactic in football.

I want Riley to succeed as well, but that is easily one of the dumbest things related to football that has ever been written on this board.

No underclassmen

college quarterback

has even come

close to facing every

type of defensive

tactic in

football.

I want Riley to succeed as well, but that is easily one of the dumbest things related to football that has ever been written on this board.

No underclassmen

college quarterback

has even come

close to facing every

type of defensive

tactic in

football.

PHEW!!! I'm sure glad you clarified "related to football".

No underclassmen

college quarterback

has even come

close to facing every

type of defensive

tactic in

football.

It appears Quoner has been wondering the same thing I have about charlie nt73's unusual style of limiting each line to only about 15 words or so....

Charlie, not trying to pick on you here, but are using some sort of a typewriter (with a bell that dings after 15 words) connected to your PC?? Maybe something that looks like this??

typewriter.jpg

Count me with Charlie nt73...I think Riley will do a fine job and will help (help) lead the Mean Green to at least 5 wins in 2009 to start to move up the win column and back to bowl contention for the Mean Green before he graduates. While he may, in fact, have not seen every defense that can be thrown against him, he is a smart kid, know his position and has played against some of the best whenever he has taken the field as a QB at the level he is playing at the time. I see NOTHING that makes me think that he cannot duplicate that success at the college level. Time will certainly tell, but right now, I think Riley will be just "what the doctor ordered" for the Mean Green offense in 2009. We will see what and what develops as the seasons wear on, but right now...EVERYONE should be 100% behind Riley and the Mean Green.

GO MEAN GREEN.

Edited by KRAM1

Riley brings something we haven't had at the QB position since Andrew Smith....speed. He is not a bruiser like Vizza was, wanting to take on linebackers. Riley can get to the corner quickly, in fact I think he almost wants to be a RB and prefers to run it himself sometimes. He had a couple breakaway scoring runs in the spring game had not officials stopped the play due to him being barely touched by a last defender.

This.

Guest JohnDenver

No underclassmen

college quarterback

has even come

close to facing every

type of defensive

tactic in

football.

Prove it.

Last year, the primary reason we were struggling was NOT the play of the quarterback. I wouldn't even put QB performance in the top 5 reasons we struggled as badly as we did. Heck, I might not even put it in the top 10.

Even if Riley is an improvement over Vizza immediately, I don't think that makes a roach's ass worth of difference in wins and losses. The improvement is going to have to come somewhere else to really make a difference.

Last year, the primary reason we were struggling was NOT the play of the quarterback. I wouldn't even put QB performance in the top 5 reasons we struggled as badly as we did. Heck, I might not even put it in the top 10.

Even if Riley is an improvement over Vizza immediately, I don't think that makes a roach's ass worth of difference in wins and losses. The improvement is going to have to come somewhere else to really make a difference.

If we are going to start winning some games, we will need to be putting it in the endzone more than the other team. If they are scoring 70+ points on us, than so be it!

"Riley, go score 71 for me!" - Todge*

Is it so far fetched when he's already asked Vizza to throw for 7,684,190 TDs vs Navy?

OK, for what it's worth. Because I haven't seen him actually play QB enough, I don't have a strong feeling about Riley Dodge's abilities as a QB, nor can I be worried or not worried about his durability. I can say that he seems to be one of the fastest QB's we've had here since Woody Wilson, but that alone doesn't impress me. What impresses me is leadership ability, and confidence out on the field. It's somewhat difficult to list specific things, but I know a good QB when I see one. When they get out there for the first time and start "leading", I usually sit up in my seat and think "hey now, he looks special".

QB's that have caused me to make that statement.

Jordan Case

Joe Stevenson

Greg Carter

Scott Davis

Mitch Maher (although he had to play several games before I regarded him as "special")

The last QB that really got my attention in such a manner was Scott Hall.

Edited by SilverEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

Excuse me, but a quarterback really doesn't make a difference in the offense? Especially in a passing offense? Maybe the tight end will get us a few more wins.

I agree that the quarterback was not the foremost reason for our poor record last year. Defense and special teams took that honor. But Gio, for the second straight year, had more interceptions than touchdowns and that's not winning football. He had the poorest rating of the eight teams in last year's SBC. Quarterback may not have been the primary reason for our demise but it sure didn't help the situation.

Excuse me, but a quarterback really doesn't make a difference in the offense? Especially in a passing offense? Maybe the tight end will get us a few more wins.

I agree that the quarterback was not the foremost reason for our poor record last year. Defense and special teams took that honor. But Gio, for the second straight year, had more interceptions than touchdowns and that's not winning football. He had the poorest rating of the eight teams in last year's SBC. Quarterback may not have been the primary reason for our demise but it sure didn't help the situation.

Coaching...no tight ends or fullbacks to help block the blitzing on almost every down. Add to the lack of throwing time due to the offensive coaches' poor scheme that Vizza basically had two targets to throw to all year, both of whom graduated. We'll see this year whether or not Dodge opts to protect his QB, or whether he and Ford continue to scheme like they're going into battle with Grapevine High.

I have my doubts because Dodge said they'd use a TE about 33% of the time. So, 67% of the time, our QB will be getting his butt knocked to the ground by a free roaming blitzer. I've stopped wondering when Dodge will wake up to the fact that he's coaching against college competition now, but...it's pointless.

I also think it's funny that people keep saying Riley can run. Wow. That'll really surprise the opponents. There's never been a QB who could run in the Sun Belt. It's so novel. Gee, I wonder how surprised Ricky Bustle, who coached Michael Vick at Virginia Tech, will be to see a QB who can run.

Coaching...no tight ends or fullbacks to help block the blitzing on almost every down. Add to the lack of throwing time due to the offensive coaches' poor scheme that Vizza basically had two targets to throw to all year, both of whom graduated. We'll see this year whether or not Dodge opts to protect his QB, or whether he and Ford continue to scheme like they're going into battle with Grapevine High.

I have my doubts because Dodge said they'd use a TE about 33% of the time. So, 67% of the time, our QB will be getting his butt knocked to the ground by a free roaming blitzer. I've stopped wondering when Dodge will wake up to the fact that he's coaching against college competition now, but...it's pointless.

I also think it's funny that people keep saying Riley can run. Wow. That'll really surprise the opponents. There's never been a QB who could run in the Sun Belt. It's so novel. Gee, I wonder how surprised Ricky Bustle, who coached Michael Vick at Virginia Tech, will be to see a QB who can run.

This is the problem I have with the hype on Riley. So the guy can run, how many QB's in the FBS do NOT have the ability to run? Unless Riley is Mike Vick, NT won't shoot to .500 from that alone. His work in high school is 2nd to none, but at the high school level 1 player can flat out dominate a game. Talent is not watered down and everyone can run at the FBS level. Physical attributes are just as important as talent at certain positions. I hope to god Riley is the 2nd coming of Mike Vick!!!!!!