Unt Schedule...

BIG DAWG

Not exactly. WW commented during Media Days that conference AD's want to remain at 4 home 4 away leaving 4 OC games.

From a post on the Belt board.

1.Waters said the league has discussed requently with ADs what the league should do with conference scheduling when South Alabama joins the football conference in 2012. With WKU entering the league, each team can play 4 home league games and 4 road league games, which is excellent.

He said there are leagues that have experimented with 9 league games and the Sun Belt has talked with those leagues. He expects eventually it will be an economics based decision. Right now, he said the ADs seem to prefer a continued 8 game conference schedule with a rotation of the missed game each year with the exception of one common opponent every year (he gave the example of MT and WKU as one permanent opponent possibility).

Waters said if attendance for league games improves in the next couple years that they might consider playing 9 conference games, but right now the ADs need the flexibility of having 4 non-conference games to make sure bills get paid.

Thanks for the info; good idea to stay with the 4/4 format. Here is a blog entry about this topic from B.Vito...

.....................................................................................................................................................

UNT's future schedule could be affected by partner system

4:27 PM Thu, Jul 23, 2009

Brett Vito

There has been a lot of talk about UNT's future football schedule over the last few days, mostly about the Mean Green's nonconference slate.

Well, there is an interesting issue that could affect UNT's future with the Sun Belt schedule that still has to be worked out. South Alabama is joining the league, which will give it 10 teams. Right now, there are nine teams with four home and four road games a season.

The addition of USA in 2012 will throw the schedule off. As of now, the league plans on handling the issue by maintaining the four-home, four-away slate. Each team will miss one conference opponent per season. The problem with that setup is that there is no way the Sun Belt is going to have the league's key rivals not play in a given year.

Sun Belt officials said this week that each team in the league will have a rival they will play each season. Outgoing USA athletic director Joe Gottfried told Drew over at the Dothan Eagle that Troy and USA will play every year. That makes sense.

The question that will be interesting is who will UNT's rival be? I asked Sun Belt associate commissioner John McElwain and he said that had yet to be determined.

There are already a bunch of pairings that make sense.

Troy-South Alabama

Florida Atlantic-Florida International

Louisiana-Lafayette- Louisiana-Monroe

Middle Tennessee-Western Kentucky

That would leave UNT and Arkansas State as the final yearly pairing.

We have played Auburn in the past.

Are you SURE you're not thinking of Alabama? I mean... 100% sure?

It's shockingly easy to get them mixed up. Maybe you should double check.

I'm not saying that you've got it wrong, just that it would be easy for ANYONE to confuse the two.

Ask Green Grenade about his trip to Jordan Hare Stadium to see that game, it is a really funny journey to hear about.

That guy needs to write a book about his life's adventures. Standing next to the guy and listening to him talk you're guaranteed to hear some interesting stories. I know I'd buy a copy. :D

I always take these future schedules with a grain of salt......too many times these never pan out due to buyouts and better opportunities for the big whigs........but they do look interesting......

my only question is why the UGA, Tennessee, LSU, Bama, Gator's of the world when we have plenty of powerhouse's right in our own back yard.........Oklahoma. OSU, TU and A&M "I think" would make a bigger impact of future recruits and fans if we could somehow steal one....dont get me wrong..a win in Bama would be huge...but a win over OU or Tu would be Bigger!!!!

either way...I am up for my annual road trip game....BRING ON THE SEASON!

PS>>>>i know it takes two to tango....just wish we could play more regional powerhouses

Edited by RETSO