Sun Belt Hopes To Profit From Poor Economy

MeanGreen61

"Waters said his teams are also going to reach out to conferences such as the MAC and Conference USA for nonconference games and do away with games against the FCS."

NT has been doing this already but RV recently said we may start scheduling FCS teams to open the seasons like other programs now do. I'd prefer to play a CUSA or MAC team but I understand about the benfit of FCS teams not wanting a return game.

I don't see the belt going anywhere but south of south.....poor times, poor conference, means rough seas, imo.

Not even Sir Riley can save the belt. Sh*t not even Todd himself can save the Belt.

From what I have read rough seas are ahead for everyone. Sure hitting the University of Tennessee hard. Still, the SBC is now apart of the landscape of BCS football and there is a solid symbiotic relationship in play here. The Auto Qualifying BCS Conferences have no intention of letting the other BCS conferences fail.

When we get hit between the eyes with the government's fiscal policies inflation will make a $900,000 guarantee chump change.

There is a forum for you to talk politics, please do it there. I don't want any politics in my football, and I don't want any football in my politics.

From what I have read rough seas are ahead for everyone. Sure hitting the University of Tennessee hard. Still, the SBC is now apart of the landscape of BCS football and there is a solid symbiotic relationship in play here. The Auto Qualifying BCS Conferences have no intention of letting the other BCS conferences fail.

Yeah, God forbid that they have to actually play each other and risk a loss.

The roaches have always been projected to survive nuclear winter.

If you look at the typical Sun Belt, WAC, MAC school's real budget the things that stand out are:

1. Ticket revenue ain't a big chunk of change.

2. Donations don't amount to much.

3. Sponsorships are all but non-existent.

4. TV revenue is negligible.

The source of revenue tends to be:

1. Student fees

2. Transfers from profitable university operations.

3. Game guarantees.

A bad economy means sponsor and donor dollars dry up and people will give up football tickets if that's what's needed to keep the air conditioner running and the mortgage paid. Future TV deals will be weaker do to weak ad revenue. When you aren't counting on those things as a huge portion of your budget a downturn in those revenue sources isn't that harmful.

Now historically a bad economy means more people go to college to ride out the economic storm. More people get advanced degrees to be more competitive in the marketplace. More students means more student fee income for athletics. Now if state budget cuts are bad enough, colleges will have to tap into dorm, cafeteria, vending machine and bookstore profits to make budget, but all of those revenue sources will likely grow with increased enrollments.

Game guarantees are the tough call but the schools struggling to pay those are going to be more willing to sign 2 for 1 and home/home deals.

Overall, the poor schools, will see their revenue available for athletics be in the flat area. Based on current tourism information I've received, the poor economy is helping local restaurants, movies and vacation options in most areas as people swap a weekend lake trip or two for a week at the beach, or at Disney or skiing. They are swapping a trip to the movies and/or a nice restaurant dinner for vacation spending. $15 for a Sun Belt game ticket vs. $40 to $55 for Big XII or SEC ticket is a trade you may see some people make who aren't hard-core fans. Having the weaker BCS schools struggle to pay guarantees can be good too by improving home schedules.

I think the current climate is about as positive as it can be for the poorer programs.