Legalize Marijuana ?

One of the main issues of pot being illegal is how inconsistent the laws are state to state, or even city to city. Here in Austin you can pretty much blaze up on the Capitol grounds, but head up I-35 north 30 miles to Williamson county and there is no leniency. Maybe things have changed since the mid-90's, but a friend of mine got pulled over in West Texas for not wearing a seat belt. When the cop asked him if he had any drugs in the car, he dug around the back seat of his pick up and found a gram of weed (not even enough for a joint) and gave it to the officer. The cop hauled his ass in. It's funny, he told me, "I've seen enough episodes of 'COPS' to know that if you are cool with them, they're usually cool with you. I guess I got pulled over in the wrong county." That tiny amount of weed cost him a ton of money in legal fees and a night in jail.

There is a very good book on this subject, called "Reefer Madness" by one of my favorite journalists, Eric Schlosser, author of "Fast Food Nation". The book covers a few other areas, but 1/3 of it is about marijuana.

Another good book that covers the history of marijuana is, "Botany of Desire", by Michael Pollan. Marijuana is only a small part of the book, but a good read nonetheless.

don't be such a f'n smartass. 4 years ago I had a car stolen. I talked to 3 different police officers and was told 3 totally different things to do, it was obvious none of them had a clue what they were talking about. I then went to a detective and told him about my experience with the 3 cops. He basically shook his head and commented about what a bunch of dumbasses they were. There have been in the past and still are people getting arrested for small amounts of pot. Maybe if you were as smart as you tried to portray on here, you wouldn't be a cop.

You know? I usually avoid cops in general. Its all part of my general life philosophy that power corrupts people and cops are people with power.

Now, before emmitt or anyone else starts yelling at me, I am smart enough to know that not every cop is a power hungry douche bag. But, I know people, and so far in my 23 years I have met some asshole cops.

For example, my mom was dropping off her friend one night around 7pm earlier this year. Some cop pulls up. My mom is thinking that maybe her blinker is out or something along those lines, he walks up to the driver side window and says: 'nice tits'.

No lie.

wtf is that bs?

Stories like that coupled with the fact that this last year I have made friends ( for some godawful reason ) with apt managers who deal with cops in Denton alot. Lets just say that they don't give them glowing reviews. Aside from the few bright ones, they give me the impression that we have a lot of C-stringers here who maybe didn't have much else to do, and so they decided to sign up to be a cop.

Also, the general decay of a civilization has more to do with laziness and inflated senses of self worth, i.e. 'We are better than them because we are Babylonians/Assyrians/Egyptians/Romans/Greeks/British/Americans. After a while successful societies built on hard work and humility become complacent in their old age (nationally speaking of course- we are 225+ yo) and don't do the things that once made them who they were.

I forget the Roman dude who decried the changing and Greekifying of Roman culture, changing the ideal Roman from a hard working farmer/soldier to a fancy boy philosopher. Or something like that.

So yeah. Again, legalize it and lets worry about putting smarter cops on the street.

Edited by aztecskin

If you don't like his fire, then don't come around......

I once stirred the pot and turned up the fire....

For example, my mom was dropping off her friend one night around 7pm earlier this year. Some cop pulls up. My mom is thinking that maybe her blinker is out or something along those lines, he walks up to the driver side window and says: 'nice tits'.

No lie.

wtf is that bs?

Well - are they? I'd be much more hesitant to judge him if he was at least telling the truth.

• Downvote 1

You know? I usually avoid cops in general. Its all part of my general life philosophy that power corrupts people and cops are people with power.

Now, before emmitt or anyone else starts yelling at me, I am smart enough to know that not every cop is a power hungry douche bag. But, I know people, and so far in my 23 years I have met some asshole cops.

No lie.

wtf is that bs?

Stories like that coupled with the fact that this last year I have made friends ( for some godawful reason ) with apt managers who deal with cops in Denton alot. Lets just say that they don't give them glowing reviews. Aside from the few bright ones, they give me the impression that we have a lot of C-stringers here who maybe didn't have much else to do, and so they decided to sign up to be a cop.

Also, the general decay of a civilization has more to do with laziness and inflated senses of self worth, i.e. 'We are better than them because we are Babylonians/Assyrians/Egyptians/Romans/Greeks/British/Americans. After a while successful societies built on hard work and humility become complacent in their old age (nationally speaking of course- we are 225+ yo) and don't do the things that once made them who they were.

I forget the Roman dude who decried the changing and Greekifying of Roman culture, changing the ideal Roman from a hard working farmer/soldier to a fancy boy philosopher. Or something like that.

So yeah. Again, legalize it and lets worry about putting smarter cops on the street.

I can't deny that there are some who don't need to be police officers. The problem is one of a need for quantity leading to a lack of quality. When you are mandated to fill a number of vacancies you attract the two worst kinds of applicants, those who just "need a job" and, worse, the cop groupies who would do anything/everything to live the life. You'll find them usually working security at the mall or your apt complex and if you ask them they would/could/should be officers already except for (insert excuse here).

Edited by emmitt01

I can't deny that there are some who don't need to be police officers. The problem is one of a need for quantity leading to a lack of quality. When you are mandated to fill a number of vacancies you attract the two worst kinds of applicants, those who just "need a job" and, worse, the cop groupies who would do anything/everything to live the life. You'll find them usually working security at the mall or your apt complex and if you ask them they would/could/should be officers already except for (insert excuse here).

Exactly. In fact, I know some of those people.

But do you see how giving the questionable noob cops one less thing to have to look out for could be beneficial? One less thing for them to worry about. Just, 'Is the guy speeding? Yes? Write Ticket.' 'Is the guy illegally parked?' No? Do not write ticket'

and 'Did detective ask you to dust for finger prints? Yes? Are you having success? No? Then don't announce loudly to all present, who may include the perpetrators, that you do not have a print.' (<-- happened)

You know, stuff like that.

Edited by aztecskin

No lie.

wtf is that bs?

which came first...weed or laziness?

Eff the Assyrians.

One thing to consider is that the pot definitely ages one more quickly. I went to high school with this guy, he picked up the habit, and now look at him.

yoda_smoking.jpg

:lol:

I knew you were a bit older, but man, you're pushing 900 years? How was that whole Magna Carta thing anyways?

Almost 2/3rds say yes. At least now I know why many of our fanbase doesn't make any sense when they talk football.

And why our endowment is so low. Spending it all on pot = lazy = no job = no money for UNT athletics = Fouts Field = high school coach = substandard recruiting classes = poor special teams play = no defense = 3 -21.

It's quite obvious that marihuana is responsible for the last three years, if not the last decade. Good thing we don't test our players. Oh, wait....

Deep in the catacombs of UNT Athletics a few years ago.....

RV: (takes puff) 'Dude. You know what? That Dodge is awwwwsome. His teams won like, a million games in a row already. Wouldn't it be cool if he was our coach?

Friend: " haha. Totally dude. We should like, hire him and stuff.

RV: 'And change our uniforms to be the same as them! Then WE would win like a million games in a row."

Edited by aztecskin

RV: (takes puff) 'Dude. You know what? That Dodge is awwwwsome. His teams won like, a million games in a row already. Wouldn't it be cool if he was our coach?

RV: 'And change our uniforms to be the same as them! Then WE would win like a million games in a row."

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

So many inappropriate responses about marijuana in the UNT locker room. So little time.

Almost 2/3rds say yes. At least now I know why many of our fanbase doesn't make any sense when they talk football.

The status quo of selective nonenforcement is basically legalized use without taxation. At least it looked that way the last time I was in California. Folks were basically just smoking in whatever public place they wanted to. I thought you were a free market advocate. The present scenario probably results in most marijuana sales being among those junior high through college age. But hey, prohibition worked real well. I'd say the reason most people who used to smoke pot quit had nothing to do with it being illegal, but a lot to do with drug testing for work and nagging by family. I favor the drug testing for work and nagging by family. Probably the greatest percentage of people using marijuana in Texas was when the maximum penalty for any amount was up to life in prison.