Thank You To Our Alumni Association For The Event Tonight.

Thank you to Derek Morgan and staff and to Kram and everyone involved for the great event tonight at the Pourhouse.

The latest sketches of the stadium were on display an are exciting indeed. They included a pin-point accurate architectural draft of the seating arrangements from an overhead point of view. And let me say there won't be a bad seat in the house no matter where you are. Also, the ideas they are wanting to attempt with the pond next to the stadium is great and they are going to attempt to arrange it so that we can keep bonfire there on site. One factor affecting that is that Bonnie Brea will eventually be 5 lanes wide, cutting into that area and reducing the space around the pond. So we'll see how that plays out. Overall, I'm happy that the event that is the NT Bonfire is being kept in mind with this project....TRADITION!

The latest situation with the Goldfields was thoroughly discussed and my concerns with that and how the university responds to negative press are now at ease and I'll simply refer back to GTBG's reponse here for that.

It was also great to hear coach Dodge speak about the upcoming season. He reiterated that the stadium campaign is having a very positive affect on recruiting as well as the fact that we will be the first game of the season on ESPN. Whenever you speak with him and Elizabeth you can't help but come away with a great feeling of hope and pride that our program will succeed.

Thanks again for all those who put this event on. It was well worth the drive up.

Rick

FFR...many thanks for the cooments. It was great to see you there and talk a little Mean Green stadium and football. I feel for those who could not attend as the comments from RV were "spot on", and I loved the "fire" with which he made the comments. The stadium update was just what I was looking forward to hearing and I do not think RV disappointed anyone present with the comments. I am now more convinced than ever that the stadium will be built and the dirt will turn in January! I know "things" beyond anyone's control can push that date back, but RV seems determined to get the dirt turning. Great to hear that such progress has been made in lining up the buyers for the club level and boxes. And, on top of that, more than one possibility exists for stadium naming rights with negotiations on-going at some pretty impressive amounts.

It was striking to me to hear RV talk about "cleaning up the program" and how Coach Dodge has moved the program forward. For me, it was telling that RV spent so much time in one-on-one and in small group settings talkining about the stadium, the football program, the current state of media relations, the program as a whole, etc., etc. I doubt that many programs fans in general (not the big boys and girls, of course) get this sort of one-on-one with their AD's and such candid and "from the heart" comments.

Great evening...We were not aware that Coach Dodge would attend...we had not asked for his attendance as we felt he would be too busy after the camps, etc. However, he showed up, and even spoke to the group and answered any questions asked. GREAT GUY...and Mrs,. RV and Mrs. Dodge were in attendance too. Now, how about THAT MERAN GREEN FANS??? Really great.

My only concern was with the sparse attendance...I counted (roughly) 45 people including athletic dept and Alumni staff. That is too bad...a lot of effort and time goes into setting these mixers up...I was told we had well over 50 RSVP's from the Alumni facebook site and I know of several others...so, what happened? RV even mentioned that there should be double or triple that amount when the event is right in Denton...or the metroplex...I promise you that if the Oklahoma State Alumni put on a mixer in Stillwater last evening with the AD and Head Coach the attendance would be in the hundreds. How can we "fuss" about lack of communication and lack of access and lack of "customer service" when it is really there for the taking and fans do not even bother to show up? Well, we will keep trying...youcan count on that, and hopefully fans will take advantage of these opportunities.

If you came...my many thanks to you..your attendance and support is very much appreciated...if you missed it...well, give it some thought for next time...UNT needs your support. I would love to see "hundreds" show up for UNT juast like they do for the OSU's of the world...you want to be in the big time? Well, you can help get UNT there...Thanks to all who helped put this event on and to the Pourhouse staff for being so great...and thanks again to Rick V and to Coach Dodge for their comments. Makes me glad to be a member of the Mean Green Nation. Can't wait for kick-off...as Coach Dodge said...UNT will be "first up" on ESPN...to that I added UNT will record the first victory of the 2009 season!!!! GO MEAN GREEN!

I was there and was very pleased with the comments and questions by everyone. I would like to thank everyone from the Alumni Association, Athletics Department, Rick V, Coach Dodge, and everyone who was there for putting this on and taking the time to be there to talk and answer questions. Also a big thanks to The Pourhouse staff for doing a great job! I will definitely be going to as many mixers in the future as I can. I hope that next time the number of people attending is double or triple what it was last night though.

Point of clarification. The Denton Chapter of the Alumni Association planned and hosted the event. Many thanks to Chris and Mark and the rest of the Denton group for putting the event together. It was good to see Derrick and the national association reps there, too.

One question addressed last night, that needs to pressed on the board and in the community is what can we do get more fans/supports/etc in the room. We should brainstorm ideas that gets donors to more events and soon to be donors or other season ticket holders. I was suspired to find out the stadium is on track to break ground in January. After the meeting I spoke with some Alumni fans I have in Houston, they were surprised to hear the good news as well. Maybe one thing we can do is encourage more public feedback/information from the AD department. They mentioned the North Texan, maybe a page should in the magazine could be dedicated to stadium news, football news, and event schedules. This way our fans outside the DFW area do not have to find out dated article postings on the board. More importantly for all the big donors out there, you know who you are. Open up to the new guys. When you see a new face at the meeting introduce yourself. When all the regulars stand in a corner and all the new faces stand in a corner, next week the regulars will be in the same corner and the new faces will be gone. Lets to better at meeting new people and potential mean green donors.

One question addressed last night, that needs to pressed on the board and in the community is what can we do get more fans/supports/etc in the room. We should brainstorm ideas that gets donors to more events and soon to be donors or other season ticket holders. I was suspired to find out the stadium is on track to break ground in January. After the meeting I spoke with some Alumni fans I have in Houston, they were surprised to hear the good news as well. Maybe one thing we can do is encourage more public feedback/information from the AD department. They mentioned the North Texan, maybe a page should in the magazine could be dedicated to stadium news, football news, and event schedules. This way our fans outside the DFW area do not have to find out dated article postings on the board.

The lack of fans attending is directly proportional to communication and the amount of fans knowing it exists. Communication of events and information at NT has in my opinion always been lacking. I live in Collin County and am a member of the Alumni Association, but not any specific chapter that I am aware of. The only notice I ever saw for this mixer was on this board. Nothing in the mail, no phone call, no email notice, no mention on the Official Athletic site that I saw, nothing. You can't expect word-of-mouth to draw hundreds of fans. This was very stadium-news oriented; I suspect many thought it would be just mostly association news and recruitment?

RV addressed he would not respond back to the newspapers as he doubted they would print the correct story anyway, and I agree. But he can and should put it on the Athletic site, as well as news, or pics of the stadium designs that were shown (with disclaimers they may change of course), and perhaps regular updates with what is going on. He is great to talk with and will tell you anything you want to know about things. I just hate he has to probably repeat it 20 times to 20 people at these things. It would be easier to keep everyone on the same page with a single-source of info location, like a web site. Then, meetings like this could also be announced or where athletic staff and coaches would be speaking in case fans wanted to attend. I know updated websites take time and effort but it truly is the only way to keep people in the loop.

Other tidbits from the meeting:

-We will play 6 home football games in 2010, including Kansas State and Rice.

-We will not host Texas for our new stadium opening in 2011, nor Florida, nor Georgia either, nor any huge program, in fact RV wants to do like other schools and gain early momentum for the team with wins, so,,, expect even some 1-AA games to be scheduled.

-Riley's weight is up to 195 pounds.

-We should have word on the OU transfer receiver's status within 2 weeks from the NCAA.

-I believe Coach Dodge said 85 of 93 players are in Denton working out this summer, does not include incoming freshmen.

Edited by NT80

Also, the ideas they are wanting to attempt with the pond next to the stadium is great and they are going to attempt to arrange it so that we can keep the homecoming bonfire there on site. One factor affecting that is that Bonnie Brea will eventually be 5 lanes wide, cutting into that area and reducing the space around the pond. So we'll see how that plays out. Overall, I'm happy that the event that is the NT Bonfire is being kept in mind with this project....TRADITION!

I would sure like to see Bonnie Brae rerouted to curve and cross the railroad tracks north of the softball (and hopefully future baseball stadium)to eliminate the prospect of having a 5 lane thoroughfare dividing the athletic village. A Bonnie Brae route visible from I-35W would also enable the possibility of having a small restaurant row close to that section of campus.

The latest sketches of the stadium were on display an are exciting indeed. They included a pin-point accurate architectural draft of the seating arrangements from an overhead point of view. And let me say there won't be a bad seat in the house no matter where you are.

This thread is worthless without pictures. Didn't anybody use their cell phone to snap a picture?

One question addressed last night, that needs to pressed on the board and in the community is what can we do get more fans/supports/etc in the room. We should brainstorm ideas that gets donors to more events and soon to be donors or other season ticket holders.

Well, I think first and foremost, we have to have regular mixers. I think we should approach the Pourhouse about a regularly scheduled monthly meeting. I will bring this up at the next UNTAA-Denton meeting.

This thread is worthless without pictures. Didn't anybody use their cell phone to snap a picture?

Here you go. Here's the CAD birds eye view I mentioned earlier. It looks as if the sidelines may be very tight and within close proximity to the fans.

stadium2_500x375.jpg

SilverEagle

It's my understanding that not only did FFR get the recognition that he greatly deserved for rebuilding BOOMER, but drex was also publically recognized for his efforts in getting the stadium painted.

WAY TO GO GUYS!

I appreciate it SE. But as you know I had a lot of help. Boomer and it's Limber would not have happened without alumni Keith and Susan Swartz and Alex Balic.

Rick

Here you go. Here's the CAD birds eye view I mentioned earlier. It looks as if the sidelines may be very tight and within close proximity to the fans.

stadium2_500x375.jpg

SilverEagle

I appreciate it SE. But as you know I had a lot of help. Boomer and it's Limber would not have happened without alumni Keith and Susan Swartz and Alex Balic.

Rick

i really like the stadium from this new prespective...

stadium2_500x375.jpg

SilverEagle

Rick

If you use the yard markings on the field for scale, the stands are about 45 feet from the sidelines at it's deepest point, (50 yard line) and about 30 feet from the sidelines at the corner of the endzones.

Some points...if you read my firt post, RV said we would break ground on the stadium in January of 2010.

Secondly...if you are a member of the Alumni Association and receive their notices and Facbook site, the Mixer was there and over 50 people RSVP'd for the Mixer through the Facebook site. One question...if you RSVP'd through facebook, why didn't you show up? I know some did, but many people there, like me, drex, Mort, etc., etc. are not on Facebook and we were there...so, why RSVP if you do not plan to come?

About other cahpters...get in touch with the Alumni Association and ask how you can get a chapter started in your area...I know events have been held in Ft. Woth and dallas as well as Houston and Denton. The Denton activity you see is due to the efforts of the local "volunteers" who make up the Denton Chapter Board and give their time and energies to make things happen. If you want something to happen, it is often good to get involved and help make it happen. If you want to PM me, I can give you some contact info.

I am 100% certain the RV and others in the athletic dept. would be more than willing to attend events with other active chapters...they have always been willing to work with us...one reason is because we work with them and see it as a partnership and teat it as such.

It is a great way to be part of the MEAN GREEN NATION and meet a bunch of great fans and supporters of the Mean Green.

As far as a monthly get together at the Pourhose...great idea, but we probably should look to spread the event around to other supporters of the Mean Green and UNT as well as the Pourhouse. The Pourhouse has the Coach Dodge and Johnny Jones shows, and there are other spots around the area that could be good hosts and get the benefit of their support of the mean green..Anyway, Flyer is correct...we will definitely have that on the agenda at our next board meeting.

Appreciate the feedback...thanks.

GO MEAN GREEN! GO ALUMNI...GO MEAN GREEN CLUB...and while you are at it...think about purchasing a "Tank Army" T-Shirt or two from the Denton Chapter in support of their scholarship fund efforts and think about a raffle ticket from Jon and the Mean Green Club...I bought my first at the mixer...goes to a good cause and you might win a trip to Hawaii. Folks are always asking how they can get involved...well there's a couple of easy and low cast ways to help fund scholarships and the athletic dept. efforts. Think about it.

If you use the yard markings on the field for scale, the stands are about 45 feet from the sidelines at it's deepest point, (50 yard line) and about 30 feet from the sidelines at the corner of the endzones.

Yes, RV said it's about 15 yards to the first row of the stands from the sideline, or about where the first lane of the track (on the field side) at Fouts is now. He also said that small stands in the south endzone would not be there but it would instead be a berm or another type of surface, to be determined. The gradual slope from the NT locker room down to field level would be about 10 feet. The visitors locker room access is thru the field portal on the lower left of the stands.

I asked RV about an exterior facade around the endzone and he said they are very expensive. I believe he said to put cultured stone or brick on the pressbox building side would have been about $4 million added to the cost, thus they are looking at different type surface. The glass will be a similar green as what is in the AC. He said Smut spent around $11 million for the brick facade around their stadium, and that was at cost 8 years ago or so.

Yes, RV said it's about 15 yards to the first row of the stands from the sideline, or about where the first lane of the track (on the field side) at Fouts is now. He also said that small stands in the south endzone would not be there but it would instead be a berm or another type of surface, to be determined. The gradual slope from the NT locker room down to field level would be about 10 feet. The visitors locker room access is thru the field portal on the lower left of the stands.

I asked RV about an exterior facade around the endzone and he said they are very expensive. I believe he said to put cultured stone or brick on the pressbox building side would have been about $4 million added to the cost, thus they are looking at different type surface. The glass will be a similar green as what is in the AC. He said Smut spent around $11 million for the brick facade around their stadium, and that was at cost 8 years ago or so.

It seems like Acme Brick could give us a price break, since they have that brick plant in Denton, and it could be great advertising for them at the I35E-I35W split.

It seems like Acme Brick could give us a price break, since they have that brick plant in Denton, and it could be great advertising for them at the I35E-I35W split.

great idea. anyone have any connections or want to venture a contact to them and propose such a deal like donating free brick to the local school stadium for program recognition? if only unt athletics had people who made such calls for the program. humm. :rolleyes:

great idea. anyone have any connections or want to venture a contact to them and propose such a deal like donating free brick to the local school stadium for program recognition? if only unt athletics had people who made such calls for the program. humm. :rolleyes:

How do you know that calls haven't been made by ?