For You Ea Sports Ncaa Football Fans

gangrene

I found this interesting headline to a recent blog: Where Syracuse Is A National Power And North Texas Is My Concubine

I wondered, why all the hate from a Syracuse fan? Upon reading the above blog entry, the only reference to UNT was this:

There's few things in life more satisfying to me than taking Syracuse and turning them into a perennial national champion while also crushing the soul of North Texas football...and this is why I am the way I am.

Then, upon further investigation, I clicked on the link to the source of the writer's hatred towards our Mean Green (written July 7,2007).

At the forefront of my hatred is North Texas. In reality, if the Mean Green ever made it to the Rose Bowl and defeated USC to end the season ranked #2 in the nation, I would consider it a victory for college football. In the video game, this happens every season and its slowly driving me insane. I've done many dynasties, not just with the 2007 version of the game but also with the 2006 version and for some reason, at some point North Texas becomes a college football powerhouse the likes of which makes Alabama and Michigan tremble. They have multiple Heisman winners, they've won the Sun Belt fifteen times in a row and they go undefeated more often than not.

I've always figured that the CEO of EA Sports went to North Texas or perhaps the programmers are from the greater-Denton area. I came across a message board where others plagued by the same North Texas dilemma think that it has to do with the game's inherent recruiting flaw that makes all teams from California, Florida and Texas become good (which explains why Cal, USC, Texas, Texas A&M, Miami, Florida are always in the hunt for the title and North Texas, Florida Atlantic and Fresno State are always in the Top 25 and flirting with undefeated seasons).

I decided to keep track of things for a few seasons, see if it was just me getting hot and bothered over nothing or if this was an epidemic ripping apart my quaint 1 a.m. existence. Over the course of six seasons, North Texas finished in the Top 5 three times, went to five BCS bowls and went undefeated twice. I knew what needed to be done.

Up until now I had only played the game to benefit teams. To turn mediocre programs in powerhouses. I was God. And as such, if I had the power to give success, I also had the power to take it. I took over at head coach at the University of North Texas. My reign only lasted two seasons before my contract was not renewed but in that time I made amazing strides. Worst recruiting class in the country both times, no conference titles and a combined record of 6-16.

I had ruined North Texas football. And it felt good.

I don’t know exactly what the point of all this is except to admit to the world that I am an uber-dork. Perhaps there are others out there plagued by the North Texas Mean Green and this will provide some sense of comfort for them. And perhaps its a statement of hope that the 2008 version of the game will be free from ridiculous team powerhouses rising from the Sun Belt Conference.

But I should let you know that my glory was short lived. As soon as I relegated North Texas from the picture, Rice went undefeated, won the Sugar Bowl and finished #3 in the nation.

Owls, thy name is enemy.

Too funny and too bad that winning scenario only exists in the virtual world.

We bantered on a few things with this guy from the TY site after he wrote this. Tasty and he are even super best friends. Tasty, tell us about your northeastern buddy....

Also, this is just funny:

Up until now I had only played the game to benefit teams. To turn mediocre programs in powerhouses. I was God. And as such, if I had the power to give success, I also had the power to take it. I took over at head coach at the University of North Texas. My reign only lasted two seasons before my contract was not renewed but in that time I made amazing strides. Worst recruiting class in the country both times, no conference titles and a combined record of 6-16.