Riley Dodge Injury-prone?

BIG DAWG

Yes, he banged his shoulder up pretty good in his last game for Carroll, and he got a "concussion" vs. Rice...but...was the whole concussion thing made to be more than it was???

My thinking is that Dodge saw what the 2008 season was turning out to be...Riley got his bell rung, and Dad saw an opportunity to pull back his redshirt year. When I saw Riley come on the field that first game, and saw that he was about to burn his redshirt year as a slot receiver I was livid.

MAYBE...Todge realized this was a dumb move too, and decided to play up the whole "concussion" to regain the redshirt for Riley.

Would as many be doubting his durability if weren't for the concussion??? I don't think so...not nearly to the degree where most people don't think he can make it through week one.

Then people run their mouths about Riley not taking any hits in Spring Ball, but I remember everyone up in arms when Scott Hall and Danny Meager were being pummled during practices. Don't get me wrong, I was one of them, and I am glad Riley didn't take any unnecessary hits, as I wish Scott or Danny didn't. (that game at Texas goes a little different if Scott didn't get killed during fall practice...not saying we win that game, but it is closer than 27-0)

Just a thought...I am tired of hearing about Riley's durability before the kid gets on the field

Yes, he banged his shoulder up pretty good in his last game for Carroll, and he got a "concussion" vs. Rice...but...was the whole concussion thing made to be more than it was???

My thinking is that Dodge saw what the 2008 season was turning out to be...Riley got his bell rung, and Dad saw an opportunity to pull back his redshirt year. When I saw Riley come on the field that first game, and saw that he was about to burn his redshirt year as a slot receiver I was livid.

MAYBE...Todge realized this was a dumb move too, and decided to play up the whole "concussion" to regain the redshirt for Riley.

Would as many be doubting his durability if weren't for the concussion??? I don't think so...not nearly to the degree where most people don't think he can make it through week one.

Then people run their mouths about Riley not taking any hits in Spring Ball, but I remember everyone up in arms when Scott Hall and Danny Meager were being pummled during practices. Don't get me wrong, I was one of them, and I am glad Riley didn't take any unnecessary hits, as I wish Scott or Danny didn't. (that game at Texas goes a little different if Scott didn't get killed during fall practice...not saying we win that game, but it is closer than 27-0)

Just a thought...I am tired of hearing about Riley's durability before the kid gets on the field

You could be right I had similar thoughts, I guess we will see soon enough.

He is asked to run and pass more than a pro-style QB which makes the risks of an injury greater.

I'll give you that, but I think you are going to see smart running from Riley. You are going to see him go out of bounds, slide, etc. You won't see him droping his shoulder and taking on LBers like Vizza used to do all the time.

I have thought the same things; I know he took some pretty good shots in his junior year; I saw him for the first time when they beat Euless Trinity in Bi-District and went on to win state. There was talk that he may have been knocked a little woozy in the Trinity game; I did see Youri Yenga (all state defensive mvp by some rating service-he's at SMU now) fly over an offensive lineman and land on top of him in the last minutes of the game. He went on to run in the winning score in that game. My understanding is that the guy who hit him in the Abilene game and separated his shoulder is one great athlete.

I doubt if there was anything done blatantly against the rules for medical redshirting. The rules seem set up to result in a judgment call by the NCAA as to who gets the medical.

I am not saying that any rules were broken...just with a concussion, there is a gray area there. I just think that Dodge thought to himself...we weren't going to play for a championship or anything last year, I think the decision to burn his redshirt was done to spark the team, it didn't, and he had the opportunity to get Riley another year...

I am not saying that any rules were broken...just with a concussion, there is a gray area there. I just think that Dodge thought to himself...we weren't going to play for a championship or anything last year, I think the decision to burn his redshirt was done to spark the team, it didn't, and he had the opportunity to get Riley another year...

I'm not disagreeing with you; and do think "gray area" describes the matter (pun intended) well.

Concussions are taken so seriously these days...and rightfully so...it would be hard not give a player a medical redshirt coming off a concussion...just makes good sense

Especially with a smaller player like Riley who had already had his collarbone broken in his final high school game. He should have been redshirted all along, concussion or not, to gain more size.

Especially with a smaller player like Riley who had already had his collarbone broken in his final high school game. He should have been redshirted all along, concussion or not, to gain more size.

And this is the reason for the injury concern. He is 5'9" 185lbs, not exactly ideal size for a D1 QB. This is what causes me concern for injury more than any previous injury history. The guy is just really small for the position he plays.

And this is the reason for the injury concern. He is 5'9" 185lbs, not exactly ideal size for a D1 QB. This is what causes me concern for injury more than any previous injury history. The guy is just really small for the position he plays.

Dude, you're preaching to the choir. I've said all along he's too small. I didn't think a redshirt year would magically make him 6 foot 2 and 220 pounds.

But, any size beyond the 160 or so he arrived with is better. This is the only FBS school in America that would have given him a shot at QB...and that's because his dad is the coach. Mack Brown would have done what the other 118 coaches would have done with him - redshirted him, then moved him to slot, corner, or safety.

The only bonus to having Riley at QB is that his dad is finally seeing the light about using a tight end in the offense so every team on our schedule isn't blizting us on virtually every down like the past two seasons.

I don't think we are the only team that would have used him as QB... Texas, OU, Alabama etc yeah he would have been an "athlete" With some of the small programs and non BCS schools like us he is just to accurate of a passer, perhaps most would have changed him over but he is not the only 5'9" QB ever to play in Div 1 football.

This kid is good, accurate, tough and fast. Those are all things that I want in my QB. size is important but tell that to Doug Flutie, Spudd Webb and Michael Johnson (to big to be a 100 meter guy remember)