The U.S. men finish off one of the greatest upsets in years yesterday and it doesn't make the front page of the sports page, doesn't make the home page of yahoo.com and doesn't even make the front sports page on yahoo!

Great win, but does the majority of the U.S. really care?

The U.S. men finish off one of the greatest upsets in years yesterday and it doesn't make the front page of the sports page, doesn't make the home page of yahoo.com and doesn't even make the front sports page on yahoo!

Great win, but does the majority of the U.S. really care?

No because soccer sucks!

To had a little fire to this flame, it did not make any of these sport-lines when we are in the doldrums of sporting news or the drought of early summer. Not much even going on and still the big nada.

Funny...However, check out the front page of the DMN Sports section...top left intro to full page of soccer stories on page 2. Also, it was written up in the Wall Street Journal..it will be in Sports Illustrated as well as the ESPN Magazine and will get decent play in more soccer friendly US Cities as St. Louis, Seattle, New York, etc.

And, as far as press goes...it will be covered world wide to a much great extent that the so-call World Series of US Baseball, the Super Bowl, etc., etc.

Have fun...it's always fun to hear from the "dark side". :lol:

Funny...However, check out the front page of the DMN Sports section...top left intro to full page of soccer stories on page 2. Also, it was written up in the Wall Street Journal..it will be in Sports Illustrated as well as the ESPN Magazine and will get decent play in more soccer friendly US Cities as St. Louis, Seattle, New York, etc.

And, as far as press goes...it will be covered world wide to a much great extent that the so-call World Series of US Baseball, the Super Bowl, etc., etc.

When soccer is the only professional sport many countries in the world have, and they play each other it is expected to have world wide coverage. But lack of choice does not diminish the fact that soccer still sucks compared to most other teams sports popular in the USA. B)

When soccer is the only professional sport many countries in the world have, and they play each other it is expected to have world wide coverage. But lack of choice does not diminish the fact that soccer still sucks compared to most other teams sports popular in the USA. B)

I could use your arguement to explain why soccer isn't as popular in the US...lack of choice. For decades, the US hasn't had a legitimate (long standing) professional soccer league. Part of this, I blame on the other four professional sports leagues. The other part I blame on the European leagues being so much higher in quality (pulling our best players over there).

The MLS (now in its 13th season?) is on its way to becoming a legit league, I believe. Attendance has been on a steady rise (the increasing Hispanic population helps this), league expansion, and continual improvement in the level of play point to it. It may take another 2 or 3 decades, but I see soccer being comprable in popularity with hockey and maybe even basketball in the future.

While we're throwing out opinions...let me just take the opportunity to state that baseball sucks donkey poo. I'm baffled as to how it has become as popular a sport as it has. Its like modified cricket.

So, what I get from this is that the conservative papers trumpet an American victory, while more liberal sites (Yahoo) choose to ignore the good things happeneing for America. ;)

I could use your arguement to explain why soccer isn't as popular in the US...lack of choice. For decades, the US hasn't had a legitimate (long standing) professional soccer league. Part of this, I blame on the other four professional sports leagues. The other part I blame on the European leagues being so much higher in quality (pulling our best players over there).

The MLS (now in its 13th season?) is on its way to becoming a legit league, I believe. Attendance has been on a steady rise (the increasing Hispanic population helps this), league expansion, and continual improvement in the level of play point to it. It may take another 2 or 3 decades, but I see soccer being comprable in popularity with hockey and maybe even basketball in the future.

While we're throwing out opinions...let me just take the opportunity to state that baseball sucks donkey poo. I'm baffled as to how it has become as popular a sport as it has. Its like modified cricket.

Couldn't your logic also explain the lack of mainstream popularity of other non-league sports like baby football, dolphin-touching, premi-ball, no-touch red rover and pantsless field hockey?

Attendance has been on the rise because the league is embracing the fact that Hispanics will watch it. Scholars will one day look back and see this is the worst part of Mexican immigration (that and the collapse of Farmers Branch city government).

Couldn't your logic also explain the lack of mainstream popularity of other non-league sports like baby football, dolphin-touching, premi-ball, no-touch red rover and pantsless field hockey?

Attendance has been on the rise because the league is embracing the fact that Hispanics will watch it. Scholars will one day look back and see this is the worst part of Mexican immigration (that and the collapse of Farmers Branch city government).

I think the death of George Tiller will bring to light the awesome in premi-ball. Hopefully his martydom will result in a national TV contract. At least on Versus.

Guest JohnDenver

I don't see the parrallel between other smaller nations' lack of choices and our lack of having a professional league. I would venture that 90% of all kids in the US play soccer (in a league) at one point or another. The percentage is WAY higher than basketball and football league play. That makes up for not having a pro league. In other countries, you don't see the 90% of children playing American football only to become a fan of a better sport.

I don't see the parrallel between other smaller nations' lack of choices and our lack of having a professional league. I would venture that 90% of all kids in the US play soccer (in a league) at one point or another. The percentage is WAY higher than basketball and football league play. That makes up for not having a pro league. In other countries, you don't see the 90% of children playing American football only to become a fan of a better sport.

There is No better sport than American Football.

I think baseball is the same arguement as soccer, baseball for a good part of the last century was the only choice for cheap entertainment. Not until the sixties did other sports get a foothold on a national level.

There is No better sport than American Football.

REALLY?????? Sounds like one man's opinion to me. I think several countries in Europe made their preference known when NFL Europe tried to make a go of it across the pond. Looks to me like MLS is having a great deal more success "sticking" in the US than NFL Europe had "across the pond"...and just to be "fair"...how many European, Asian and Latin American nation college and universities field US style football teams? I do know that a few in Mexico do. Wghile several US colleges and universities field men's and/or women's soccer programs. Just saying.....but, if it is simply your opinion...I am certainly good with that.

Edited by KRAM1

No...not really.

I would argue that a big reason many kids leave soccer after their younger years is lack of a strong high school and college presence and a pro league that is not as popular as the "big 4" leagues. I would have loved to keep playing soccer if my high school had a team and/or there would have been more of an opportunity to play it in college. But, I wasn't given that "choice".

In most cases, I believe what sports you gravitate to are the ones your parents are into.

No...not really.

I would argue that a big reason many kids leave soccer after their younger years is lack of a strong high school and college presence and a pro league that is not as popular as the "big 4" leagues. I would have loved to keep playing soccer if my high school had a team and/or there would have been more of an opportunity to play it in college. But, I wasn't given that "choice".

In most cases, I believe what sports you gravitate to are the ones your parents are into.

I thought all high schools had soccer, in my day every high school I can think of had at least a JV and a varsity team. A couple had freshman teams. But I am class 84. I always wanted to play ice hockey in high school, and now my high school has had ice hockey for something like 10 years.

I thought all high schools had soccer, in my day every high school I can think of had at least a JV and a varsity team. A couple had freshman teams. But I am class 84. I always wanted to play ice hockey in high school, and now my high school has had ice hockey for something like 10 years.

That maybe the case for 5A (and 4A?) in Texas. But I went to a 3A school that had neither a men's or women's team. We had plenty of other sports, but no soccer.

UNT Lifer...just as a bit of a follow-up...the current issue of Sports Illustrated has a five page spread on the US team and their run in the Confederations Cup. It ends with their win over Egypt. So, I suspect there will be a follow-up article regarding their upset victory over Spain along with coverage for the championship game (Sunday) against Brazil. In case you have missed it, Sports Illustrated in no small rag when it comes to the most read publications focused on sport.

Not bad coverage for a semi-final game.

A couple of points:

1. This isn't about how the world media will treat the win(s), but how the U.S. media primarily ignored it.

2. I expected SI to cover it, but when the daily newspapers and many sports talk radio shows barely touch on it, I think it makes my point.

3. Would the daily papers ignore the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc..?

4. MMA go more coverage the day after the wins here in Houston, which I consider a soccer town.

I'm proud of them and want them to be the best, but I found it interesting that these wins didn't even make the front page of most sports sections.

WOW...tough loss. Couldn't hold a 2-0 lead at halftime. The Brazilian goal just after half pretty much set the tone. But, I do think the U.S. handled themselves very well. Tim Howard was terrific in goal, Spector did a great job shutting down some very skilled Brazilian strikers, Onjehwu (spelling????) had a fine game and Donavon actually scored in a meaningful game for the US. All in all, I would say the team played a great first half...very inspired...attacked from all over the pitch and defended like they were world champions. However, it is tough to hold back the Brazilians for a full 90 min. when you are the number 14 ranked team in the world. As a UNT fan, think UNT vs. Texas in a few games that many of us can recall from "being there". OK, maybe that comparison is a bit of a stretch, but you get the idea. After having all but embarrassed themselves in the first two matches of the Confederations Cup, the US got their collective acts together and rallied for what turned out to be a very nice 2nd place finish in a FIFA tournament. I realize that second place is simply the "first loser", but it does set the team up for an upward move in the world rankings and gets them all the more prepared for the rest of the World Cup qualifying games and the World Cup itself. This tournament should show them that they can "play with the big boys" in the world of international soccer.

Thanks for the run...GO USA!!!!!