Cowboys Stadium Rental Fee Starts At $100

gangrene

Revenue streams from Cowboys Stadium contracts run deep

Some key excerpts from this article:

The stadium rental fee for the Texas A&M-Arkansas game Oct. 3 and the Baylor-Texas Tech game Nov. 28 is $100, according to the contracts, obtained from A&M and Tech. The teams get revenue from ticket sales and from team-specific merchandise sales and game-specific sponsorship deals.

Oklahoma ($2.25 million) and BYU (about $1.5 million, according to the school's athletic director) get fixed payments for their Sept. 5 game.

In a side letter to Tech, the Cowboys guaranteed that gross revenue for eight of the school's suites would total at least $125,000.

While I'd much prefer to play all our future home games in our yet-to-be-built, new stadium, I think we would be crazy not to consider Cowboys Stadium to negotiate "home" games with our "money game" teams like Alabama in the future. If we got deals any where in the vicinity of the ones mentioned in this article, I don't see how it would be anything other than a win-win situation for us. Even with a new stadium, I don't see Alabama, LSU, Georgia, etc....coming to play at our house. However, the lure of playing in the most modern football stadium in the world and the chance for these schools to play in the much-coveted DFW market may be too good to pass up.

1. Our stadium will be more modern-er.

2. I disagree with the premise that we won't get teams like those to play us at Eagle Stadium. They won't play us on the road, period. Not until we change conferences and start making a big name for ourselves. If they want to play in Cowboy Stadium, they'll play Texas or A&M or Tech.

1. Our stadium will be more modern-er.

Bwaa ha ha. When complete, our stadium may be newer than Cowboys Stadium, but to even try to compare the two is a joke. But, I don't really think that was your true intention.

2. I disagree with the premise that we won't get teams like those to play us at Eagle Stadium. They won't play us on the road, period. Not until we change conferences and start making a big name for ourselves. If they want to play in Cowboy Stadium, they'll play Texas or A&M or Tech.

These statements are highly debatable (not to mention contradictory) and totally your own opinion to which, of course, you are entitled. However, my opinion differs from yours and I think we could be successful in getting some of these teams to play us in Cowboys Stadium. Even if we have to agree to a two for one deal, I think it may be worth it. We've had "home" games against A & M and Texas Tech in the recent past. Neither would play us in Fouts so we had to go to Texas Stadium. The 'Bamas, Georgias and LSUs of college football only have so many non-conference games to schedule each year. Whether they'd prefer to schedule a very tough non-conference road game against a reputable Big XII opponent or a very winnable FBS road game against UNT is anyone's guess. To me, it's a bit like extending a scholarship offer to a top 100 kid...you won't know the answer until you make the offer.

To simply dismiss the idea without fully investigating the opportunity seems like a mistake and reminiscent of the small-time, woe-is-me attitude that has defined UNT football for the last 30 years.