Muts May Need 7th Road Game In 2010 To Pay The Bills

MeanGreen61

I know this is off topic, but why do you refer to MTSU as muts?

I know that Aggies refer to Texas as t.u. for the rivalry reason, but what is the reason for this?

Probably because it has a nice disrespectful ring to it. Twenty plus years ago when we were NTSU, an enemy or two would occasionally refer to us as "NUTS." Not very nice, but what the hell.

Some imbecile in the comments section....predicts that MTSU will be in a different conference in 3 years. Then he goes.....CUSA? Big East?

Then the kicker is....he says that MTSU has dominated the Sun Belt....."except for men's hoops and football."

Yeah, other than that....did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

I know this is off topic, but why do you refer to MTSU as muts?

I know that Aggies refer to Texas as t.u. for the rivalry reason, but what is the reason for this?

Dates back to the early years of Belt football. SpaceRaider referred to UNT as the grUNTs. Deep Green struck back with the muts label for them. Seems that the muts has hung around and is actually used be posters from other schools in referring to the Belt 'glamour team".

Edited by MeanGreen61

Dates back to the early years of Belt football. SpaceRaider referred to UNT as the grUNTs. Deep Green struck back with the muts label for them. Seems that the muts has hung around and is actually used be posters from other schools in referring to the Belt 'glamour team".

muts is greatness - kudos to Deep Green for that! i've been calling them that for close to ten years and you see that used all over the internet boards now LOL!

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the accolades. MUTS was one of the better nicknames I've come up with over the years. Funny that it has stuck around all these years.

:blush:

The MUTS strolled in to Fouts in 2001 with I think one loss while we were winless at the time. They had a running back, Hicks, they were promoting for the Heisman and referred to themselves as the Belt's "sexy".team. Well, we knocked Hicks out of the game, beat the MUTS starting our conference winning streak and went to the first New Orleans bowl with a 5-6 record, which they cried about since we both finished the conference schedule with one loss. They had an 8-3 record but were left at home due to their loss to NT. Some of their fans showed up in New Orleans to protest our playing in the game. Hence, the rivalry began and the MUTS nickname stuck. Texas Stranger has a nice pic of their Homecoming Queen I'm sure he'd be happy to post.

The MUTS strolled in to Fouts in 2001 with I think one loss while we were winless at the time. They had a running back, Hicks, they were promoting for the Heisman and referred to themselves as the Belt's "sexy".team. Well, we knocked Hicks out of the game, beat the MUTS starting our conference winning streak and went to the first New Orleans bowl with a 5-6 record, which they cried about since we both finished the conference schedule with one loss. They had an 8-3 record but were left at home due to their loss to NT. Some of their fans showed up in New Orleans to protest our playing in the game. Hence, the rivalry began and the MUTS nickname stuck. Texas Stranger has a nice pic of their Homecoming Queen I'm sure he'd be happy to post.

Actually the muts came into the game at Fouts huffin' puffin' & struttin' with an undefeated 4-0 record. Wins over Vanderbilt, Troy, ULL and ULM. (they finished the season with a 8-3 record with losses to Mississippi, LSU and UNT).A winless UNT team knocked 'um around pretty bad with some hard nose football. Hicks their star RB was knocked out along with another RB and their QB spent the afternoon running for his life. The muts came in as the conference glamour guys and left like evacuees from a MASH unit. Hard-nose, hard-hitting football left the muts shocked and dazed wonderin' what the hell happened !

Edited by MeanGreen61

Did you ever think what image you are giving to UNT, when our fans are negative towards SLC and SMU, for being affluent? Besides the obvious jealousy, it is also reverse discrimination. Some of you know that I am a longtime SLC supporter, and have many old friendships in that area. The people that I know, have worked very hard from discipline in school, to long hours in their careers. It's easy to justify, "they are all trustfund" babies" if you are not happy, with where you are in life. BMW's are available to anyone, why don't you put in a few more hours each week, and you can drive one as well.

Edited by dodgefan

Some imbecile in the comments section....predicts that MTSU will be in a different conference in 3 years. Then he goes.....CUSA? Big East?

Then the kicker is....he says that MTSU has dominated the Sun Belt....."except for men's hoops and football."

Yeah, other than that....did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

They haven't even dominated the Bubas Cup for crying out loud. WKU wins it every oither year.

I believe MTSU is actually the most "disliked" school in the league. WKU considers them rivals(in everything), as does Troy(Battle of the Palladium), and us to a degree.

BMW's are available to anyone, why don't you put in a few more hours each week, and you can drive one as well.

New favorite quote - although I agree with his basic point that all of you need to STFU about whining about people with money.

And any douche bag can lease a three series - just drive through Uptown.

Did you ever think what image you are giving to UNT, when our fans are negative towards SLC and SMU, for being affluent? Besides the obvious jealousy, it is also reverse discrimination. Some of you know that I am a longtime SLC supporter, and have many old friendships in that area. The people that I know, have worked very hard from discipline in school, to long hours in their careers. It's easy to justify, "they are all trustfund" babies" if you are not happy, with where you are in life. BMW's are available to anyone, why don't you put in a few more hours each week, and you can drive one as well.

does the attitude come with the bmw or must that be learned?

You're right. Off I go to the dealership!

What a great day it will be when we hire a real football coach and get our college uniforms back. Then the high school heroes contigent can get back to high school football. And, they can take their overcompensation bit with foreign car talk with them. I'd say unbelievable, but the post exists, so.... Zima and Mojitos are likely the drinks of choice for these...men?

It's not the money that's the issue...it's the attitude that because they are affluent they should simply show up and win at everything, that others should roll over and concede their superiority. I distinctly remember the smug attitude of SLC fans when they lost in the playoffs last season...they were all so amazed that their children DIDN'T get to win at their every endeavor just because their uniforms said Southlake. And as for SMU, don't even get started with them. They literally paid for the only success they've ever had and can't understand why they are irrelevant to everyone outside of University Park. It is often said of some that they would be nothing without their money...for SMU they actually are nothing if they can't throw money at the football problem.

I never included SLC in my comment nor did I intend to. I have no quarrel with Carroll or its fans. BTW, I am very happy with my position in life and could very well afford to drive a BMW (even though BMWs weren't included in my original comments either). If I did acquire a BMW though, it would be because I WORKED for and EARNED it, not because daddy wrote a check to the local Beemer dealership and it showed up in the driveway with a red ribbon wrapped around it.

Also BTW, what emmitt said... :thumbsup: