French President Sarkozy Denounces Iran Vote 'fraud'

http://www.africasia.com/services/news/new...26.y5h74nsr.php

French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Tuesday branded Iran's election result a fraud as the international outcry over the security forces' crackdown on the opposition in Tehran intensified.

Governments from Asia to Europe voiced concern about the violence that erupted Monday during rallies protesting the hardliner Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's re-election, with US President Barack Obama saying he had "deep concerns" while also not wanting to meddle in Iran's affairs.

But while some governments tried to avoid taking sides, Sarkozy said the unrest was a direct result of Ahmadinejad's failings in his first term.

"The extent of the fraud is proportional to the violent reaction," said the French leader.

"It is a tragedy, but it is not negative to have a real opinion movement that tries to break its chains," Sarkozy said.

At least someone has the nads to stand up against Tyranny. Only I never would have thought in a million years it would be the president of France? Meanwhile, the wussfication of America continues.

Obama meanwhile said he would not meddle in internal Iranian politics -- reflecting a more widespread reluctance of governments to be sucked into the maelstrom.

"I have said before that I have deep concerns about the election. I think that the world has deep concerns about the election," Obama said.

"It is not productive, given the history of US-Iranian relations to be seen as meddling -- the US president meddling in Iranian elections."

We don't have a problem telling Isreal to cut their own throats, but when people are trying to fight for democracy and dying in the streets in Iran, we don't want to "Meddle" into their affairs?

What a pathetic display and embarrassing lack of leadership by this country.

Rick

And for our Liberal friends here, including that the beauty to the left in my Avatar(Liberal Fox News Contributor Susan Estrich) who are so concerned about facts of the matter supposedly being reported only by conservative news outlets, here is Obama's remarks as reported by the Associated Press.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commen...,6606670.column

Reportedly, you are biding your time, waiting to see what happens, as if it is a great mystery. Your campaign lived and breathed YouTube. Check it now, check it often. You and your team promised "soft power" and "smart power." Well, let's see some of that. Because by not clearly picking a side, it appears you have chosen the wrong side.

Do you fear antagonizing the powers-that-be in Iran? That ship has sailed. Though I am sure they're grateful for your eagerness not to roil the seas around them. Is it because you think "leader of the free world" is just another of those Cold War relics best mothballed in favor of a more cosmopolitan and universal awe at your own story?

Rick

Geezz Louise. We still don't get it. In the vast majority of the middle east we are one of the most hated and mis-trusted countries in all of the world. The Iranians have still not forgotten how our CIA came in back in 1953 and over turned their duly elected government and installed the Shah in it's place. The EASIEST way for the current regime to ruthlessly go after the protesters of this election (and they might anyway) would be to say "see? the US is condeming our legal election and these protesters are just puppets of the US.......like back in 1953".

Geezz Louise. We still don't get it. In the vast majority of the middle east we are one of the most hated and mis-trusted countries in all of the world. The Iranians have still not forgotten how our CIA came in back in 1953 and over turned their duly elected government and installed the Shah in it's place. The EASIEST way for the current regime to ruthlessly go after the protesters of this election (and they might anyway) would be to say "see? the US is condeming our legal election and these protesters are just puppets of the US.......like back in 1953".

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner. Sometimes the smartest thing to do is nothing (or almost nothing).

You can count on Israel being the most hated, and each country over there has some animosity toward each other. Iran still hates Iraq and Israel beyond us. I don't care what most of the middle east thinks anyway, most of the countries over there still think livestock is more important then women.

I hate the French! Bastards!!

I also hate freckles, I hate them on me, I hate them on others. I think all freckles should die!

So, all those signs the Iranian protesters are carrying and waving around. You know the ones in English. Who are those for?

Maybe we already are meddling. I mean they would not create protest signs in the mother tongue of the Great Satan on their own would they?

Keith

You can count on Israel being the most hated, and each country over there has some animosity toward each other. Iran still hates Iraq and Israel beyond us. I don't care what most of the middle east thinks anyway, most of the countries over there still think livestock is more important then women.

I hate the French! Bastards!!

I also hate freckles, I hate them on me, I hate them on others. I think all freckles should die!

No wonder freckles don't trust you!........... B)

Because of what we did in Iraq, the US is viewed much differently by the educated and affluent in Iran. Why do you think they are demanding fair elections? Because they have heard about them on the internet and through relatives in Iraq. This is what the Iraq policy was all about, to bring democracy to the middle east. To sit on our hands right now is the absolute worst thing this country can do. Hopefully, we are doing things and offering support behind the scenes to these protesters so they know they are not unsupported and on an Island. I would be fine with that. Do I trust this administration to do that? No.

I thought it was simply that George Bush was the reason muslims hated the U.S.? You change your mind on that one now?

Here's some help.

Rick