Idea For The Upcoming Football Season

UNT90

Since we will soon be moving to a new stadium that will hopefully double as a music venue, why not start the concerts after games this year, using bands that we can afford but also have appeal to the students, hopefuly increasing student attendance? Maybe even bring back some bands that got their start in Denton as UNT students and went on to big things. Bands like this band:

http://www.eliyoung.net/bio.aspx

Yes, students may not come in until after halftime, but so be it. This is very doable and you may even get a break from ex=students willing to help out their old school. Keep the bands geared to the students at first, and expand from there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea!

Lets also have raffles to meet the band(s). That might help pay for the event and other charges. Or if your football ticket was scanned before 7pm you have the option to move to the field and get up close to the stage. Give more incentive for those who watch the game.

Winning

In all seriousness, and not to poo poo on the idea, but what keeps me from walking into the stadium after I see that the game is over or when my friend who was at the game calls me and says it's time for the concert? The yellow shirt nazis aren't going to enforce this, trust me. And as for scanning tickets to get onto the field you can forget trying to police that. The entire student section is just a guardrail away from hopping onto the field.

Edited by emmitt01

Since we will soon be moving to a new stadium that will hopefully double as a music venue, why not start the concerts after games this year, using bands that we can afford but also have appeal to the students, hopefuly increasing student attendance? Maybe even bring back some bands that got their start in Denton as UNT students and went on to big things. Bands like this band:

Yes, students may not come in until after halftime, but so be it. This is very doable and you may even get a break from ex=students willing to help out their old school. Keep the bands geared to the students at first, and expand from there.

The Dave Brubeck concert my wife and I attended this last February was attended by those barely of college age and those well into retirement. That may be an anomaly, hard to find outside of places with less love for jazz than UNT, but I think it suggests that a music program can appeal to a wide age range without anyone feeling slighted or excluded.

Its funny that you brought these guys up. I vaguely knew them from my time there, but I still remember seeing them play the pre-game concerts a couple of times.

That would be kind of a cool full circle deal for them. To go from the pre-game to the post-game.

Winning

In all seriousness, and not to poo poo on the idea, but what keeps me from walking into the stadium after I see that the game is over or when my friend who was at the game calls me and says it's time for the concert? The yellow shirt nazis aren't going to enforce this, trust me. And as for scanning tickets to get onto the field you can forget trying to police that. The entire student section is just a botched series away from heading to the nearest exit.

Fixed.

Winning

In all seriousness, and not to poo poo on the idea, but what keeps me from walking into the stadium after I see that the game is over or when my friend who was at the game calls me and says it's time for the concert? The yellow shirt nazis aren't going to enforce this, trust me. And as for scanning tickets to get onto the field you can forget trying to police that. The entire student section is just a guardrail away from hopping onto the field.

This is only partly about football and attendance. This would get the event staff prepared and praticed for events at the new stadium. This would get the AD personnel accustomed to dealing with this type of event (contacting bands' reps, logistics, affordability, what will attract the best crowd). I don't care if students are allowed on the field or not. I don't care if some sneak in after the game is over (they are college students, after all. I'd be disappointed if they didn't try).

Not aimed specifically at you Emmitt, but it seems some want to revel in the dispair that is UNT events instead of looking to the future and how they can be improved. It's easier just to bi%$^ and be negative about everything.

Yes, winning is the only thing that wiil bring people to the games for the game, but there are other ways to get people into the stadium.

Its funny that you brought these guys up. I vaguely knew them from my time there, but I still remember seeing them play the pre-game concerts a couple of times.

That would be kind of a cool full circle deal for them. To go from the pre-game to the post-game.

Not only that, but it would be a good way to forge a bond with Alums (the band) who have potential to be big donors to the program some day.

This is only partly about football and attendance. This would get the event staff prepared and praticed for events at the new stadium. This would get the AD personnel accustomed to dealing with this type of event (contacting bands' reps, logistics, affordability, what will attract the best crowd). I don't care if students are allowed on the field or not. I don't care if some sneak in after the game is over (they are college students, after all. I'd be disappointed if they didn't try).

Not aimed specifically at you Emmitt, but it seems some want to revel in the dispair that is UNT events instead of looking to the future and how they can be improved. It's easier just to bi%$^ and be negative about everything.

Yes, winning is the only thing that wiil bring people to the games for the game, but there are other ways to get people into the stadium.

Also not to poo poo on the idea but a pregame concert within the stadium may be better. Have a live band playing during warmups instead of shelf music over the loudspeakers. After staying some games to see fireworks and talking to friends most have left the stadium within 15 minutes of a game ending, much sooner if it's been a bad game or blowout loss. Nobody wants to hang around after a loss.

Edited by NT80

Why not a half time concert?

Impractical. Students wouldn't be interested in 3 or 4 songs. The band wouldn't be interested in such limited exposure, and the AD would't want to pay for a full concert and only get 4 or 5 songs.

And I am talking about the concert being inside the stadium immediately after the game, just to be clear. Again, you are trying to target students who may be willing to attend the game in order to see the concert. I don't necessarily expect families to hang around for the concerts. These concerts would be especially effective this year when we have several 2pm home game times.

maybe a little bowling for soup?

Have a live band playing during warmups instead of shelf music over the loudspeakers.

There is no way the bands would agree to play with the distractions of warm ups going on (not to mention numerous safety concerns). The type of bands I am talking about have a following and aren't just your local kids playing at the neighborhood bar. There has to be something in it for them.

Now, if you suggest a concert 2 hours before the game, that could work, but those only interested in the concert would be long gone before opening kickoff, and the goal is to draw more fans for the game. It would almost be a seperate event. The key is this offers the Football program the chance to have access to a potential fan base that wouldn't be exposed to UNT footbal without the concert, and offers the opportunity for the band to get their music before new people who wouldnt normally attend one of their concerts.

It's gotta be a win-win for both sides.

Edited by UNT90

Winning

My sentiments too. Last year you couldn't have paid me to go to a Texas Rangers game although I did watch them on TV occasionally towards the end of the year when they were playing better baseball. This year I've already been to two Rangers games and I actually search the TV listing to see when they are playing next. I don't consider myself a fair weather fan (maybe by definition I am :-) ) , I follow them in the paper, wear my Rangers cap when working in the yard and generally hope at the beginning of each year that this is the year. Why the big difference? The Rangers are putting out some really good product, providing me hope for the future and winning..... and I'm willing to pay. Concerts are a nice marketing bonus which may draw a few incremental fans of the band, but winning is the best cure for apathetic fans.

UNT has 3 years to start improving their product and if they show improvement over the next couple seasons we won't have to worry about a healthy number of fans in the new stadium. Although, promote a "short set" of KC and the Sunshine Band after the Western Kentucky game.....and you may get a few old alums to come out to and "shake shake shake...their booties!")

My sentiments too. Last year you couldn't have paid me to go to a Texas Rangers game although I did watch them on TV occasionally towards the end of the year when they were playing better baseball. This year I've already been to two Rangers games and I actually search the TV listing to see when they are playing next. I don't consider myself a fair weather fan (maybe by definition I am :-) ) , I follow them in the paper, wear my Rangers cap when working in the yard and generally hope at the beginning of each year that this is the year. Why the big difference? The Rangers are putting out some really good product, providing me hope for the future and winning..... and I'm willing to pay. Concerts are a nice marketing bonus which may draw a few incremental fans of the band, but winning is the best cure for apathetic fans.

UNT has 3 years to start improving their product and if they show improvement over the next couple seasons we won't have to worry about a healthy number of fans in the new stadium. Although, promote a "short set" of KC and the Sunshine Band after the Western Kentucky game.....and you may get a few old alums to come out to and "shake shake shake...their booties!")

Look at Ranger attendance last year when they had post game concerts. Big difference when acts like Robert Earl Keen played after the game.

And with all due respect, this is not about old alums, this is about attracting new, college aged fans who will support this program after they leave UNT.

Plus, I like music.

Look at Ranger attendance last year when they had post game concerts. Big difference when acts like Robert Earl Keen played after the game.

And with all due respect, this is not about old alums, this is about attracting new, college aged fans who will support this program after they leave UNT.

Plus, I like music.

I can feel pretty safe in saying that if you had a post-game concert you would see no appreciable increase in attendance...but you would see a mad dash of people through the gates after the final whistle. This is nothing like a Ranger game. People who go to Ranger games have driven all the way there, packed up the kids and made the whole evening about baseball and a post-game concert. NT students can/would walk over when the football is over. Or, as many have proven, they can drink in a parking lot and then just walk in...when the football is over. The Rangers, win or lose, offer the chance to see professional athletes and a multi-million dollar production. NT offers none of the fringe entertainment benefits of the ballpark. Apples and Oranges.

No band day, kids corner, concert, or billboard will fix the root of the problem...Todge hasn't won a thing yet and people won't make it a point to spend their Saturday watching what is being put on the field.

Edited by emmitt01

I can feel pretty safe in saying that if you had a post-game concert you would see no appreciable increase in attendance...but you would see a mad dash of people through the gates after the final whistle. This is nothing like a Ranger game. People who go to Ranger games have driven all the way there, packed up the kids and made the whole evening about baseball and a post-game concert. NT students can/would walk over when the football is over. The Rangers, win or lose, offer the chance to see professional athletes and a multi-million dollar production. NT offers none of the fringe entertainment benefits of the ballpark. Apples and Oranges.

Restrict the stadium to no entrance after the third quarter. I know, you dont trust the event staff to handle this, but it shouldn't be to difficult. That way all attendance would count toward game attendance number. Why would Ranger attendance be so good when fans of those bands could also just show up for the concert (they are held outside where anyone without a ticket can walk up and watch)? Or, fans could simply leave and not watch the concert after the game? Niether happens, why? Because people see a value in getting two different entainment values for the price of one. Maybe some alums that wouldn't go to games would look and see a concert scheduled after the game and think "Hey, I like that band, might as well catch a game for the same price." But you have to market wisely to let people know that there is a concert.

How about giving it a try and see what happens?

Or we could just do nothing and Bi*%$ about it.

Absolutely, as long as they are still relevant to the students and affordable.

I used to have a website bookmarked that listed recent fees paid to famous artists, and I seem to remember Bowling for Soup was in $75,000 -$100,000 range.

Concerts will be much more practical in the new stadium with the large patio/balcony in the end zone area.

Edited by UNTflyer

I used to have a website bookmarked that listed recent fees paid to famous artists, and I seem to remember Bowling for Soup was in $75,000 -$100,000 range.

Concerts will be much more practical in the new stadium with the large patio/balcony in the end zone area.

Way out of the price range, unless they give a HUGE discount to UNT.

Meanwhile, bands like Eli Young could be had from between $5,000 and $10,000.

I can feel pretty safe in saying that if you had a post-game concert you would see no appreciable increase in attendance...but you would see a mad dash of people through the gates after the final whistle. This is nothing like a Ranger game. People who go to Ranger games have driven all the way there, packed up the kids and made the whole evening about baseball and a post-game concert. NT students can/would walk over when the football is over. Or, as many have proven, they can drink in a parking lot and then just walk in...when the football is over. The Rangers, win or lose, offer the chance to see professional athletes and a multi-million dollar production. NT offers none of the fringe entertainment benefits of the ballpark. Apples and Oranges.

No band day, kids corner, concert, or billboard will fix the root of the problem...Todge hasn't won a thing yet and people won't make it a point to spend their Saturday watching what is being put on the field.

Agree, UNT needs to address the real problem with attendance.....scheduling and winning. Fans want to see teams they know and have a competitive team to support. All else is just fluff to try and lure non-football fans in thru a gate to count their sorry selves.