Brett Vito Will Have A Football Recruiting Update

SUMG

The article mentions Phil Steel's mag picks NT to finish 7th in the sBC but fails to mention that they pick NT to win 6 of their 12 games this fall. A significant turnaround if it comes out as predicted. He also says that when a team changes from a run offense to a pass attack its a 3 to 4 year process.

Campbells TX fb has NT with 4 wins which is also a major improvement.

most starters last season were recruited by dodge for a passing offense.

Very true.

Halfway through the season, a player's parent pointed out to me during a game that there were only two Dickey recruits seeing time on offense: Casey Fitzgerald, who never got to start under Dickey, and Estaban Santiago, who redshirted in his only season under the old coaching staff.

Very true.

Halfway through the season, a player's parent pointed out to me during a game that there were only two Dickey recruits seeing time on offense: Casey Fitzgerald, who never got to start under Dickey, and Estaban Santiago, who redshirted in his only season under the old coaching staff.

Which would make most of those players true sophmores or younger, and everyone knows mid-majors are successful with players this young.

Which would make most of those players true sophmores or younger, and everyone knows mid-majors are successful with players this young.

Other than Cam Montgomery, Gabe Hollivay, Kevin Dickerson, Alex Lott, Roderick Johnson, and of course Fitz and Santiago... That might just be true. Throw in Vizza, who wasn't exactly in over his head, or at least wasn't the reason for our offensive struggles until he left North Texas and everyone realized that they'd secretly hated him all along... And that leaves three other guys on the field. One of those was Coleman Feeley, who played in place of Tyler Bailey at Dodge's discretion. Also could have plugged 4-star/800 pound prospect Nate Jenkins in there if he'd shown up in shape, or maybe Robert Peachey or Ajani Banks if Dodge hadn't run them off before game one, year one. And another was J.J. Johnson, who started at center because our only other real option was Chad Rose, a guy who was barely good enough to start 24 straight games before Dodge showed up.

That accounts for 10.

But I'm sure that the other guy, whoever he was, was the single and sole reason that our offense struggled.

Otherwise, it might seem like Dodge made it a point to play only guys who were his recruits or who he could effectively claim as his own products. Like Fitzgerald, since he hadn't earned his scholarship until Dodge showed up, and Santiago, who was originally recruited as a defensive lineman before Dodge officially moved him to the other side.

Still, though... What you said is probably right. I'll just go over here and make some more fluffy kitten jokes.

4 wins at most programs is not job security why shoudld it be here?

I was thinking about this exact thing recently. It's amazing how, if you come in and do a sub-mediocre job when you first take a job, you can then point to mediocre as "vast improvement." Hell, some will even look at mediocre and trumpet your accomplishments as "Good Things!"

The article mentions Phil Steel's mag picks NT to finish 7th in the sBC but fails to mention that they pick NT to win 6 of their 12 games this fall.

How the heck can they see us winning 6 games and still finishing 7th in the SBC? Do we have 15 non-conference games this year?. Can't see going any better than 1-3 in the occ schedule, and I think 5 conference wins would elevate us much higher than 7th in the SBC. It is good to know that someone besides KRAM is overly optimistic about this season. Seriously, it is nice that someone outside looking in is predicting good things, well, sort of.

I predict an OCC win over Alabama, although we will have to wait 3 years for it to be reflected on our season record.

I was thinking about this exact thing recently. It's amazing how, if you come in and do a sub-mediocre job when you first take a job, you can then point to mediocre as "vast improvement." Hell, some will even look at mediocre and trumpet your accomplishments as "Good Things!"

We have nothing but high expectations around here :

If Todd Dodge goes 4 -8 this year and can get to 7 - 29 in his 1st 3 years as head coach it's considered a good thing :unsure:

The last coach who was 22 games under .500 got a practice field named after him.

How the heck can they see us winning 6 games and still finishing 7th in the SBC? Do we have 15 non-conference games this year?. Can't see going any better than 1-3 in the occ schedule, and I think 5 conference wins would elevate us much higher than 7th in the SBC. It is good to know that someone besides KRAM is overly optimistic about this season. Seriously, it is nice that someone outside looking in is predicting good things, well, sort of.

I predict an OCC win over Alabama, although we will have to wait 3 years for it to be reflected on our season record.

Steele doesn't actually predict us to win 6 games.

He has nine metrics he uses to predict wins and losses. Two of those nine put us at 6 wins. The actual prediction is less than 6, enough less that we're 7th in conference. But he does say that all six of our home games are winnable.

The "Steele predicts us to win six games" thing is just a slight misunderstanding that's rapidly morphing into GMG fact. See here for my favorite example of how that works.

He has nine metrics he uses to predict wins and losses. Two of those nine put us at 6 wins. The actual prediction is less than 6, enough less that we're 7th in conference. But he does say that all six of our home games are winnable.

All twelve games are winnable but several would require divine intervention for it to happen.

The "Steele predicts us to win six games" thing is just a slight misunderstanding that's rapidly morphing into GMG fact. See here for my favorite example of how that works.

I have the mag and can vouch for this.

However, he does call for us to be the most improved team in the Sun Belt (with possibly the most improved defense in the country) and said that he'd probably regret picking us as low as he did in the rankings (2nd to last).

One interesting (or sad) thing to note is Steele's take on our 2009 recruiting class. He ranks all the players that every school signs each year by position.....by conference, we had the worst recruiting class....then just looking through the rankings by player--this is one of the worst classes I've ever seen (at almost any school) his magazine report. Even our higher touted JUCO's are ranked terribly by him. I don't have the mag in front of me, but most classes (at our level) may have 25% of their players rank above (higher is worse, not better) 500 in their position rankings. We have 50% or more above that mark....with several being over the 1k range. I seriously hope that these guys are all just flying in way under the radar....

I do like our 2009 class. The 2009 class has terrific athletes,

big DL/OL players, skill position players, and speed.

This class met many position needs with quality players,

that will be at NT for years.

I saw Shavod Atkinson at the spring game.

If Phill Steel believes Shavod Atkinson is a sub-par

JUCO recruit, maybe Phill should come down here

to see our recruits himself.

I do like our 2009 class. The 2009 class has terrific athletes,

big DL/OL players, skill position players, and speed.

This class met many position needs with quality players,

that will be at NT for years.

I saw Shavod Atkinson at the spring game.

If Phill Steel believes Shavod Atkinson is a sub-par

JUCO recruit, maybe Phill should come down here

to see our recruits himself.

A class that was rated at the bottom of the Sun Belt conference by the professionals. But why should I believe them when I can get the sunshine pumped up my rear on here?

Adkinson was Honorable Mention in his JUCO conference, which equates to the 5th or 7th best defensive tackle in that conference. This guy is a back up on any other Sun Belt team, and should be a back up here.

I listened to the board last year (Sun Belt Champs, 8-4 record, blah, blah, blah...). This year I'll listen to the experts.

A class that was rated at the bottom of the Sun Belt conference by the professionals. But why should I believe them when I can get the sunshine pumped up my rear on here?

Adkinson was Honorable Mention in his JUCO conference, which equates to the 5th or 7th best defensive tackle in that conference. This guy is a back up on any other Sun Belt team, and should be a back up here.

I listened to the board last year (Sun Belt Champs, 8-4 record, blah, blah, blah...). This year I'll listen to the experts.

I'm not listening to anyone. Just keeping my hopes high and my expectations at the level that has been established the past two years.

But if you HAD listened to the experts the past two years, you'd have read outrageous predictions like this one:

DCTF is supose to be hiting the newstands Monday 06-11.

I saw Steel's at Wal-Mart, but I just read the slanted NT report.

There were a couple of statements about how DD was a great coach, and

that TD was just a good HS coach. The story implies that NT will be 1-11 or 2-10 with

our best chance for a victory will be the last 2 games of 2007.

More blah blah blah from so called sports writers!

Hell, if Phil Steele really thought we were going to finish 2-10 or 1-11 in 2007, he should have come down here to see our team himself!

Of course, he'd have seen us finish 2-10... With one of those wins coming in the last two games of the season... But, still! INDIGNANCE!!!

I'm not listening to anyone. Just keeping my hopes high and my expectations at the level that has been established the past two years.

But if you HAD listened to the experts the past two years, you'd have read outrageous predictions like this one:

Hell, if Phil Steele really thought we were going to finish 2-10 or 1-11 in 2007, he should have come down here to see our team himself!

Of course, he'd have seen us finish 2-10... With one of those wins coming in the last two games of the season... But, still! INDIGNANCE!!!

Did you spend your ban learning how to use the search feature more effectively?

LOL!!!!!!! :lol:

Exactly. Those who can look at this program through unbiased eyes did NOT see a good recruiting class. Does anyone really believe Adkinson picked us over Arkansas? Really?

West Virgina, and Louisville, were after Atkinson as well.

Yes, Atkinson did choose NT over these other schools.

UNT90-

I can name many players on this roster, that were recruited

by major programs, that did chose NT over the big boys. Here's one-

How about Sam Roberson, recruited by Alabama and Auburn.

Coach Dodge's recruiting classes have averaged a

Rivals.com rating of 5.3 per player per year.

Dickey's last 3 classes, 04, 05, and 06, had a

average Rivals rating per player of 3.7

Rivals lowest rating for a player is 4.9.

Which would you rather have?

Jack Cumes over Coleman Feely?

Mike Mazzola over Gabe Hollivay, or Matt Tomlinson?

David Collins over Tevinn Cantly?

Brady Hartman over Jeremy Bean?

Thomas Pratt over Lance Dunbar?

Trent Stanly over JJ Johnson?

Tim Patton over Jesse DeSoto, Troy Franklin

I will say the talent levels at NT are far greater now than with

the past coaching staff. Really!

North Texas had the highest ranked recruits in the Sun Belt.

This may shock the fool out of most of you but by my methodology North Texas had the best Sun Belt recruiting class in 2009.

The figures are based on the average Rivals Rating for all rated recruits. It is the total RRs of all recruits for each university divided by the number of recruits. Based on those figures, here is each school's average:

North Texas 5.33

Florida International 5.32

Middle Tennessee 5.28

Troy 5.24

Western Kentucky 5.23

Louisiana-Monroe 5.18

Florida Atlantic 5.16

Louisiana-Lafayette 5.13

Arkansas State 5.09

http://www.gomeangreen.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=424506