U N T To The W A C ? Bronco Nation Article

MeanGreen61

Two reasons why I think the writer of this is clueless:

1)" the WAC bowl tie-ins could be greater than what the Sun Belt currently has (no offense, St. Petersburg Bowl)."

New Orleans is ten times better of a destination than anything the WAC has.

2) He says that having ten teams would be a positive. Oh really? Every conference commish I've listened to, says that a 9 team league is preferable to a 10 team league. With 9 teams, everyone plays 4 home and 4 away conference games. With ten....you either have to play an uneven schedule (with some schools getting 5 home conference games, others getting 4) OR you do what the PAC 10 does......and just not have every conference team play each other every year.

PLease...not the WAC...makes about as much sense as joing the SBC...oh, wait, UNT is a member of the SBC...yawn! OK, just kidding around, but I like what the WAC does for the Mean Green about as much as I like what the SBC does...not much!

yes to the wac. eight years in the sbc has unt ranked 110. time for a change of scenery.

The reason UNT is ranked #120 is not the SBC's fault. How can we continue to knock the SBC when we have won one league game in the last two years (UL-M in 2007?). WKU is not officially a member till this year, and the last two years we have won on a fluke against them. I can't see where getting the snot kicked out of us every year by Boise, Fresno, Nevada , and Hawaii for double the travel budget in FB alone makes sense. Let's get to the point of beating FAU & Troy on a regular basis before we blame the conference for our lack of recognition. As Pogo would say " we have found the enemy and they is us".

I'm not going to jump on any WAC bandwagon at the moment because I'm basically kind of neutral to the idea, but what has The Belt really done for us other than our early N.O. Bowl appearances? No rivalries, no easy drives (except maybe Monroe), no "name" opponents, and our football program is in the dumps. Also, The Belt looks as if it is about to continue its "entry level" tradition by admitting several 1A rookies over the next few years. On the other hand, I do think that The Belt is on the upswing, but leaving the "entry level" scene is a pretty enticing concept. As another poster said, we really just need to just start winning football games. We shall see.

The reason UNT is ranked #120 is not the SBC's fault. How can we continue to knock the SBC when we have won one league game in the last two years (UL-M in 2007?).

The only answer I can come up with for that is that I think our recruiting could very well improve if we were in the WAC. Maybe it's just me, but if I were a potential recruit, I would likely feel much better about committing to a WAC team over an SBC team. It might be different if we were picking up quality recruits in the "Old South" because of our SBC membership, but I'm just not seeing it.

And I don't think the WAC helps us add a rival.

683 miles to Las Cruces, NM

289 miles to Ruston, LA

Not too much difference to me than what we have now.

325 miles to Monroe, LA

428 miles to Lafayette, LA

461 miles to Jonesboro, AR

I will take this though:

32 miles to Dallas TX

246 miles to Tulsa, Ok

278 miles to Houston, TX

And rather than drive 683 miles to play NMSU, I would rather do either of these trips:

for football reasons

526 miles to Hattiesburg, MS

or for obvious reasons

558 to New Orleans, LA

All very true, but I do think that LA Tech just seems to have a little more "rivalry potential" than Monroe. Monroe and NT seemed to have a much stronger rivalry back in the Southland days when they were Northeast Louisiana, but that seems to have dried up a bit here in The Sunbelt.