Using The O-line To Handicap This Fall

Posted on the Belt board by SpaceRaider

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2009/05/12/t...icap-this-fall/

link is to a graphic that details the career starts of each team's o-line.....

The Sun Belt according to this graphic is as follows:

ULL - 113

FIU - 101

MT - 99

UNT - 93

WKU - 68

Troy - 54

ULM - 43

FAU - 30

Edited by MeanGreen61

Good numbers to see. Our line is more experienced than most of the WAC, MAC, MWC, and C-USA. Let's hope that gives young Riley the protection he needs to do his stuff. I also like the size coming into this season. Hollivay, Jenkins, and Bean at 360, 378, and 305.

Offensive linemen are often overlooked. They’re the only players who neither touch nor tackle the ball after the snap. Preseason rankings and expectations tend to revolve around returning skill-position players and star defenders, whose names the poll voters know. While offensive line experience is hardly the only factor in a team’s performance, it foretold some of last season’s biggest sleepers, including Ole Miss (101 starts heading into 2008) and Oregon State (78). That said, no amount of experience may help over-matched teams like Indiana and Washington State.

Unfortunately, I think that last comment applies to us too.

Edited by gangrene

FAU at 30 starts is why I think they aren't in the Belt race this year. Everyone seems to think they are a lock to contend for a bowl again. I have my doubts.

I really like our line. Add Jenkins, Bean, and Drake to what we had last year and you have some big experiences big uglies. Me likey.

Depth.....Something that we haven't had in a long time. It will be interesting to see how the O-line battles play out this year. Where will Drake end up, center or guard, if at center what happens with JJ. Has Gill bulked up even more? How Jenkins slimmed down even more? I don't think anyones position is safe heading into fall camp.