Will Riley's Speed Force Our Opponents Defense

Harry

I am interested to hear everyone's opinion on this. I know that Gio was a good QB for us in many respects, however I sense that Riley will bring an extra step of speed to the equation which should force the defenses to be a little more honest. Could this benefit us, even though Todge will look to protect Riley from contact (and injuries) early on? I also think Riley's lateral speed to the sidelines will open up some major holes for big Cam. Is it football season yet?

The bigger question is how elusive and inovative Riley can be on the run. Vizza took as much punishment at Troy during his first season as I have ever seen a QB take since Dandy Don's early years with the Cowboys. My wife and I were amazed several times that he could even get to his feet after the shots he took. Riley's knowledge of the offense may let him make the hot reads that Vizza did not have the experience to pick up. I feel it is absolutely essential that Riley not be put in a position to take the hits that Vizza took. That being said his knowledge of the offense plus more overall speed do add an interesting wrinkle. Personally I would like to see some sets where he and Tune are in the same backfield as this would really keep the defense off balance knowing that Riley could run, throw, or just be a decoy.

Will Riley's speed benefit the team? Will Riley's speed make opponets DC's

more honest?

Yes to both questions! Hell yes!

IMHO, Riley's quickness and speed will be a huge factor. Riley is a weapon, that

will open up holes in opponets defensive game plans.

When Riley breaks off a couple of big zone reads on Ball State, or breaks a big gain

on a scramble, every DC will pay special attention on containing Riley, through out

the season.

Attention to Riley will just open the door for Cam, the passing game, and the offense.

Riley will be a major weapon for the NT offense, plain and simple.

I hope we don't have to find out very often. I want him to be able to stay in the pocket and deliver passes. This will mean the OLine is doing their job, the WO's are getting open and Riley is not running for his life.

With that being said, the few times when he has called running plays I expect it will give the D something else to consider.

A dual threat QB is what this offense is build on, and Riley will had a further dimension to it. Viza was a hard fearless runner but did not have either the speed or elusiveness that Riley possesses. Riley's speed makes him a special player and I think it would be foolish to overprotect him and significantly limit his running. Dodge's running ability should not only keep defenses honest but be a real offensive weapon. I expect him to run smart and not try to overpower tacklers but use the slide and running out of bounds to compete runs and not take the risk of injury for an extra couple of yards.

I think it is obvious from the spring game that Dodge will run a lot and that is the way it should be. An attempt to make Riley a predomintly passing QB ala Viza would greatly hinder his potential. T

Without a doubt. Vizza was an avg runner. Many of the big shots he took while running were because he wouldn't back down. When most QB's would have slid or stepped out, Gio went head to head. Gutsy, but not always the smartest thing to do. Riley will bring a new option to this team, and be another weapon. The zone read will benefit him and out RB's. Riley had several runs in the spring game that would have gone for huge yards, if not tds, but were stopped by the refs. I hope to see some stat lines from him that read something like 19-24 237 yds 2 tds, 14 rushes for 97 yds 2 tds.

My sense from watching them in the Spring is that they are going to do a lot of dink and dunk, quick flat and curl routes where he only needs a 2-3 step drop. This eliminates the pass rush to a certain extent. From what I remember from him in high school is that he could roll out and either go deep or keep the ball and do some major damage. I would like to see both but I understand that keeping him healthy at least early on is of utmost importance. With the improved o-line, juco receivers and a healthy trio of Cam/Dunbar/Mosley - it should be fun to watch either way.

I know most are worried about Riley's health....but I'm going to be more than a little disappointed if we don't see a very effective zone-read play develop this season---and one that we see more than 3-4 times a game. It's got to be THE base running play in this offense and we haven't been able to run it with any consistency the last 2 years b/c the QB wasn't a real good run threat. Or at least that's what it appeared like to me.

I really don't think Riley is as "brittle" as some folks on this board seem to think. The kid played top level HS ball and was pretty darn healthy the whole way...yes, college ball is MUCH different and the hits are tougher, but the kid has shown the ability to move ariound. His speed will definitely be an asset. Yet, I do agree with harry that we'll see plenty of "dink and dunk" in the early games. But as the offensive line gets set as a group and as the offense progresses, i feel we will see Riley use his arm strength to throw some quality deep balls. You know, TTech has made a "career" going with the "dink and dunk". I'll bet here and now that if UNT wins early with the "dink and dunk" no one will be too overly worried about the lack of "downfield" throws.

I am glad to see some positive thoughts and comments about Riley here...maybe it's just because the season is getting closer. What ever it is...good to see. GO MEAN GREEN.

Have you bought your season tickets yet? If not...what are you waiting for...go get 'em. It will be a great season to be in the stands watching the Mean Green.

No. Most of the schools on our schedule have already seen bigger and faster players than Riley at QB, even in the Sun Belt. And, without a tight end or fullback (or both) to protect him every down, they will send guys in from all angles.

It's not Riley we should be worried about. It's whether or not the core of offensive coaches - specifically Dodge and Ford - are able to make in-game recognitions and adjustments to what opposing defensive coordinators are doing. The first 24 games, they've been lost a majority of the time.

No. Most of the schools on our schedule have already seen bigger and faster players than Riley at QB, even in the Sun Belt.

Like who? Corey Leonard at ASU and Desormeax (sp?) at ULL are both bigger.....doubt either is faster. What were Riley's 40 and short shuttle times? Just seeing him in person, he appears to be at least as quick/agile as almost any QB I've ever seen in the Belt.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but Leonard is about the only QB I can really remember who was both a very good runner and passer. Riley has a chance to be both. That is what will set him apart.

My sense from watching them in the Spring is that they are going to do a lot of dink and dunk, quick flat and curl routes where he only needs a 2-3 step drop.

This will be a downfall if they rely solely on dink passes like in the scrimmage to control and win games. The vaunted vertical-stretch offense has been reduced to dinking dust. Recall the stats from the scrimmage:

"Riley Dodge led the North team onto the field as the starter and engineered the win with 94 yards on 19-of-24 passing."

19 passes completed for only 94 yards?

I like that Riley offers a running QB option but with a moving pocket and dink passes or sideline run as the only weapons the opponent will make adjustments to stop this. Our own defense did in the second half of the scrimmage and you saw numerous sacks and yardage losses.

Go long or go home!

This will be a downfall if they rely solely on dink passes like in the scrimmage to control and win games. The vaunted vertical-stretch offense has been reduced to dinking dust. Recall the stats from the scrimmage:

"Riley Dodge led the North team onto the field as the starter and engineered the win with 94 yards on 19-of-24 passing."

19 passes completed for only 94 yards?

I like that Riley offers a running QB option but with a moving pocket and dink passes or sideline run as the only weapons the opponent will make adjustments to stop this. Our own defense did in the second half of the scrimmage and you saw numerous sacks and yardage losses.

Go long or go home!

Agreed, stretching the field is something that we need to see this year. That will help to set up the "dink and dunk" better than anything.

I didn't realize that Riley went 19-24 in the spring game. Tack on a couple of runs that were stopped and that wasn't to shabby of a showing for him.

Do you think we will perfect the screen pass? Well make positive yards at least?

Also, lets say Riley cuts in before the sideline and gets positive yards. Riley may be fast, but is there going to be some WR blocking for him down field? Is he gonna have make the yards on his own?

Do you think we will perfect the screen pass? Well make positive yards at least?

Also, lets say Riley cuts in before the sideline and gets positive yards. Riley may be fast, but is there going to be some WR blocking for him down field? Is he gonna have make the yards on his own?

I think there's just something in the Denton water that makes us unable to execute screen passes. If memory serves me correctly, we weren't any more competent at screen plays during the Dickey years.

No, Riley's speed will make no difference. Why? Because we proved last season that we rely on the short underneath passes, obvious WR screens and running on predictable downs. Opposing teams will do exactly what they did last season...send multiple blitzers and dare us to get rid of the ball, which we will do for about 3 maybe 4 yards a pass. And we'll be tackled the second the catch is made. I know we want to say that Riley will make them pay by tucking and running but let's honest...he's quick, he's not Deion Sanders. Trust me, no D-coordinator is sitting up nights wondering how to defend our vaunted spread offense that 40% or more of teams are running.

No, Riley's speed will make no difference. Why? Because we proved last season that we rely on the short underneath passes, obvious WR screens and running on predictable downs. Opposing teams will do exactly what they did last season...send multiple blitzers and dare us to get rid of the ball, which we will do for about 3 maybe 4 yards a pass. And we'll be tackled the second the catch is made. I know we want to say that Riley will make them pay by tucking and running but let's honest...he's quick, he's not Deion Sanders. Trust me, no D-coordinator is sitting up nights wondering how to defend our vaunted spread offense that 40% or more of teams are running.

Emmitt, you can't honestly say that you don't think that Riley will not give us a better running option at QB.

Emmitt, you can't honestly say that you don't think that Riley will not give us a better running option at QB.

I think if we are talking about the 1st half of ANY game Emmitt can honeslty still say yes, it will not matter. But, Will he give us a better running option once the game is out of hand and the Defenses are in a soft/prevent D ... ABSOUTLEY!!!

No, Riley's speed will make no difference. Why? Because we proved last season that we rely on the short underneath passes, obvious WR screens and running on predictable downs.

If that holds true to last season, then you've got no argument from me. I don't think you'll see the same gameplan as last year, though....at least regarding the running game. I think we'll be more successful this year in that regard due to a couple of factors---more experienced/physical oline and better execution of the zone read. Also, I wonder if we'll see TD and TFord opening things up a bit more (not necessarily being more aggressive, but not being so predictable) now that they presumably have a QB that they trust a bit more than the last 2 years? That last part is pure speculation, though.

Like who? Corey Leonard at ASU and Desormeax (sp?) at ULL are both bigger.....doubt either is faster. What were Riley's 40 and short shuttle times? Just seeing him in person, he appears to be at least as quick/agile as almost any QB I've ever seen in the Belt.

Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but Leonard is about the only QB I can really remember who was both a very good runner and passer. Riley has a chance to be both. That is what will set him apart.

Here's the part where the obvious must again be stated - UNT doesn't exist in a football vacuum.

It doesn't matter what Riley or any other single player on the field does. He doesn't have anything different than any of the opposing coaches haven't seen before for someone else, and many someone elses at that. And, in most cases, they've seen it from bigger and faster someone elses.

The first two games, for example, are against two MAC twos who are coached by fellows who spent much of their careers in the Big 8 and Big 12. Those guy have both coached and coached against quarterbacks who can run.

Hello, McFly? Frank Solich spent the better part of five decades at Nebraska. You think he hasn't seen quarterbacks who can run? Just in the time he spent as head coach at Nebraska he faced opponents featuring quarterbacks such Michael Bishop, Corby Jones, Tee Martin, Arnaz Battle, Jonathan Beasley, Zak Kustok, Casey Printers, Seneca Wallace, Brad Smith, Reggie McNeal, etc., etc., etc. Listing the run-pass QBs he's coached would be redundant to the opponent list.

Look at the career of every other coach for every other opponent on our schedule. They've seen quarterbacks who can run. The wheel hasn't been reinvented because Riley Dodge is now the quarterback. They've all coached against spread offenses. Again, this is something that isn't new. It's the same with every coach and coaching staff of every team we face. They've coached and/or coached against the running/passing quarterback and have done so for decades.

The hard truth is, year three of the Todd Dodge Experiment is going to come down to defense, special teams, and whether or not the weakest links in the coaching staff chain - Dodge and Ford calling the shots on offense - can finally recognize opposing defenses and make real-time, in-game adjustments to thwart their schemes.

Dodge and Ford have failed miserably during the first two years. That the offense regressed in 2008 when the same cast of character from 2007 were around doesn't bode well for the inexperienced 2009 crowd who is taking their place. They have got to recognize what is happening right in front of their eyes on the opposing defenses. They have yet to prove that they can do it at this level. They haven't even come close.

Here's the part where the obvious must again be stated - UNT doesn't exist in a football vacuum.

It doesn't matter what Riley or any other single player on the field does. He doesn't have anything different than any of the opposing coaches haven't seen before for someone else, and many someone elses at that. And, in most cases, they've seen it from bigger and faster someone elses.

The first two games, for example, are against two MAC twos who are coached by fellows who spent much of their careers in the Big 8 and Big 12. Those guy have both coached and coached against quarterbacks who can run.

Hello, McFly? Frank Solich spent the better part of five decades at Nebraska. You think he hasn't seen quarterbacks who can run? Just in the time he spent as head coach at Nebraska he faced opponents featuring quarterbacks such Michael Bishop, Corby Jones, Tee Martin, Arnaz Battle, Jonathan Beasley, Zak Kustok, Casey Printers, Seneca Wallace, Brad Smith, Reggie McNeal, etc., etc., etc. Listing the run-pass QBs he's coached would be redundant to the opponent list.

Look at the career of every other coach for every other opponent on our schedule. They've seen quarterbacks who can run. The wheel hasn't been reinvented because Riley Dodge is now the quarterback. They've all coached against spread offenses. Again, this is something that isn't new. It's the same with every coach and coaching staff of every team we face. They've coached and/or coached against the running/passing quarterback and have done so for decades.

The hard truth is, year three of the Todd Dodge Experiment is going to come down to defense, special teams, and whether or not the weakest links in the coaching staff chain - Dodge and Ford calling the shots on offense - can finally recognize opposing defenses and make real-time, in-game adjustments to thwart their schemes.

Dodge and Ford have failed miserably during the first two years. That the offense regressed in 2008 when the same cast of character from 2007 were around doesn't bode well for the inexperienced 2009 crowd who is taking their place. They have got to recognize what is happening right in front of their eyes on the opposing defenses. They have yet to prove that they can do it at this level. They haven't even come close.

I really was responding to the Sun Belt side of the coin, but sure, we'll go ahead and throw Riley Dodge into the list of players you name as players these coaches have all seen. Pick out one of them that wasn't very difficult to defend. Who cares if all these coaches have seen it before? What we care about is whether or not we are MORE difficult to defend with Riley at QB than without him.

I do agree that this year hinges more on our defense and special teams showing signs of life, but an improved offense can't hurt. Can it?