Phil Steel Top 40 Snubs M A C

Just pre-season stuff, but Phil Steele's Top 40 has teams from the MWC, WAC, CUSA and Sun Belt but not the MAC. (2 MWC, 2 WAC, 1 CUSA, 1 Sun Belt)

40- Arizona

39- Tennessee

38- Wisconsin

37- West Virginia

36- Oregon St.

35- Nevada (WAC)

34- Florida St.

33- Arkansas

32- NC State

31- Troy (Sun Belt)

30- N Carolina

29- Michigan St.

28- Georgia Tech

27- Southern Miss (CUSA)

26- USF

25- Clemson

24- UCLA

23- Pitt

22- Nebraska

21- Miami

20- Iowa

19- Illinois

18- TCU (MWC)

17- LSU

16- Rutgers

15- BYU (MWC)

14- Oklahoma St.

13- Georgia

12- Boise St. (WAC)

11- Virginia Tech

10- Ohio St

9- Cal

8- Alabama

7- Notre Dame

6- Ole Miss

5- Penn St.

4- Oklahoma

3- USC

2- Texas

1- Florida

And no Utah? Geez. Oh well, good for Belt and Troy.

This alone tells me this list is flawed. You can say that Utah lost a good amount of talent and you would be right. You could say that Alabama wasn't the team they were thought to be all season and you might be right. But you can't tell me Utah is magically now worse than all of these teams.

This alone tells me this list is flawed. You can say that Utah lost a good amount of talent and you would be right. You could say that Alabama wasn't the team they were thought to be all season and you might be right. But you can't tell me Utah is magically now worse than all of these teams.

That is exactly what I was thinking - how is Bama there and not Utah? I don't care how much talent you lose, you don't go from being the Unofficial Natl Champs to not being in the top 40.

Utah can start 41 or 60, but all they have to do is go undefeated this year and they play in the National Championship game in January. No way there appreciated and well deserved noise was for not this off-season.

GMG