Who We're Recruiting Against

SUMG

You can twist the rankings all you want, but the fact of the matter remains, the people who are paid to evaluate talent were impressed with what UNT landed in 2008, but were not impressed with what the Mean Green did overall in 2009.

Now consider that it is this class that many of you expect to come in here and fill in the holes that were gaping last season...this is the class that has many of you talking about 5 or 6 wins. :blink:

Outsiders ALWAYS have a more subjective view of a program, as long as they are properly educated.

I do think we are in for a long season, and a coaching change after. Hope I'm wrong.

I hope you are wrong as well. I sure would like to see some good football at North Texas again!

GMG

Abraham Lincoln ask Winfield Scott how can you take Mexico City with only 5000 men ans you can not take Richmond with 100,000.

Scott answered the men who took Mexico City are all on the other side.

You have got to have the right people I have my fingers crossed that we go 6-6.

Today is Memorial Day. Lest we forget.

Now consider that it is this class that many of you expect to come in here and fill in the holes that were gaping last season...this is the class that has many of you talking about 5 or 6 wins. :blink:

Once the Ball State game is over (or at the break) people will come back down to more realistic predictions.

Guest GrayEagleOne

You can twist the rankings all you want, but the fact of the matter remains, the people who are paid to evaluate talent were impressed with what UNT landed in 2008, but were not impressed with what the Mean Green did overall in 2009.

The reason that the analysts were more impressed with the 2008 class was it was a larger class. Twenty eight recruits gets more points than twenty recruits. Another factor was Riley Dodge. A third factor should have taken away from our total when Horton and Edwards turned out to be ineligible.

Let's talk about the talent evaluators first. After reviewing film, talking to coaches and others, and other criteria, they assign each recruit a grade. It ranges from 6.1 for the franchise all-American to 5.0 for the marginal Division 1A player. They also do three other things. They rank the players by position, nationally, and state and award bonus points for those that are ranked.

Maybe it's just me, but I have a real problem with awarding bonus points for something so unscientific. All of the ranks are strictly opinion. It's extremely hard to place an exact position on players nationally and almost as difficult to rank players within a state, especially one with as many players as there are in Texas, Florida, California and Ohio. Position ranking I could swallow a little easier but the sheer volume makes that difficult, too.

I'm told that these grades assigned are somewhat used because they are the basis of the star ratings. But if a 5.4 is a 2-star and a 5.0 is a 2-star, then why bother to assign ratings (grades) anyway? Just assign the 2-star rating to begin with and cut out the other grades. Ditto for the 5.5, 5.6, and 5.7 grades which are 3-star. And so on. The reason, in my opinion, is that star categories are too broad. Mid-majors seldom have anything but two or three star athletes.

Since the analysts have bothered to awwign numbers to each athlete based on what they think will be their ability and impact at the college level, then I think that evaluation is most fair. On that basis, I totalled the grades of the 2008 class and divided by the number of recruits and got an average of 5.31. That's with Horton and Edwards included. Without them it lowers the average .02 to 5.29. Doing the same with the class of 2009, that average comes to 5.33. That included Chevy Bennett but his grade of 5.3 was so close to the average that it didn't affect it overall.

So, it's my contention that the 2009 class is just as good as the 2008, at least by the evaluators. In fact, if we could put transfer Tyler Stradford in the mix the 2009 class would pull a little further ahead. I realize that some totally subscribe to the elaborate bonus points of the ranking system but I will never be convinced of its worth.

So does a 2-2 start get those with their head in their ass on board?

That record this year, with this team, would be a thriving success. That being said, I believe most will see just how bad this team is with this non conference record and teams this year because these teams really are teams we should be able to compete with.