A Little Respect For The Sun Belt

Smitty

ESPN.com has published its post-spring college football rankings, and Troy landed in the top 10 among non-BCS schools.

The full story has rankings for each BCS conference and the non-BCS schools with comments. Here are the the rankings only for the non-BCS schools with all comments removed except for the brief comment on Troy. This is a very brief excerpt from the full story.

1. TCU

2. Boise State

3. Notre Dame

4. BYU

5. Utah

6. East Carolina

7. Nevada

8. Houston

9. Troy -- I know the Sun Belt isn't one of the higher-level conferences, but the Trojans are for real. They're offense will give its opponents fits and their defense is littered with potential draft picks.

10. Navy

Link to the full story:

Post-spring power rankings

Edited by Smitty

ESPN.com has published its post-spring college football rankings, and Troy landed in the top 10 among non-BCS schools.

The full story has rankings for each BCS conference and the non-BCS schools with comments. Here are the the rankings only for the non-BCS schools with all comments removed except for the brief comment on Troy. This is a very brief excerpt from the full story.

Link to the full story:

Post-spring power rankings

Thanks for the link, but the thread title is a little misleading IMO. The comment clearly disses the SBC while praising Troy, so I fail to see how the author is showing any respect for the SBC. Still, nice to see a conference-mate receiving some positive attention...I can only dream that we'll get to that point some day.

Thanks for the link, but the thread title is a little misleading IMO. The comment clearly disses the SBC while praising Troy, so I fail to see how the author is showing any respect for the SBC. Still, nice to see a conference-mate receiving some positive attention...I can only dream that we'll get to that point some day.

2013 perhaps?

I understand what you're saying, but I think the mere fact of ranking one member of the conference shows some respect to that member and, by extension, to the conference as a whole. At least the conference is no longer beneath notice. Faint praise, to be sure, but it's a start.

Edited by Smitty

I understand what you're saying, but I think the mere fact of ranking one member of the conference shows some respect to that member and, by extension, to the conference as a whole. At least the conference is no longer beneath notice. Faint praise, to be sure, but it's a start.

Yes, it's a stretch for sure...but I follow your logic. I was just expecting to read something about how the SBC, as a whole, was improving and becoming a more competitive FBS conference, which isn't far-fetched considering how our conference-mates have tested, and beaten, some high profile teams the last few years.

They could have added Arkansas State to that list had the Red Wolves not got jobbed in Austin year before last. I love meeting smart-ass Aggies these days whenver they start it up about my Mean Green. Nothing feeds them a crap sandwhich more than when you reply with "Hey, don't worry, North Texas couldn't beat Arkansas State.....EITHER last year".

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick