Oklahoma State Wanting A Dallas Game

SUMG

OSU has been wanting to play in Dallas for a good bit of time now. Obviously, it is a BIG recruiting atrea for them, and they seems to have very good relationships with several of the bigger time HS programs in the area. It only makes sense that they would prefer to play in the Cotton Bowl or Jerry World as their main rival (OU) does every year. They were working hard at one time to get TTech to play them in Dallas at one or the other spots, but that feel through as we all know.

Would OSU ever play in Denton at the new stadium? Well, I do think they would given the "right" circumstances. What might those be...a guarantee of a decent amount of cash, an easrly season game and a UNT squad that's a bit improved from the last couple of years. And, an assurance that UNT could do its part in getting rears in the stands for a COMPLETE SELLOUT of the stadium. That, the sellout part, is the easiest to accomplish and I think would be a "no brainer". With the new stadium in place, I think we will all see much higher teams wanting to play in Denton than we see now. Only makes sense to both parties. You watch TCU, Baylor, TTech, OSU, SMU, A&M, KST, Kan, Duke, Ky, etc., etc. look to come to Denton for early season out-of-conference games...not to mention the Navy, Army and Air Force bunch!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I see Jerry World as potentially hurting UNT, SMU, and TCU as the big boys will now meet here to play each other and get exposure, as opposed to having to schedule a game with one of the three local D1A schools. Yes, I know they could have done that already in the Cotton Bowl, but no one wanted to play in that dump of a stadium beside OU-Texas (mainly because of the attachment to the state fair). I just wonder how hard it is going to be to get a prominent program scheduled for the new stadium.

Why not OSU vs North Texas at The Cotton Bowl or Jerry World?

I doubt that OSU will want to play in the Cotton Bowl, and we have traditionally had lously turn-outs there. I would go along with Jerry World, until our stadium gets built.....then it's Eagle/Pohl/Fry...(whatever) stadium for all our future home games.

Edited by SilverEagle

OSU playing NT at the Cotton Bowl during the State Fair. Why not? There will soon be an opening at the Cotton Bowl in the fall.

We played OSU at the Cotton Bowl in 1981.

It was one of the biggest disasters in NT sports history.

Despite having numerous name musical acts (they were names at that time) perform at half-time and in a post game concert....the crowd that day was 9,000 (about half of which were OSU fans).

We also played UTA there that year....and drew I think 6,000.

I know it's 28 years later....but I don't think our fans want any part of going to the Cotton Bowl. And btw.....I think one of those games was during the Fair.

20,000 wearing kelly green and 72,000 wearing cowboy orange.

No, OSU will want to play a rival in Dallas, not the worst Div 1-A school. Maybe if we move to C-USA or MWC in 4 or 5 years and actually compete, then we can talk.

20K wearing Kelly Green is very optomistic. There might be 20K NT students/alums show up there, but all of them wearing Kelly Green?

Despite having numerous name musical acts (they were names at that time) perform at half-time and in a post game concert....the crowd that day was 9,000 (about half of which were OSU fans).

I know it's 28 years later....but I don't think our fans want any part of going to the Cotton Bowl. And btw.....I think one of those games was during the Fair.

I was at that game. Wow, 28 years ago. Thanks SUMG you made me feel old today. :(

Keith

I agree. We want no part of playing at the Cotton Bowl. It doesn't matter if the fair is open or not. I know a couple of TTech fans that were salivating at the proposition of playing Oklahoma State in the Cotton Bowl, during the fair, because they are so envious and jealous of the tradition OU and Texas have built. What they fail to understand is that an OSU/TTech game will never rival the Texas/OU game in terms of revelry or media coverage. Oh sure, it may be successful for a few years, especially right now, while both schools are playing good football, but it could never become what Texas/OU is, IMO.

I'm not really sure how I feel about playing in JerryWorld right now. Given the limited number of home games we have, I understand the need to play all of them in Denton. However, I don't feel we have any real home field advantage by playing at Fouts vs. JerryWorld. If playing at JerryWorld was a deal breaker in getting a prominent opponent to visit us (rather than force us to play at their home field) and was more profitable for us vs. playing at Fouts or our yet to be built new stadium, I wouldn't oppose it.

What they fail to understand is that an OSU/TTech game will never rival the Texas/OU game in terms of revelry or media coverage. Oh sure, it may be successful for a few years, especially right now, while both schools are playing good football, but it could never become what Texas/OU is, IMO.

This sounds eerily similar to something I've heard before... before... before...

*Shimmery flashback to a scene at the UNT Student Union*

Student 1: Why do we need a new stadium?

UNTFlyer: So we can attract better players, move up to a better conference...

Student 2: But UNT is not a football school. It never will be.

UNTFlyer: I think it can be, look at the size of our student body. Just because we haven't been, doesn't mean we never will be.

Student 1: But we'll never be like Texas... never be like Texas... never be like Texas.

This sounds eerily similar to something I've heard before... before... before...

*Shimmery flashback to a scene at the UNT Student Union*

Student 1: Why do we need a new stadium?

UNTFlyer: So we can attract better players, move up to a better conference...

Student 2: But UNT is not a football school. It never will be.

UNTFlyer: I think it can be, look at the size of our student body. Just because we haven't been, doesn't mean we never will be.

Student 1: But we'll never be like Texas... never be like Texas... never be like Texas.

Ah, but I don't want to UNT to be like Texas. I'd prefer us to be like Baylor (see other thread)!!! :P

I was also present at the games in the Cotton Bowl and agree that they were a disaster. There was a country-western concert after the OSU game. I think there were about 50 people who stayed for that. What a mess. After that game I told North Texas athletic department officials that I would never again attend a North Texas game at The Cotton Bowl. Nothing has happened that would cause me to change my mind. Let's play our home games in Denton.

No, OSU will want to play a rival in Dallas, not the worst Div 1-A school. Maybe if we move to C-USA or MWC in 4 or 5 years and actually compete, then we can talk.

OSU will be looking for a neutral site game and opponent at JerryWorld to entice their fans to come from out of town. I believe their priority list goes something like LSU, Ole Miss, Houston, Tulane, or USM. Way down on the list are TCU, Smut, and UNT due to being locals. UNT will have a lot of trouble getting a Big12 South team to ever come to Denton now. JerryWorld will hurt our chances with a lot of power schools that want to play in this area; all they have to do is find another similar distance school and agree to meet in Arlington, ie Notre Dame and Arizona State.

Joining CUSA or the MWC must be the next big push for our football program to elevate itself out of the shallow end.

Edited by NT80

Guess I should have put up my sarcasm smiley. I remember. T.G. Shepherd was one of the "stars" playing after that nightmare.

Bring Iowa State to Denton. You would be shocked at the number of alumni around here. They always have a crowd at the Houston sports bars and bet they would travel to Denton to see their team play.

I see Jerry World as potentially hurting UNT, SMU, and TCU as the big boys will now meet here to play each other and get exposure, as opposed to having to schedule a game with one of the three local D1A schools.

I don't necessarily think that's true in TCU's case. Oklahoma is scheduled to play BYU, another Mountian West Conference school, in September at Jerry World. I think as competitive as TCU is, they could have one of their games against OU or Texas moved there. They play OU either in 2010 or 2011, I forget. It's supposed to be in Fort Worth. But, I bet they'd move it for more money. They have a pretty shrewd athletic director.

One thing will always transcend conferences and leagues in any sport at any level - people pay to see winners. TCU has proven its winning isn't a fluke. You can't, then, lump them into the same category as us and SMU.

Bring Iowa State to Denton. You would be shocked at the number of alumni around here. They always have a crowd at the Houston sports bars and bet they would travel to Denton to see their team play.

I'd like to see that as well. Unfortunately, the Cyclones don't have an open out of conference date until 2018; http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_...tate_future.htm

They have some decent home and homes against non-BCS schools:

Utah in 2010 (home) and 2011 (away)

Tulsa in 2012 (home) and 2013 (away)

Air Force in 2013 (away) and 2014 (home)

San Jose State, 2 for 1, 2015 & 2016 (home) and 2017 (away)

Navy in 2018 (home) and 2019 (away)

They also play an annual game with Iowa. They then generally work in Northern Iowa, Northern Illinois and other regional non-BCS schools and FCS schools for single season home games (Western Illinois, Western Kentucky, North Dakota State).

Guest GrayEagleOne

20,000 wearing kelly green and 72,000 wearing cowboy orange.

Except for the numbers...what flyer said.