New Qb Recruit...redshirt?

Got5onIt

Alrighty then, the guantlet is thrown down...find another school with as much inexperience with their QBs going into the seasons as we do. :rolleyes:

Fresno State, we still don't know if its the redshirt athlete Ebahn Feathers or Ryan Colburn who started 2 games in the 07 season and did HORRIBLY.

I think we have hope if the transfer WR Stratford(?) is declared eligible for fall. The others, I haven't seen much of, but hope the injury to Outlaw was not serious; it sounds like he has real speed. However, I think the real thing is the running game; most people don't seem to realize how big a part of the spread offense that has been for Todd Dodge and others. I'd love to seen a brilliant senior season for Cam Montgomery. To me, he's the one solid piece of the offensive puzzle.

The O-line and getting the running game going are going to be huge in opening up the passing game. Having Stratford would be HUGE. I also hope that Rucker is able to make it back, having a 6'6 target would be a great weapon for Dodge.

I think we have hope if the transfer WR Stratford(?) is declared eligible for fall. The others, I haven't seen much of, but hope the injury to Outlaw was not serious; it sounds like he has real speed.

So, Dodge has to hope a few things go his way this year. His top two receivers must become eligible and recover from an injury. He must see his QB son heave a college football to the correct place at the correct time for the first time in his college career and repeat several hundred times over the season while remaining healthy with no repeats of concussion or strained shoulder. He must hope his new punter can punt in college and that his NCAA worst defense can actually stop someone this year. Easy, no sweat.

So, Dodge has to hope a few things go his way this year. His top two receivers must become eligible and recover from an injury. He must see his QB son heave a college football to the correct place at the correct time for the first time in his college career and repeat several hundred times over the season while remaining healthy with no repeats of concussion or strained shoulder. He must hope his new punter can punt in college and that his NCAA worst defense can actually stop someone this year. Easy, no sweat.

You're right on target, except for that "easy" part.

This season and the immediate future is all about Riley. It's a lot of pressure to put on a freshman's shoulders.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but won't Riley be a 21 year old freshman early this Fall? He ain't no baby anymore, and the "extra years" that he has on him may bode well for his physical durability and decision making. Some posters seem to want to bash him before he gets his chance, which I think is absolutely ludicrous. He was without a doubt the best 5A QB in Texas, and that alone makes him damn well qualified to get a shot as THE quarterback at The University of North Texas. I'm looking forward to September.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Riley's "nepotistic" rise to the starting Qb role and the loss of Pepperoni Vizza, has me wondering how Teflon Todd will handle the new recruit? If J-Hall does indeed stand behind his commitment, he would have to ride the pine for at least 4 seasons as Riley plays out his eligibility (of course, assuming Teflon isn't fired within the next 4 years). Redshirting the new guy would give him a shot at possibly starting for two years. How much time does Tune have left? What about Baine? Is Baine a viable option at backup?

Begin the speculation!

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Nepotism, my ass! Good grief, man, what does it take to convince you? I won't bother to list all of Riley's honors but All-State, Offensive Player of the Year and MVP are sprinkled throughout his honors. Gatorade Player of the Year twice. Parade All-American. Can you name any other North Texas recruit...ever...with that kind of credentials?

The only thing that you might knock about Riley is his height and perhaps a proneness to injury. The former is a given but who can say if he'll ever be seriously injured again? All that can be done is to prepare for that eventuality.

Hall still has his senior year ahead of him so he won't be riding the pine for 4 years. He will also more-than-likely have a redshirt season. There are few situations where he'll start for more than two years at the FBS level anyway. If he has a terrific year he'll probably get a Big XII offer. If he's as advertised then he'll no doubt start his junior and senior seasons. And, should Riley have a serious injury, he could start much sooner. However, he'll also have to be better than Thompson and Baine and that's not a given.

I welcome Javia Hall and wish him the best. As I've said previously, I hope that he is kept at quarterback unless and until he proves that he can't play it (start or be a solid #2).

Guest GrayEagleOne

Riley's "nepotistic" rise to the starting Qb role and the loss of Pepperoni Vizza, has me wondering how Teflon Todd will handle the new recruit? If J-Hall does indeed stand behind his commitment, he would have to ride the pine for at least 4 seasons as Riley plays out his eligibility (of course, assuming Teflon isn't fired within the next 4 years). Redshirting the new guy would give him a shot at possibly starting for two years. How much time does Tune have left? What about Baine? Is Baine a viable option at backup?

Begin the speculation!

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Nepotism, my ass! Good grief, man, what does it take to convince you? I won't bother to list all of Riley's honors but All-State, Offensive Player of the Year and MVP are sprinkled throughout his honors. Gatorade Player of the Year twice. Parade All-American. Can you name any other North Texas recruit...ever...with that kind of credentials?

The only thing that you might knock about Riley is his height and perhaps a proneness to injury. The former is a given but who can say if he'll ever be seriously injured again? All that can be done is to prepare for that possibility.

Hall still has his senior year ahead of him so he won't be riding the pine for 4 years. He will also more-than-likely have a redshirt season. There are few situations where he'll start for more than two years at the FBS level anyway. If he has a terrific year he'll probably get a Big XII offer. If he's as advertised then he'll no doubt start his junior and senior seasons. And, should Riley have a serious injury, he could start much sooner. However, he'll also have to be better than Thompson and Baine and that's not a given.

I welcome Javia Hall and wish him the best. As I've said previously, I hope that he is kept at quarterback unless and until he proves that he can't play it (start or be a solid #2).