Another Nt Commit

emmitt01

This is one is a solid as opposed to the soft one we got from his teammate!

I guess Dodge is trying to buck the trend with the whole HS teammate thing :

Scoggins/King Euless Trinity

Padron/Russo SLC

Dibrell/Vizz SA Alamo Heights

:D

Edited by NT03

If you go to the rivals commitment page for 2010 it shows an OL by the name of Graylin Hawkins out of Dallas Skyline. Little light at 240 but he's got a full year to develop.

Good catch Emmitt!

GMG

Skyline has 8 D1 prospects this year. Maybe the staff can

catch another Skyline prospect.

Hawkin's listed weight was from his junior year. Regardless of

his weight, Hawkin's is a very good athlete for the OL.

Nebraska, Ok St and Utah have interest in Hawkin's too.

If Hawkin's becomes a red shirt, a full year of training

by Coach Ausmus will certainly make a physical change.

The two OT's from Allen HS, Luke Burleson, 6-6, 275 and Taylor

Pearson, 6-5, 287, have offers from North Texas. I hope the

staff can gain more commitments from the DFW area.

Side note- I remember when Hayden Fry signed 5 or 6

players from a great Dallas Carter HS team.

Another good get for TD. There is one more Skyline players who we have an offer to.

He is 240, prolly taken early in the year. It should be no problem for him to get to a decent playing weight. I would rather have someone who is in the 240 range and add the weight then some who are 330 and have to lose it. Just a different body type alot of the time.

Nice, welcome aboard Graylin. Glad to have you, now go hit the buffet line and the weights so you can be ready to start next year!

No need to with Santiago, Johnson, Feely, Gill, etc... being underclassmen. Let's bring Graylin in and let him develop his first year or two like most good programs with depth are able to do.

No need to with Santiago, Johnson, Feely, Gill, etc... being underclassmen. Let's bring Graylin in and let him develop his first year or two like most good programs with depth are able to do.

I'm pretty sure that description does not fit UNT right now. With this team, I think every player needs to be ready to start at any given time...given the injuries and transfers we've seen the last two years. Would I love to be able to redshirt quality freshman to "develop" for a year? No doubt about it.

I guess I wasn't very clear in the point I was trying to make. I do not think the program as a whole has the depth it needs at every position. The one position's depth that I feel comfortable with is the offensive line. With Santiago, Johnson, Feely, Gill, Drake, Menard, Tomlinson, Bean, Hollivay, Jenkins, Bailey?, Leppo, etc... I think OL depth is not an issue and allows the coaching staff to develop these young men.

I also think the depth a RB and WR are becoming strengths with the DB's close behind. DL and LB need to come around.

Edited by UNTLifer

Could someone refresh my memory here please. Last Skyline recruit we had was WR Roy Covington. I know he played for a little bit but I don't think he lasted all 4 years with the program. Did he transfer,quit,graduate ?

Ummm...he was too busy being a very mediocre pick-up game basketball player at the Rec to be concerned with things like studying, playing football. I think he was on campus for a year, maybe year and a half at most

I am right there with you Lifer, regarding depth and experience

for the OL. Maybe the staff will be able to redshirt many of the

2010 class, because of the depth in certain positions.

I would be interested in finding out the total number of 1 yr, 2yr and 3yr

lettermen currently on this team. Seems like every man on this team

played in games last year.

Since this is May, more OL/DL prospects are sure to develop during the recruiting

process. The staff has a detailed evaluation process for each prospect which

reflects more on the 2008, and 2009 classes. I do believe the 2010 class

will be impressive. I would be interested in knowing who Coach Gandy's target

prospects are, in his assigned area of Mississippi and Louisana. I sure Coach

Gandy will gain some impressive commitments again.

Last year, the freshmen DB's had a disadvantage going against many good

WR's. Even though these freshmen got beat, they did make plays, and they

learned alot. Add in the vetran DB's, the JUCO's and the DB transfers, I think

the secondary play will be stronger. If the DL comes through in rushing the

QB on passing downs, the secondary just may suprise us this season.

Just my thought on the importance of depth in ALL position with equal talant. A few years ago when UNT was winning Belt titles, but still taking on body-bag games with UT and OU...... I was up in Norman for one of the games. UNT kept knocking OU players out of the game. I bet we sent 6 - 7 players to the showers early. The problem was, the back-up that came in was an underclassman who was bigger and faster with just as much talant waiting for their turn to play. OU wore us down through attrition. I think that was the game we were ahead 13 - 3 at the end of the first quarter. Final score was something like 63 - 13.....but you see what I am saying!!!! We need depth at ALL positions to compete with the Big Boys and dominate at the S-Belt level.....

Just my thought on the importance of depth in ALL position with equal talant. A few years ago when UNT was winning Belt titles, but still taking on body-bag games with UT and OU...... I was up in Norman for one of the games. UNT kept knocking OU players out of the game. I bet we sent 6 - 7 players to the showers early. The problem was, the back-up that came in was an underclassman who was bigger and faster with just as much talant waiting for their turn to play. OU wore us down through attrition. I think that was the game we were ahead 13 - 3 at the end of the first quarter. Final score was something like 63 - 13.....but you see what I am saying!!!! We need depth at ALL positions to compete with the Big Boys and dominate at the S-Belt level.....

I recall that game...only, I don't recall ever being up on OU 13-3

If you go to the rivals commitment page for 2010 it shows an OL by the name of Graylin Hawkins out of Dallas Skyline. Little light at 240 but he's got a full year to develop.

I couldn't agree more, but why is this thought not shared with every recruit? I'm not pointing you out emmit, just those that stated that Hall is too light, slow, etc... to play QB in college when he is only 17 and still has at least 2 years to physically develop. How many of you were the same size your second year in college as you were when you were a Jr. in high school? Prime example is Adrian Awasome. I seem to recall he weighed around 215-225 when he signed his LOI.

I couldn't agree more, but why is this thought not shared with every recruit? I'm not pointing you out emmit, just those that stated that Hall is too light, slow, etc... to play QB in college when he is only 17 and still has at least 2 years to physically develop. How many of you were the same size your second year in college as you were when you were a Jr. in high school? Prime example is Adrian Awasome. I seem to recall he weighed around 215-225 when he signed his LOI.

How much are QB's expected to develop before they play vs. linemen?

I would venture to say that QBs should be relatively well developed and putting on 20 additional lbs is about what is expected/desired.

Lineman, however, have a completely different build and expectation. Some of these kids only put on 20 more, but some will balloon so much (20 - 50+) they are reconsidered for another spot on the line.

** not disagreeing, but I do want to play devil's advocate.

Edited by greenminer

We were up 3-0 before they took a 13-3 halftime lead.

Wrong, if this would have been the 03 game. OK was up 23-0 at the half and ended up winning 37-3. I was there. I also was on the losing end of the 33 1/2 point spread. Do you think it was a coincidence that Stoops went for a fourth a 6 at the UNT 25 with about a minute to play and threw a pass for the first down yardage, with the drive eventually ending in a OK touchdown with about 30 seconds left? I think not.

If only Les Miles understood that he needed to cover for his alumni.

Wrong, if this would have been the 03 game. OK was up 23-0 at the half and ended up winning 37-3. I was there. I also was on the losing end of the 33 1/2 point spread. Do you think it was a coincidence that Stoops went for a fourth a 6 at the UNT 25 with about a minute to play and threw a pass for the first down yardage, with the drive eventually ending in a OK touchdown with about 30 seconds left? I think not.

I was in error, confusing the '01 game. We were down 14-3 at end of 1st, and 14-10 at half.

How many miss Jamaal Branch?

In the 2001 game, we were up 3-0 in the first quarter. In the second quarter, we trailed only 14-10 until about the five minute mark. Then, OU scord for a haltime lead of 21-10. Leading 30-10 with more than 14 minutes left in the game, OU threw at touchdown pass.

So, what's the rule, if a team is leading by 20 points with a whole quarter left, they can't throw the ball anymore? Also, a 27 point loss to OU when we were very competitive is not bad. I'd take that kind of loss over any other we've suffered through the past two seasons.

In the 2003 game, OU led 23-0. With about five minutes left, they led 30-3 and their backup QB threw a TD to a backup receiver. Wow, big deal. Such a pock mark. One thing is for sure, 37-10 and 37-10 are quite different than 79-10.

In 1998, Darrell Dickey's first year, OU beat us 37-9. We led 6-0 after one quarter. At half, OU led 10-6. After three, OU only led 16-9. This was Darrell Dickey's first game as UNT head coach. They scored three TDs in the fourth quarter. Up 30-9 with about two minutes left, their fourth team QB threw a touchdown pass. Oooo. Such treachery.

In fact, this is how Darrell Dickey's first squad fared in their out of conference schedule:

OU 37, UNT 9 - Away

Texas Tech 30, UNT 0 - Irving

Arizona 34, UNT 15 - Away

Texas A&M 28, UNT 9 - Away

Houston 31, UNT 9 - Home

Kansas 23, UNT 14 -Away

That looks like 0-6 to me.

As a wise man once told me, "It's still a twinkie on the outisde, but has dog $hit instead of the cream filling." Yes, it's all 0-6, just not a dog-butted 0-whatever, Dodge has lead North Texas to.

As a wise man once told me, "It's still a twinkie on the outisde, but has dog $hit instead of the cream filling." Yes, it's all 0-6, just not a dog-butted 0-whatever, Dodge has lead North Texas to.

No, it was a pretty dog-butted 0 and whatever that Dickey brought his first few years. Admittedly, the '07 OU game and '08 Rice game may have been the worst games in UNT's history. But those Dickey scores that aren't quite as much of blowouts don't tell the whole story. Dickey just had the ability to lull everyone to sleep--the opposition, his players, and especially the fans.