Nt Gets First Commit For 2010, A 3 * Qb

OldTimer

Sorry, I thought we were just mentioning what we thought would happen with the kid. Looks like a player, I just don't see him playing QB. And looks like a great player in a UNT uniform, I just don't think he will be playing under our current coach. It's not Dodge though, it's any coach that comes in here and has my school playing the way it has for the last 2 years.

You have to understand that lashing out at anyone who tells you it's raining is far easier than going outside and standing in the downpour.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I thought we were just mentioning what we thought would happen with the kid. Looks like a player, I just don't see him playing QB. And looks like a great player in a UNT uniform, I just don't think he will be playing under our current coach. It's not Dodge though, it's any coach that comes in here and has my school playing the way it has for the last 2 years.

My comment had nothing to do with Hall it was the dig at Coach Dodge. If you have read the ESPN write up and the Elite 11 QB camp write up where he was in the top 5 QB's, including coming in at #2 on the accuracy phase they indicate to me he will play QB. The post was about a NT prospect not about Dodge. I can understand everyone's feelings about Dodge, I'm not happy with our record the last two years, it just doesn't need to be inserted in every post on the board...time after time after time.

The post was about a NT prospect not about Dodge. I can understand everyone's feelings about Dodge, I'm not happy with our record the last two years, it just doesn't need to be inserted in every post on the board...time after time after time.

telling us what to post? dodges performance has a direct impact on eventual recruiting. every potential recruit that could save the program may not show up here at all. i mention potential recruit because all these names you're constantly throwing out have not and can not sign with unt until 2010. a committ means nothing. that's a long time away and many will not stick with unt once they get offers from other schools or his dad sees unt pull another 2-10 this season. things change kid's opinion of a program very fast.

Edited by LoveMG

telling us what to post? dodges performance has a direct impact on eventual recruiting. every potential recruit that could save the program may not show up here at all. i mention potential recruit because all these names you're constantly throwing out have not and can not sign with unt until 2010. a committ means nothing. that's a long time away and many will not stick with unt once they get offers from other schools or his dad sees unt pull another 2-10 this season. things change kid's opinion of a program very fast.

He is not telling you what to post, but voicing a complaint about mentioning the record over and over. A lot of people on this board have complained that Vito mentions it too much and it has gotten old. OT is just saying the same thing about certain posters on this board. I think it is a vallid complaint.

He is not telling you what to post, but voicing a complaint about mentioning the record over and over. A lot of people on this board have complained that Vito mentions it too much and it has gotten old. OT is just saying the same thing about certain posters on this board. I think it is a vallid complaint.

to not mention it does not mean it didn't happen. recruiting is one way rto fix it and ot is right that dodge needs to focus on that. but we all know there is another way to potentially fix it too> elephant in the corner of the room

Face it. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Some posters claim we are being left behind at every turn because we don't have "commitments" and others claim you can't count on these "commitments" because they don't become official until National Signing Day.

to not mention it does not mean it didn't happen. recruiting is one way rto fix it and ot is right that dodge needs to focus on that. but we all know there is another way to potentially fix it too> elephant in the corner of the room

We all know the record. Mentioning it every third post does not change it either. And as far as I am concerned, I have no control over the elephant, so it can stay in the corner and I am not going to concern myself with it. Recruiting is what is going on right now, and we have seen improvement in this area, so at least we have that.

Amazing how when something obviously good appears regarding the football team, there just has to be some folks who want to be certain that folks are not too pleased about the situation. I find it hard to believe that we could not just have a thread that sticks to the topic about what seems to be a decent commit for UNT.

Lifer...100% correct with the post...danged iof you do and danged if you don't. SIGH! :bangin:

Skinny and tall, but not too fast. I'd redshirt him and move him to the slot or free safety. He's not big enough to withstand the hits QBs take in college and not fast enough to play outside as a wide receiver. In the slot, he'd match up well against smaller corners who normally play in nickel and dime packages, slower linebackers, or slower safeties. If he has some agility and aggressiveness, he could grow into the free safety position and be a playmaker there. Many high school QBs/Athletes make the switch to defensive back in college.

Face it. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Some posters claim we are being left behind at every turn because we don't have "commitments" and others claim you can't count on these "commitments" because they don't become official until National Signing Day.

And, after signing day, they can still quit the program after a year or two and go walk on at SMU or TAMU, for example! B) So, really, I guess we can never count on a player's commitment. :P

Now, to make a serious comment on this thread. I've never seen Hall play, but he sounds like a good addition based on his stats and what I've read about him. If he is as athletic as promised, I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him switching to another position as well...but that is dependent on way too many factors to know definitively right now.

Not that I doubt OT, but I'm still awaiting an official report before I believe he's really committed to UNT. Rivals doesn't show him committed and I haven't seen that Vito has called him to confirm yet. I did read that he wanted to commit prior to the start of this season, but that's still 3 1/2 months away. At any rate, I will have to contain my excitement until signing day and hope he's not another Keenan Flax.

Skinny and tall, but not too fast. I'd redshirt him and move him to the slot or free safety. He's not big enough to withstand the hits QBs take in college and not fast enough to play outside as a wide receiver. In the slot, he'd match up well against smaller corners who normally play in nickel and dime packages, slower linebackers, or slower safeties. If he has some agility and aggressiveness, he could grow into the free safety position and be a playmaker there. Many high school QBs/Athletes make the switch to defensive back in college.

Honest question.

If this young man is rated as a Top 25 QB, has the height, needs to add weight but is only a Jr. in high school so that will naturally come and played well at the Elite 11 camp, why plan on moving him. Why not wait and see how he develops physically and as a QB?

Honest question.

If this young man is rated as a Top 25 QB, has the height, needs to add weight but is only a Jr. in high school so that will naturally come and played well at the Elite 11 camp, why plan on moving him. Why not wait and see how he develops physically and as a QB?

Because, there are guys out there that you don't have to wait for, who are already big enough and strong enough coming out of high school. I think you can get this kid on the field quicker at safety or in the slot, if he's a good enough athlete.

Look at the size of our players. No defensive back is listed at over 6'0". And, we know from the NFL combine and scouting reports how much size is exaggerated by colleges. We had Casey Fitzgerald listed a 5'11". NFL scout measured him at just a hair over 5'9".

Imagine having a big hitting safety roaming our secondary for a change. If this kid's a true 6'2" (even if he's a true 6'1") and can put on 20 pounds and keep a 4.6 forty, I'd love to see him in the secondary.

Also, for all the recievers we've recruited the past three seasons, few are listed over 6'1" and none have contributed much at all. If this guy's a true athlete, get him on the field and let him put that size to use catching ball across the middle on the slants and short passes that are the bread and butter of this offense.

Besides, I thought the assumptions was Riley Dodge at QB for four years. If that's the case, why have a guy with this talent sitting on the bench gathering dust?

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Honest question.

Because you're assuming all that will play out, which is fine. Can we just call it like it currently is and not be evil for one moment?

The kid is just a junior. The real "college" weight is developed their redshirt year. I can't weight (pun intended :rolleyes:) to see how he ends up. Hopefully he can develop some speed, too. I don't think that is unheard of.

I have no control over the elephant, so it can stay in the corner and I am not going to concern myself with it.

ah, but you do control the elephant. your comments and actions or inactions determine what the elephant does. it was the lack of fan satisfaction with dickey's progesss that got the elephant to sit on him.

Edited by LoveMG

ah, but you do control the elephant. your comments and actions or inactions determine what the elephant does. it was the lack of fan satisfaction with dickey's progesss that got the elephant to sit on him.

Let's not overstate our importance here. We have input on the elephant, but not control. There are always other factors that come into these decisions. Besides, I don't have the money to have significant input on the elephant.

I love speaking in code, it makes me feel like I have a secret.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If he signs I'd leave him at quarterback until he proves to me that he can't play it. Don't forget, he has another full school year and two summers to put on weight and even some speed. Strength Coach Ausmus will have him ready.

What elephant in the room?

1) 2005: 2-9?

2) 2006: 3-9?

3) 2007: 2-10?

4) 2008: 1-11?

OR

5) Seeing a Dodge recruit (we may or may not get in a year or 2) stick around long enough to have a REAL impact on this program?

Things aren't going well right now. Every recruit in the world knows what the challenges are coming here. However, when you think about all those challenges, UNT has an huge upside that we, as fans, all see. Obviously, the players that are committing here see it too. There is nothing wrong with sticking your head in the sand if you want to, but don't expect everyone to not talk about where we are and where we need to get to. You all act like recruits don't notice these things. The best part about getting a potentially great recruit, is that they are committing because they want to be a reason for turning things around here.

The best part about getting a potentially great recruit, is that they are committing because they want to be a reason for turning things around here.

Isn't that what Vizza said? Eventually frustration overwhelms many.

Every coach and player wants to be the guy that changes a loser into a winner. Fans don't really care who that is as long as it doesn't take extended years to happen. As the ESPN previewer basically said: we are a patient bunch given the situation that was inherited but our patience is now wearing thin...time to show some improvement.

ESPN:

Fall questions

1. Dodge on the hot seat: After coming over as a highly touted offensive genius from the high school ranks, North Texas coach Todd Dodge has found offensive success, but he hasn't found many wins. He took on a down program, so he's been granted some leeway, but he has to show some sort of progress this season to keep the North Texas faithful happy.

Edited by NT80

I'm still a bit concerned that no1 else has reported this, hope scout.com didn't jump the gun

rivals

<a href="http://www.texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=32&url_article_id=2307&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2#post" target="_blank">dave_campbell's

</a>

TexasHSFootball.com

Nothing on a commitment yet from ESPN either, and their update on him was from 5/11/2009 - yesterday:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...cruitId%3d69489

To me, he looks better on film than Riley Dodge did. But, then again, I never considered Riley FBS QB material either. Both are great athletes who would be moved to another position by any other FBS coach in the nation. Scouts, Inc. mentions that as well about Hall.

Seriously, I look at the three QBs we have on the roster and wonder how we'll make it through 2009.

Nothing on a commitment yet from ESPN either, and their update on him was from 5/11/2009 - yesterday:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/...cruitId%3d69489

To me, he looks better on film than Riley Dodge did. But, then again, I never considered Riley FBS QB material either. Both are great athletes who would be moved to another position by any other FBS coach in the nation. Scouts, Inc. mentions that as well about Hall.

Seriously, I look at the three QBs we have on the roster and wonder how we'll make it through 2009.

Which makes it even more weird because espn gets most of their info from scouts or vice versa. ESPN doesn't even have UNT as a team of interest.