Russo Granted Transfer

NT80

There really is no spinning necessary here. This kid almost transferred last year, and now has finally done it.

Either these guys (many of whom were from well-to-do families) don't like UNT, they don't like what Dodge has come to represent at UNT, or they couldn't cut it on the field and wanted out. Not sure which one it is, but losing over half of your 1st class of recruits to transfer is not good.

As far as Russo is concerned: he started, at times, last year but was back at 2nd on the depth chart at his position in the spring and looked to possibly drop even further after the JUCOs arrive. Maybe he didn't want to be contributing as primarily depth, instead of starter?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who would have ever thought hiring Todd Dodge at UNT would equate to an SLC pipeline for SMU?

I'm going to try to bite my lip once again and not say anything negative, but I will say that my (realistic) expectations for this program have sunk to a new low these last two years. I've never seen a program lose so many key players....starters....for no apparent reason. It's really hard to (publicly) have school pride these days.

Who would have ever thought hiring Todd Dodge at UNT would equate to an SLC pipeline for SMU?

I'm going to try to bite my lip once again and not say anything negative, but I will say that my (realistic) expectations for this program have sunk to a new low these last two years. I've never seen a program lose so many key players....starters....for no apparent reason. It's really hard to (publicly) have school pride these days.

Well, there's always BBall as a basis for school pride. JJ has done a pretty good job of retention, and I think we're continuing to look very good there. If TD has one more near-term scandal or mass exodus of players, I think the writing will be on the wall for him unless he somehow comes up with a winning season this year. Another one, two, or even three win season and I think he even loses his most diehard supporters. We shall see.

I see players/students transfer from college to college every year.

Tyler Stradford (NT) and Jose Jarboe (Troy) transfered from OU so their

transfers are because of Bob Stoops. These 2 players are unhappy! It is all Bob Stoops fault!

I do not see anyone from NT or Troy complaining about these players.

Say what you want about Tyler, but this "Jose" Jarboe busts some mean rhymes

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB9btJr4uTc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB9btJr4uTc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Charlie nt73 makes some good points. Kids come and go, and we should wish Kyle all the best and thank him for his time at UNT. It is too bad that we have lost some kids in the last couple of years, but it seems to me to be better to be shed of those that do not have their hearts and minds 100% focused on helping UNT get better and win games. Coaches, that some would consider the very best in the nation, lose kids each year for one reason or the other. I do see this as a challenge for Dodge and his staff in recruiting the "right" players with the "right fit" for UNT. Perhaps some of these guys from SLC came to UNT thinking it would be SLC "all over again" and they found out that college football is different and that even Coach Dodge is different on the college level than he was at the HS level. Who knows, but the fact is Kyle Russo is gone. I wish him well. Now, let's focus on the guys who really do want to make UNT into a winning program once again.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!

Pretty amazing. But you know, there will still be about 75 % of people that still say Dodge can right the ship.

Maybe he decided that he may not be good enough to play college football? According to reports we have upgraded the talent on defense. I know this is speculation, but so is everything being discussed on this thread.

The schools he mentioned are known more for their academics than the football programs at this point.

:o

At least no one is trashing this kid like the others have been trashed.

It is safe to say NOW that Dodge that has the entire team. No one believes in him. Not even the kids who played for him in HS. Why? because he is full of crap. He is not about family. He is only worried about himself and his son.

End of story. No offense but I hope Riley gets the crap kicked out of him so Nathan gets to play. Even though Tune was out the door, I would rather see him play than the spoiled Dodge family, who are not as "clean" and true as they make themselves out to be. THey have serious skeletons in the closet.

I am going to assume this has nothing to do with quality of football, but more the culture found at UNT compared to SMU "SouthLake East". The players feel more at home at a private affluent college than a Public Institution with a large mix.

Just my opinion, now flame away.

It is safe to say NOW that Dodge that has the entire team. No one believes in him. Not even the kids who played for him in HS. Why? because he is full of crap. He is not about family. He is only worried about himself and his son.

End of story. No offense but I hope Riley gets the crap kicked out of him so Nathan gets to play. Even though Tune was out the door, I would rather see him play than the spoiled Dodge family, who are not as "clean" and true as they make themselves out to be. THey have serious skeletons in the closet.

Man, you seem to have some serious personal issues here. What's up with the venom? Riley kick sand in your face when you were young and skinny or what? Todd cut you from the squad? How do you come by your comments such as "no one believes in him", "not even the kids who played for him in HS", "he is not about family" and "they have serious skeletons in the closet"? That's pretty tough stuff to be saying while hiding behind an alias here on GMG.com. Seriously, do you really have this kind of dislike for a football coach, his son and it seems his entire family? It just seems so personal.

Sorry you feel this way and I certainly hope you can find a way to let some of this just go. It's not this serious, really, and there are so many other and bigger things to get this worked up about...you can certainly keep any personal opinion you have, fine with me, but can you lay out any real facts here to back up those "hot" comments you posted?

So what! I personally don't really care. Whether this kid plays for us or not has no effect on putting food on my table. Seems to me there are more serious problems going on in the world then whether this kid wants to be a part of the Mean Green or not. Good bye! I just hope we have a football season this year.

Furthermore, Coach Dodge knows what this season means to his football coaching career. I think we will all be proud of the kids that want to play for UNT. They are the ones that matter, not the ones that leave. The ones that leave were never one of us to begin with.

God Bless America. Go Mean Green!

I would rather see Riley kick the crap out of you. Maybe that's just me.

Your first sentence condemns posters for "trashing" others, so what's the next thing you do? Trash the coach and a player. And look at your screen name--you were a total Dodge leghumper at one point. What is your deal?

I am going to assume this has nothing to do with quality of football, but more the culture found at UNT compared to SMU "SouthLake East". The players feel more at home at a private affluent college than a Public Institution with a large mix.

Just my opinion, now flame away.

If the kid had a need to hang with the Biff and Buffy crowd driving Mercedes and BMWs perhaps you are correct. SLC is very much "Highland Park West". It may also have to do with the reality of his place on the depth chart for the upcoming season. I hope that was the reason. Maybe he could get more playing time for the 1-11 Phonies?

From the views of several posters regarding Russo, I would

assume Jared Acton, Chris Brainard, Riley Dodge, and

Nick Leppo, all SLC football players, will be asking for

their transfers too. Heck, MG fans might as well say every

player at NT is unhappy, do not like Coach Dodge, the staff,

the school, the whole program. Maybe all the players will transfer to SMU!

What a crock of crap!

Players change their minds about their future.

Simple as that.

I see players/students transfer from college to college every year.

Tyler Stradford (NT) and Jose Jarboe (Troy) transfered from OU so their

transfers are because of Bob Stoops. These 2 players are unhappy! It is all Bob Stoops fault!

I do not see anyone from NT or Troy complaining about these players.

So a NT player makes a decision about his future. This, of course, is Coach Dodge's fault!

No, not buying this at all! The real reason Russo decided to transfer is covered up.

Insider stuff you know! Secret insider information only!

I do not think Kyle Russo was unhappy. He made a decision regarding his

future, and the way he wants to handle his future, what ever that may be.

Transfer to another school, let him go. If one is not happy with NT or

being a NT athlete, then by all means, find a new home, go and be happy!

If Russo wants to change his career, help Russo to accomplish his goal.

Hate to see Russo transfer, he is a good player, transferring was Russo's decision.

Thank you Kyle for your seasons at NT, enjoyed seeing you play, God Bless you, best wishes

for your success!

Cantley, Gilmore, Akpunku, Cole, Owusu-Hemeng, Juco John

Weber, recruits Tyler Washington, and Ryan Boutwell will be a

great group of DE's, but watch out. They may be unhappy too, because

of Coach Dodge, his staff, DeLoach and Nelson, NT, the MGN, and life at NT.

How the heck did these players chose to come to NT is beyond me!

Wow, this surprised me.

Remember when Vizza transferred and you ripped him for abandoning his team - especially because of the timing when the season ended. Now, here we are, after a full Spring season where reps were taken from players who will be here for next season and you are the voice of justice and truth sticking up for the kid? How can you call one a quitter and not the other? Does this mean you are changing your tune on Vizza? In the grand scheme, is leaving at the end of the season better as far as helping the team move on?

I see only four logical conclusions for the mean green mensa community:

1. Russo's dad is an evil mastermind

2. Russo was never that good anyway and we don't need him

3. Dickey was a bad influence on him

4. June Jones is stalking us in the shadows, ready to pounce on our meaty gentlemen at a moment's notice

Also, I have some inside info I am proud to share: Riley Dodge likes coleslaw - yet hates mayonnaise.

Also, I think The Office is a hit or miss comedy show, but my poster name is still stuck as what seemed like a good idea years ago... just like a bad tattoo. Dodge2007 is going to be a fantastic time capsule for circa-2007 program enthusiasm.

Maybe he could get more playing time for the 1-11 Phonies?

Funny stuff, along with the other post about SMU trying to steal our players. Lets do a quick comparison:

UNT: SMU:

1-11 in SBC 1-11 in CUSA

lost to Tulsa 56(coulda been 80) - 26 lost to Tulsa by 6

lost to Rice 77 - it doesnt matter lost to Rice 56-27

Has HC with HS experience Has head coach with NFL experience

Just like some poeple thinking a certain recent DT signee was stolen from Arkansas when that DT wasn't even in the top six at his position in his Juco conference, this is just more SMU envy, which really is pointless.

But looking at the above comparisons, maybe envy is deserved.

I know it's the off season, but come on

Grow up and show a little class!

Funny stuff, along with the other post about SMU trying to steal our players. Lets do a quick comparison:

UNT: SMU:

1-11 in SBC 1-11 in CUSA

lost to Tulsa 56(coulda been 80) - 26 lost to Tulsa by 6

lost to Rice 77 - it doesnt matter lost to Rice 56-27

Has HC with HS experience Has head coach with NFL experience

Just like some poeple thinking a certain recent DT signee was stolen from Arkansas when that DT wasn't even in the top six at his position in his Juco conference, this is just more SMU envy, which really is pointless.

But looking at the above comparisons, maybe envy is deserved.

I know it's the off season, but come on

I was only half serious about him playing for Smut, and don't really care if he does or not. Kids do transfer for all sorts of reasons. I did and my kids did. It happens. I ended up at NTSU/UNT after starting elsewhere and it was one of the best decisions I made.

Edited by NT80

I don't buy it. Law school admission is largely a matter of LSAT scores and undergraduate work, no matter where you attend. The vast majority of universities doesn't have a law school. That doesn't preclude its graduates from attending law school. Nor is attending one particular school a guarantee of getting into its law school.

I'll just say this, with good grades, having been a college athlete, and having a decent LSAT score will get Russo into most law schools. In my class at Tulsa, we had six former football players (four of them linebackers...go figure), a couple of girls who played soccer, a gal who had been on a rowing squad, a track guy, a baseball player, and two softballers.

Law schools like smart, competitive people. Russo's chances of getting into SMU Law wouldn't have been any less if he'd stayed here. The problem is, you never know what people are telling kid. Sounds like someone got in his ear and convinced him he'd be better off somewhere else. It's just not true. The majors that draw many law students - Business, English, History, and Political Science - are all strong at UNT.

Anyway, good luck to Russo in all of his future endeavors.

TFLF is on target with his comments. I was in guitar class, before I changed majors, with a fellow who went on to get his degree from UNT (I believe with a music major). He then got a law degree from SMU and has gone on to become an immigration lawyer and, at one point, was President of the American Immigration Lawyers' Association. He developed a specialty helping pro athletes needing that kind of legal work, and was in the local media in the last couple of years for pro bono work helping to keep immigrant children from being separated from their parents. A first rate guy, an outstanding lawyer, with an undergraduate degree from North Texas and a law degree from SMU. As far as someone saying that going elsewhere might help if he wanted to go to Harvard, who'd to say a degree from UNT would be a liability? I knew a guy years ago, when I first started out in college at Midwestern State University in Wichita Falls, who graduated from there and went on to Harvard Law. Are we somehow less than Midwestern State? I doubt it.

Here are my thoughts concerning Kyle Russo: After a redshirt freshman year, he got to start at about midway through his second year and played well, especially in the last few games, and enjoyed starting and playing. After the season, some factors began to make it look difficult to get a starting role at defensive end, such as: (1.) The new DL coach deciding to move Tevinn Cantly from tackle to DE, and Cantly being mentioned favorably by said coach in his taped interview, as well as getting more reps during the spring practices and game (2.) Some highly touted high school and JUCO DE's being signed, such as Tyler Washington (3.) More, and more impressive, tackles being signed to LOI's, (4.) allowing an anticipated move of Eddrick Gilmore back to DE.

This is something I had wondered about after we signed so many D linemen in our 2009 class, as well as previous redshirts and other underclassmen being mentioned as looking good: even with a DL rotation, which is a good thing, there will only be so much quality playing time to go around, and some incumbent players will feel that the odds are increasingly against them getting to play, which is what any completitor would want. Someone who has known of Tevinn Cantly longer than I have thinks UNT got a real bargain by signing him; I sure hope he lives up to those praises.

Why the law school story? Dodge and these guys are probably still on friendly terms, but Dodge is in no position to help them become starters or get more playing time; he has to win to keep his job, and defensive linemen are a key aspect of winning football games at any level. Perhaps it makes it sound better to some school considering giving a scholarship to a transfer if it's because of a better perceived academic fit than leaving because of a young man sees himself moving down the depth chart. And really, what difference does it make to UNT Football what reason is given for a player to transfer? He's leaving; let's wish him well and be glad he did it with a good academic record. For those staying, or coming in during fall practice; lets hope and pray they remain healthy, do well academically, and become as good on the field as we suspect they can.

Sick post which deserves no further elaboration.

Guest GrayEagleOne

This post totally violates the spirit of this board. It is one thing to criticize a coach's ability, his record, or his philosophy, but to asassinate his character based on personal opinion is quite another.

Further, to wish that a player gets hurt so that another might play is off the board. This post should be deleted and the poster suspended indefinitely.