Undrafted Free Agent Site (nfl)

SUMG

Bernard Scott. Yeah, the kid went to four colleges: Southeastern Oklahoma, Central Arkansas, Blinn, and ACU. Talented, but troubled, somewhat.

Although, when you start reading about the stuff he got in trouble for, it wasn't that bad. No DUIs or drugs or guns. Got caught using his brother's ID once. Drove to his house to stop when police were trying to pull him over instead of just stopping up the road. Another charge dropped for supposedly stealing someone else's IPOD.

It all sounds like just poor judgement from time to time, not stuff he planned to do in advance. Maybe being at ACU for a couple of years has helped him. There's not much to do in Abilene, and ACU's conduct restrictions are pretty tight.

Although, it's worth noting that both boxer Tex Cobb and "wrestler" Bradshaw played football at ACU in years past, so who knows.

He also hit one of his coaches, in Ark. I think.

He also hit one of his coaches, in Ark. I think.

Looked him up on the Bengals website. He says there was a shoving match during a heated practice that ended up in a pile. This was in high school. He was suspended for his senior year.

Also googled and found out that he's been working out with former Dallas Cowboy Randy White and some martial arts guy locally. My guess is Randy White put in a good word for him to scouts around the league.

Bernard Scott. Yeah, the kid went to four colleges: Southeastern Oklahoma, Central Arkansas, Blinn, and ACU. Talented, but troubled, somewhat.

Although, when you start reading about the stuff he got in trouble for, it wasn't that bad. No DUIs or drugs or guns. Got caught using his brother's ID once. Drove to his house to stop when police were trying to pull him over instead of just stopping up the road. Another charge dropped for supposedly stealing someone else's IPOD.

It all sounds like just poor judgement from time to time, not stuff he planned to do in advance. Maybe being at ACU for a couple of years has helped him. There's not much to do in Abilene, and ACU's conduct restrictions are pretty tight.

Although, it's worth noting that both boxer Tex Cobb and "wrestler" Bradshaw played football at ACU in years past, so who knows.

The former Cowboy Clint Longley was also from ACU, as was Wilbert and Cleo Montgomery and Johnny Perkins (from Granbury).

Guest GrayEagleOne

Although I think that Fitz was unfairly ranked #74 by the NFL scouts, there are 28 who have signed and were either ranked higher than Fitzgerald or not ranked at all. Casey was penalized severely because he only ran a 4.65 at the combine.

How is it that he was "penalized" if other ran faster than him? I'm betting every cornerback in the NFL and almost all safeties run faster than 4.65. So, by not drafting or signing slower receivers, aren't the NFL teams just trying to stay competitive? It's one thing to love the players at your school, it's a completely different thing to understand whether or not they are currently NFL material.

Here, again, is why I posted two or three years ago that we needed a new strength and conditioning coordinator. Those guys shouldn't just be having guys trying to increases their bench press and squat numbers. Anyone can do that. It's the conditioning, agility, and speed work that differentiates the great S&C coaches from the run-of-the-mill types who just get the guys bigger and stronger. Speed, agility, and conditioning are more important at many positions, namely receiver.

I wasn't convinced that our S&C coach would have the team conditioned for the type of offense that Dodge has - i.e., the type that puts the defense back out on the field very quickly whether it's working well or not. They finally seem to have addressed this by hiring a football intensive S&C coach to help our original guy.

But, the question remains - will the new guy help with anything other than strength. Let's hope not. As you can see, it matters not just on gameday, but in overall picture of NFL readiness for our players.

From Gil Brandt's report:

North Texas

WR Casey Fitzgerald

5-9 5/8, 188 pounds

40 in a wind-aided 4.65 seconds, with a 4.74 time against the wind.

7.06 second cone drill.

Northeast Oklahoma

WR Jarrett Byers

5-10 1/2, 191 pounds

40 in a wind-aided 4.42 seconds, and a 4.47 against the wind

6.80 second cone drill

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch