Dr. B

BleedGreen64

Very good interview, indeed. I think we can all be proud of the way Dr. B presents herslf in settings such as this. Sure helps move UNT forward the way she presents UNT to the public. Well done. Interesting comments about the Native American literature work she has done. Just wondering here...does Dr. B consider herslf to be of Native American descent? I may have this wrong, but when I was at Okie State the "requirement" was 25% to be considered Native American and thus qualify for aid. I think you had to be at least 25% and be able to prove it to be placed on the tribal roles...something like that.

Anyone know for certain regarding Dr. B? I have not heard, as I can recall, her speak directly to this. Like I say, may have missed it...

Since my husband is 1/4 Choctaw, I was also interested to know if Dr. B had any Native American heritage. I talked to her at an alumni event and asked about her interest in N.A. lit. She said it was an area that had received little research and decided to do her dissertation in that area since she didn't want to write about "a dead white man."

As to tribal membership, my daughter is 1/8 Choctaw and is a card carrying tribal member. You must have an ancestor that was given a "roll number" to be a member and receive tribal benefits. I have N.A. heritage from both sides of my family, but my Cherokee ancestors stayed hidden in the mountains of Tennessee and were never put on the rolls in Oklahoma.

GMG!

Many of you know her better than I, but I can tell you this is one strong, guided and focused lady that can literally do anything she puts her mind to. She is demanding and honest in her requests and expectations. You had better understand your position, your job and your goals if you stay in the room with her very long. She will respect you as an individual and request nothing but honesty and integrity in return. I got a bit upset when folks took shots at her for her salary and compensation agreements with the university. Dallas Green mentioned it took almost 2 years (and a nice dinner) before she joined the Alumni Association. It did but frankly, in her mind, we hadn't earned her membership. What a pleasure to have her as a card carrying member of our UNT Alumni Association now. Frankly, we'd better pay her double to keep her here for a long time. Even though Jitter Nolan was a friend of mine I can look back and with retrospect compare the two......OMG! And she gets athletics. She gets it all. She is a friend to have in your camp.

Go Mean Green!