Two Sport Athletes At Nt

Keith7

A few that come to mind. Adrian Awasum in addition to being a great football player also played on the basketball team and is one of the top discus throwers in NT history although like Stickler did not compete much. Mike Guon years ago was on a track ship but ending up starting for the basketball team. Don McGree was a sprinter on the track team. Brian Lucas the 6' 7" quarterback who imo never got a chance with DD, ending up being one of the best Trilli era basketball players. Deterion Woodson a good cornerback was an even better sprinter running a 10.2 100 meters and getting to the NCAA's finals.

Edited by GrandGreen

Zeke Martin - Football quarterback 1947-50, also played on the tennis and basketball teams. Played pro ball in Canada and later was the mayor of Denton.

Carl "Spider" Lockhart - RB & DB in football, also earned letters in track and baseball. Played 12 years in the NFL and named to Pro Bowl twice as free safety.

Ron Shanklin was a sprinter on the track team who got permission from "Pop" Noah to play football. I would say that worked pretty well since he and Steve Ramsey held the NCAA pass/catch duo record for many years.

Did not know that, I did know his twin brother who played for Kansas was supposed the better football player; but Ronnie disproved that.

Would you say he "found success" in basketball...or that he played on the team?

I would say "found success" means different things to different folks.

Blount won some titles while in pads, and got some PT on the court. That seems pretty damn good to me.

I don't know how Blount felt about his bbal time.