I'm On A Mission For The First Tailgate Next Year

oldguystudent

I thought Pink's was pretty good. I did NOT like waiting an hour for a damn hot dog. But it was tasty. I something similar to what you described above.

You just have to be there at the right time. We arrived about 11:15AM and had a 20-25 min. wait...not so bad. I tried three different dogs...shared with my wife and son, but each were very good and really messy!!!! BTW, the is no such thing as a "damn hot dog". They are sort of like women...all are good, some are just better than others! And, with that I am sure to catch a bit of flak on the homefront this evening! :lol::flowers:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait. So when you're teaching a kid to play pool, does that mean you can tell him to handle his cue like he would his hot dog?

Gee, I have never taught a kid to play pool, so what could you mean???? :lol: And, by the way...do not blaspheme hot dogs! :no: The food of the gods the hot dog is..... <_<

Bstnsportsfan should recognize this oddity of the hot dog world:

1317717069_6853036176.jpg?v=0

I wasn't quite sure what to make of this thing when I ordered it. What the hell do Bostonians have against the hot dog bun?

sausage2.gif

Next time your in Boston, f the hot dog and go for the sausage. The Portugese roll is much better than a generic hot dog bun, then throw in the sauteed peppers and onions, maybe some spicy mustard and you're golden

Here's a brainstorming idea I had while wandering away from my studies for my impending stats test this afternoon.

Given the passion that people share for hot dogs on this board, I see potential for a charitable event at a tailgate. The first annual Mean Green hot dog cook-off. Take entry fees, donate some percentage to the charity of our choosing, and pay the rest out as prize money. If not cash for prizes, I'm sure we could come up with something.

Then we get to kill two birds with one stone. We get to protest the nanny state in which we live and then get to put our money where our mouths are by actually contributing to causes of our choosing rather than the government's.

If you think my idea sucks, that's ok too. I'm just trying to escape the means and deviations for the moment!

I'm excluding sausages from this discussion. Totally different class of gastronomical experience IMO.

So then the cook-off is literally to see who fixes the best hot dog...with no sausage consideration? That seems like a boiling vs. grilling and a fixin's contest...any dude with a "Kiss the Cook" apron could blindly stumble into something edible if this is the case.

Though, I suppose it is probably for the best...I can't imagine what a toll it would take on some of you if a queer-defending, Muslim-lovin Yankee hippie came down and just embarassed you in a grill-off.

So then the cook-off is literally to see who fixes the best hot dog...with no sausage consideration? That seems like a boiling vs. grilling and a fixin's contest...any dude with a "Kiss the Cook" apron could blindly stumble into something edible if this is the case.

Though, I suppose it is probably for the best...I can't imagine what a toll it would take on some of you if a queer-defending, Muslim-lovin Yankee hippie came down and just embarassed you in a grill-off.

But see, limiting it to hot dogs is more like an iron chef thing. Here's a common bland ingredient. What can you do with it?

You bring sausages into the mix, and somebody's gonna' float some kickback down to the guys at Syracuse and get some special steroids enhanced ingredient shoved in a casing. Not a level playing field at all.

But see, limiting it to hot dogs is more like an iron chef thing. Here's a common bland ingredient. What can you do with it?

You bring sausages into the mix, and somebody's gonna' float some kickback down to the guys at Syracuse and get some special steroids enhanced ingredient shoved in a casing. Not a level playing field at all.

So essentially we're talking a preparation and condiments contest. I'm game, provided I'm in town...still I say a sausage contest (there are times I don't mind a lack of Quoner) would be both more challanging and considerably more gastronomically reqarding.

So essentially we're talking a preparation and condiments contest. I'm game, provided I'm in town...still I say a sausage contest (there are times I don't mind a lack of Quoner) would be both more challanging and considerably more gastronomically reqarding.

I am open to suggestions, but I still think keeping it to hot dogs is the way to go. Look at the arguments going back and forth on the humble tube steak already on this thread. Sausage may be more gastronomically rewarding, but I think there are just too many varieties. Can you compare a blood sausage to chorizo? We make this a competition, and I'll experiment all summer long with different brands of hot dogs (some mail ordered in) with different cooking techniques and toppings (although I'm sticking with the original bacon dog idea regardless). Besides, who wants to claim that they were part of the first annual Mean Green sausage fest?

Edit -- Oh dear God. I just gave myself the idea of a bacon dog cooked in chorizo fat. I'm shaking at the very idea of it.

Edited by oldguystudent

Here's a brainstorming idea I had while wandering away from my studies for my impending stats test this afternoon.

Given the passion that people share for hot dogs on this board, I see potential for a charitable event at a tailgate. The first annual Mean Green hot dog cook-off. Take entry fees, donate some percentage to the charity of our choice....

UNT Scholarships perhaps???? Sounds like a good idea...PM me if you want to really talk about getting this going for a game in the fall.

You could do multiple culinary divisions, just like barbeque cookoffs have competition in brisket, ribs, pork, and chicken. You might draw more competitors that way, and make them each pay an entry fee that goes to a scholarship fund.

A suggestion for two divisions:

1. Ball Park Division - only for hot dogs on hot dog buns. Any means of preparation and condiments.

2. Open Division - any kind of dog or sausage on any kind of bun.

You might even be able to get some sort of sponsorships from local beer, bun, and dog companies, with money going to the scholarship fund. Get some local culinary types as judges - chefs, food critics, etc.

Based upon your description of yourself:

a queer-defending, Muslim-lovin Yankee hippie

I don't think you'll be let across state lines. :lol:

BTW, regarding the hot dog... If you are over the age of 12 then ketchup has absolutely NO BUSINESS on your wiener. NONE.

I mean, chocolate milk was fine when you were kid but eventually you have to grow up act like an adult. The same rule applies to ketchup on a hot dog.

Edited by UNTflyer

BTW, regarding the hot dog... If you are over the age of 12 then ketchup has absolutely NO BUSINESS on your wiener. NONE.

I mean, chocolate milk was fine when you were kid but eventually you have to grow up act like an adult. The same rule applies to ketchup on a hot dog.

Sorry, I still use ketchup on mine simply because I dislike most mustards.

You just have to be there at the right time. We arrived about 11:15AM and had a 20-25 min. wait...not so bad. I tried three different dogs...shared with my wife and son, but each were very good and really messy!!!! BTW, the is no such thing as a "damn hot dog". They are sort of like women...all are good, some are just better than others! And, with that I am sure to catch a bit of flak on the homefront this evening! :lol::flowers:

It would have to be a pretty good hotdog for me to wait more than about 2 minutes for one.

I totally agree with you on that. I grew up where people put ketchup on just about everything.....but not hot dogs.