I'm On A Mission For The First Tailgate Next Year

oldguystudent

One of my absolute favorite street foods is now illegal in Los Angeles as it has been deemed a "potentially hazardous food."

hqgYNDGB6ds

Anyone who cares to join me next September for some bacony death on a bun in the parking lot, I'm now on a five-month mission to figure out how to make these things and how to build a rig to cook them. It's my own government protest. Now it's personal!!!

Edited by oldguystudent

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my absolute favorite street foods is now illegal in Los Angeles as it has been deemed a "potentially hazardous food."

hqgYNDGB6ds

Anyone who cares to join me next September for some bacony death on a bun in the parking lot, I'm now on a five-month mission to figure out how to make these things and how to build a rig to cook them. It's my own government protest. Now it's personal!!!

A quest worth undertaking. God bless you, sir.

hqgYNDGB6ds

I'm down for it; I love those things. How can I help?

If I had known about this, I would seriously have contributed to the legal fees of the woman who served 45 days in jail for selling God's late night snack. Los Angeles should change its name to Los Diablos.

"Excuse me sir, would you mind putting out your hot dog? I'm getting your second hand cholesterol."

And if you are determined to continue in this quest, this web-site should come in handy.

http://www.aedsuperstore.com/?engine=adwor...amp;match_type=

I'm down for it; I love those things. How can I help?

I'm trying to remember exactly what goes on them. I remember mayo, mustard, hot sauce, grilled onions, raw onions, and the grilled jalapenos. As for a cooking rig, I think I might try the two burner camp stove with a baking sheet wrapped in foil atop both burners. I'll be experimenting quite a bit over the next couple months on this. I also think the hot dogs were different from your standard ball park franks. There are a couple Mexican markets in Lewisville I think I'll stop in and see what they have.

I'm trying to remember exactly what goes on them. I remember mayo, mustard, hot sauce, grilled onions, raw onions, and the grilled jalapenos. As for a cooking rig, I think I might try the two burner camp stove with a baking sheet wrapped in foil atop both burners. I'll be experimenting quite a bit over the next couple months on this. I also think the hot dogs were different from your standard ball park franks. There are a couple Mexican markets in Lewisville I think I'll stop in and see what they have.

We now have a "German Deli" on the way to Denton from here; if they're still in business by then, I'll bring some of the best dogs they have to offer.

Edited by eulessismore

As long as you are working on death-by-bacon recipes, you could give this one a try too.

http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/recipes/bacon-explosion/

I've done something like that before, but it also had cheese, eggs, and some vegetables in it. We named it the behemoth. My intent wasn't so much to focus on the bacon itself, but while we're at it, if one wants to beat the executioner, I'd suggest one of these as a last meal topped off with one of these.

It looks like it is illegal to prepare the bacon dogs without certain equipment. They mentioned a new trailer where vendors could sell bacon dogs from and not get into trouble.

Still, sounds yummy.

It looks like it is illegal to prepare the bacon dogs without certain equipment. They mentioned a new trailer where vendors could sell bacon dogs from and not get into trouble.

Still, sounds yummy.

Yeah, in my old neighborhood, we had guys with an ice chest full of dogs and a butane burner on a card table. Something tells me those guys are still there regardless of what the city has to say about it. A lot of law enforcement in LA has to do with what neighborhood you live in. Since I lived in one of the tougher areas (On a scale of 1 being Beverly Hills and 10 being Watts/Compton, I'd rate my neighborhood a 7), little stuff like selling pirated DVDs on the sidewalk or hawing food of questionable quality on the street corner without a permit was pretty much overlooked by the cops. Those bullets whizzing by my living room window were of greater concern.

Danger dog is the slang term for a type of hot dog first sold by street vendors in Tijuana, Mexico and is also known as a "Tijuana bacon dog" or a "dog dog." A danger dog is a hot dog wrapped in a piece of bacon, fried in oil and served on a bun with grilled onions and chili sauce.

The term "danger dog" originates from this form of hot dog's reputation as being of cheap quality (or presumed low quality, as it is usually sold by unlicensed street vendors). The danger dog has recently turned up north of the border and is now being sold by Los Angeles, San Francisco, and New York City street vendors.

On the east coast of the United States, a variation has appeared with the bacon-wrapped hot dog being deep-fried and called a "Jersey breakfast dog"[1]. There is a tradition in New Jersey of serving hot dogs that have been deep-fried in boiling oil until they rip apart ("rippers") or just blister lightly (an "in and outer"). The Jersey dog is usually served atop fried or scrambled eggs.

Now, this is an issue I can get really fired up about. It is a joke in my family how much I like hot dogs. I seek out...I mean it...hot dog spots in every place I visit...anywhere in the world. Copenhagen has good dogs and lots of sterrt carts...the Danes actually love their hot dogs...I made my wife walk over 10 miles one day in Manhatten just to go to the ORIGINAL Papaya King's hot dog location, I made my wife son, and his friend go with me to Pink's Hot Dogs in LA after an Arena League Football game in LA one time and I made my family and my kid's Mother-In-Law go with me to Ben's Chili Bowl in Washington DC immediately after my sone and daughter-in-laws graduation from medical school. Yes, I love my hot dogs.....the should overturn this stupid ordinace NOW!!!! Free the Bacon-Dog...let's protest...that's something conservatives and liberals should be able to agree on...THE BACON DOG!!!!! GOOD GOD! Thwe world is about to stop turning on its axis!

Now, this is something worth fighting for!!!! A Tailgate protest against LA and the banning of the Bacon Dog!!!!! Let's DO IT!

Kram,

If you get up to Chicago, you must go to Hot Doug's. The guy literally fought city hall and won...to overturn the ban on foie gras so he could serve it on his hot dogs. He serves fries cooked in duck fat. He's such a champion of freedom, that he shut his store down for four days this month in protest of the 20th anniversary of the seat belt law in Italy. The guy is freakin' nuts I tell ya'. But damn if he doesn't serve some fine dogs.

Hot Doug's

Hell, if we mailed the guy, I bet he'd sponsor our event!

For another anti-intrusive government hot dog proprietor, check out Top Dog in Berkeley (and now surrounding areas). You get amazing natural casing dogs and a dosage of Libertarian politics for one low price!

Top Dog

And finally, you made a mistake in going to Pink's. I know it. You know it. Come to terms with it and admit it.

Street Vendors kick Pink's ass. But if you don't trust those carts....I suggest Scooby's. Not only are the Dog's excellent, but the french fries are the best in all of LA(not to mention the lemonade is real good too)!

Edited by CMJ

Went to the Dodger game last night and was hungry after the 3:20 game and fireworks! Dig dodgertown!

Anyway illegally parked at the 7-eleven and headed the club where that bacon dog is always found and known to hit the spot. gone! was there the night before and hungry after the club - gone. Now the conspiracy is out. certainly they can set up in MacArthur park or something and get protected by the gangs i watch on gangland. Leave a little extra tip, cops stay away - drive in fast, leave faster! They are that worth it:)

GMG

Went to the Dodger game last night and was hungry after the 3:20 game and fireworks! Dig dodgertown!

Anyway illegally parked at the 7-eleven and headed the club where that bacon dog is always found and known to hit the spot. gone! was there the night before and hungry after the club - gone. Now the conspiracy is out. certainly they can set up in MacArthur park or something and get protected by the gangs i watch on gangland. Leave a little extra tip, cops stay away - drive in fast, leave faster! They are that worth it:)

GMG

You're in LA now too? Awesome dude!

And finally, you made a mistake in going to Pink's. I know it. You know it. Come to terms with it and admit it.

OldGuy...thanks for the Chicago info. As far as Top Dog goes, yes, I know about that one too, but just remembered they were headquartered in Berkeley, CA. Not too much good comes out of Berkeley. Besides, I only had one shot with the wife along to grab a Dog and Pink's has been around much much longer than the "new kid on the block" Top Dog. Heck, I'm older than Top Dog! :lol:

Hey, I think I'll order some of the Bison franks....thanks for the tip gangrene!

Love those Dogs...Hey, Ben's Chili Bowl in DC is another good place for Dogs if you ever get to the DC area!

Pink's has been around much much longer than the "new kid on the block" Top Dog.

I was just listing Top Dog as information. You can't compare them to Pink's as they are several hundred miles apart. I just intended to point out that I, and many other Los Angeles residents are of the opinion that Pink's is way over rated. I used to like Tail o the Pup, but I think they're gone now. If you want really good quality stuff in LA next time, try Jody Maroni's Sausage Kingdom. They even have a location the in LA airport. Otherwise, hunt down one of the street vendors. If you're on a death wish, then I recommend this bad boy from Oki's Dog:

2186416866_e17d849be2.jpg?v=0

The most famous Oki creation is the eponymous Oki Dog, a couple of hots dogs wrapped in a tortilla with chili, pickles, mustard, a slice of fried pastrami, and a torrent of goopy American cheese. a cross-cultural burrito that's pretty hard to stomach unless you've got the tum of a six-year-old. (Review courtesy of Johnathan Gold's Counter Intelligence)

OldGuy...absolutely will try Jodi Maroni's on my next visit to LA...whenever that might be, but love my Dogs, so keep the suggestions coming. My bride will be so very glad I have "new" dog places to try at every stop. :lol:

I am sure I will get a load of grief from "some" on this board for this comment, but I would rather have a great Hot Dog than a T-Bone Staek! Yes, I know how that sounds, but I love the great hot dogs of this great nation of ours! All this talk of good dogs is making me really really hungry.

Anyone here ever heard of the "Splitter" Dog? I think it comes from the Chicago area and it is a dog "fried" until it splits open and then is loaded with all the "goodies"...man, can't get too much better than that.

And, just so you will know...no blood pressue pills or cholosteral (is that how you spell it?) trouble for this boy (YET!), so bring on those dogs!!!! :lol:

BTW, I think Jimmy at Sweetwater in denton ought to add a hot dog to his menu!!!! I think I'll mention that ... they do have a fried balogna sandwhich that is pretty darn good. Close to a dog, but no cigar!