Just A Question

emmitt01

********Let me say up front, I am not...repeat NOT....trying to be negative. I don't want anyone to think I don't have the utmost faith in our athletic department*********

What happens if the legislature votes against the student fee? These are times when tuition is being closely looked at, and let's not forget that NT doesn't exactly carry the same "give 'em anything they want" cache that UT or aTm do.

So, what do we do then? Are we anywhere close to having enough money in hand (not pledged, in hand) to go forward or are we dead in the water?

This has been on my mind too. Not trying to be a negative nellie, but this is the "defining moment" in UNT's football history. We don't have near enough money to go it alone. If the legislature nixes this bill, football and support for UNT will never be the same. Just my opinion.

Edited by DeepGreen

If the athletics bill does not pass, then there better be many high ranking officials out on their ass!!!

Dr. Bataille, Lee Jackson, RV, and others for not getting with their appropirate representatives and pushing this. That it even has to go before the legislature is a crock in my mind since the students voted for it in the first place. this was not some asinine plan drawn up by some bureaucrat for favors.

Also if it does not pass everyone of the reps/senators need to be bombarded with letters/e-mails by alums and students alike who will be witnessing the demise of their athletics program.

Ok I might be overzealous but this vote is very important and that it is still sitting in committee 3 months later is sad.

If if doesn't pass it is because too many in Austin fear what UNT came become being the only large public university in all of North Texas. It will be blamed on the poor economy which will provide the perfect cover.

If this happens then we better storm Austin. Gov. Perry didn't seemed bothered giving tam 40,000,000 million dollars of tax payers money that was allocated for other projects.

They all know that UNT is a threat to every other institution in Texas except tam and texas. Think about it. We are a very large public university in a meto area projected to double in size by 2030. We are at 7.000,000 now. Building that stadium changes more than just the landscape of Eagle Point.

If if doesn't pass it is because too many in Austin fear what UNT came become being the only large public university in all of North Texas. It will be blamed on the poor economy which will provide the perfect cover.

If this happens then we better storm Austin. Gov. Perry didn't seemed bothered giving tam 40,000,000 million dollars of tax payers money that was allocated for other projects.

They all know that UNT is a threat to every other institution in Texas except tam and texas. Think about it. We are a very large public university in a meto area projected to double in size by 2030. We are at 7.000,000 now. Building that stadium changes more than just the landscape of Eagle Point.

I think I see your point, but I have to respectfully disagree. A strong University of North Texas is not a threat to other colleges and universities in the state. As you put it, we are the only large public university in all of North Texas. We have a niche to fill, and the better we fill that niche, the better it is for Texas. I believe most state legislators can appreciate that. As far as whether a new stadium helps us better fill that niche, some might need convincing, which is why I hope we have people in Austin putting a bug in their ear.

And regarding the original question, I have a hard time picturing legislators overriding the will of the students on this one. But if it were to happen, hypothetically speaking, I believe we would be heading back to 1-AA and the Southland.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I think I see your point, but I have to respectfully disagree. A strong University of North Texas is not a threat to other colleges and universities in the state. As you put it, we are the only large public university in all of North Texas.

Of course a strong public university in North Texas is a threat to the other Texas institutions. Not only will the new stadium make us more attractive to other conferences it also makes us more attractive to the plethora of top recruits in the metroplex. Why do you think so many far away schools are drooling all over themselves at the chance to play at Jerry's World in Arlington?

Edited by meangreenbob

Of course a strong public university in North Texas is a threat to the other Texas institutions. Not only will the new stadium make us more attractive to other conferences it also makes us more attractive to the plethora of top recruits in the metroplex. Why do you think so many far away schools are drulling all over themselves at the chance to play at Jerry's World in Arlington?

You're looking at it as a football fanatic on a message board. Legislators are not (for the most part) asking, "Okay, will this steal away recruits from other Texas schools?" They are looking at a much bigger picture. If Highland Park builds a new privately-funded stadium, it is not going to make Plano I.S.D. fall apart. Just as legislators want strong public high schools throughout the state of Texas, strong public universities throughout the state are an asset to the state as a whole.

Of course a strong public university in North Texas is a threat to the other Texas institutions. Not only will the new stadium make us more attractive to other conferences it also makes us more attractive to the plethora of top recruits in the metroplex. Why do you think so many far away schools are drulling all over themselves at the chance to play at Jerry's World in Arlington?

Don't think the legislature is all that concerned with our being a threat to the land grant schools on the ol' gridiron, bob. In fact, if they do, well, get a rope...

as for Jerry's World, bob, you're right on. I'm drulling right now. I'm drulling all over my desk, real hard. Intense drulling.

The one thing about the bill that provides me a degree of comfort that it will pass, is the fact that virtually every other public university in the state has a dedicated athletics fee in place already, and in fact many if not most of them charge more than our NEW fee will.

How can the legislature justify denying NT when others have had their athletic fees approved (if not by the legislature than by some other system board/legitimate means)? They're certainly not going to roll back the athletic fees at Tech or UH or TSU-SM due to the economic environment or because of the rising cost of tuition! To deny it would be abject, selective discrimination against NT born of fear/politics. How could a legislative representative prove otherwise in defense of a NO vote?

It'll probably pass.