The "o" Was Just Okay Not Great .

saysojoe

First I'm sunburned on the top of my head. IT was a nice day for football and I'm glad I went..... good crowd.

The O did not impress me much today. Ive been to several practices this spring and have seen much better.

Real disappointed in the QB rotation. I was really looking forward to seeing Chase Baine play today. He has really improved in practices and Coach Dodge even said it on the Radio broadcast today. I think the kid needs more 2nd team rotation to get in a rhythm to show what he can do. The group I was sitting with were really started to rumble about the rotation. Tune and Dodge had plenty of chances to show us their stuff. Both looked just Okay to me. Playing with a 3rd team extremely slow line doesn't give anyone a chance at QB. Enough about that rant!!!! Hell I'm From Lake Dallas so I'm pulling for the local kid to make it . George on the radio 2nd me today on that.

Why is 94 not on the field on every Defensive Play .......He is an ANIMAL !!!!!!

See ya Sept 12th !!!!!!

I expected to see the ball thrown downfield more, especially with Riley's unit. Riley did show more speed than the others when he kept the ball, but no suprise there. One of my groupies reminded me that the offense has not looked good in past spring games when Deloach is calling the defense because he has them going all out.

Physically, the players looked stronger, so it appears the hiring of the dedicated strenght coach is paying off.

I expected to see the ball thrown downfield more, especially with Riley's unit. Riley did show more speed than the others when he kept the ball, but no suprise there. One of my groupies reminded me that the offense has not looked good in past spring games when Deloach is calling the defense because he has them going all out.

Physically, the players looked stronger, so it appears the hiring of the dedicated strenght coach is paying off.

I didn't really notice the strength so much, but thought as a team they looked move athletic.

is it justme or does the 2nd team O just look bad. RODGE looks ok and in a real game situation i think his running will make a difference. if this is a real "need a running QB" offense the 2nd team does not have it. I agree with SAYSo, 3rd team Qb looks like he can scat pretty good and throws well too but he got no chance with that line. i would think with no REAL proven QB that they would rotate all three with all three teams for a little more even time to "show" with a little slant towards RODGE then Tune then Baine. and if Tune is the Guy it needs to be more of a traditional offense QB throws and RB runs it.

is it justme or does the 2nd team O just look bad. RODGE looks ok and in a real game situation i think his running will make a difference.

I disagree. Yes he is fast but I DON'T WANT MY FRANCHISE QB RUNNING LIKE THAT IN GAMES. He will get his had taken off with some of those runs up the middle. I happen to agree with Fake Lonnie, this guy is not D1 size, period and would get beaten up. I do however think he has great quickness but I only want him using that to avoid the sacks, a-la Tony Romo style. I liked seeing some of his short pass accuracy but boy - I sure do tire of the 2 yard quick screens.

I still didn't see the 10-15 yard medium range passes.. where are they? Did I miss them during this game? Do they exist?

I still didn't see the 10-15 yard medium range passes.. where are they? Did I miss them during this game? Do they exist?

Saw plenty of 10-15 yard passes from both Riley and Tune....what we didn't see was a single completed pass of 20 yards or more. Still not sure what happened to those plays since Dodge's first year here.

Also, what was the story with Lance Dunbar? I saw him suited up, but he never went into the game.

Saw plenty of 10-15 yard passes from both Riley and Tune....what we didn't see was a single completed pass of 20 yards or more. Still not sure what happened to those plays since Dodge's first year here.

Also, what was the story with Lance Dunbar? I saw him suited up, but he never went into the game.

Ok well maybe I need to pay more attention then. :lol:

What I liked the most from saturday was that we didn't see the ball going up and down the field all game long like the two previous spring games. That is a good sign to me. Think back to '01-'04 and the spring games. It seemed like we were always dissapointed that there wasn't much offense. The truth was, those offenses were going up against some pretty good defenses, who by and large were responsible for the 4 championships. I hope this past saturday was a good sign that our defense will finally be able to stop someone this fall.

Rick

What I liked the most from saturday was that we didn't see the ball going up and down the field all game long like the two previous spring games. That is a good sign to me. Think back to '01-'04 and the spring games. It seemed like we were always dissapointed that there wasn't much offense. The truth was, those offenses were going up against some pretty good defenses, who by and large were responsible for the 4 championships. I hope this past saturday was a good sign that our defense will finally be able to stop someone this fall.

Rick

I think you're right, and that my "friend of a friend of the family", Tevinn Cantly, will have a lot to do with it.

Riley rarely threw much past the line of scrimmage. He only averaged a little over 4.5 yards per pass completion (19-24 for 94 yards). A couple completions actually lost yardage, and most positive yardage was (YAC) yards after the catch. They will have to keep the DBs honest and throw longer otherwise they will crowd the receivers at the line the whole game. "Pass the ball....longer!" :whip:

I am with you Rick regarding the defense.

Even though the game was a controlled scrimage, I could

see the defense was after the offense. I saw alot of strong

defensive hitting with an aggressive attitude.

It was clear to me, that DE Tevinn Cantley will be a huge

addition to the defense! Cantley will just keep getting

better, and he will cause opponents OC's a major

problem on how to contain him. Cantley will be here

on the defense the next 4 years!

My 3 points about the defense. First, the Defensive

coaches now have more players at each defensive position,

that can rotate in and out, which will allow the players to

catch a breather, and still keep the defensive team sharp. Second,

the defensive staff will be able to involve more players, and create

defensive game plans that will feature more defensive options. Third,

I do like how the defensive coaches are molding the players and

the defensive team together. I could see the '09 defense will be

far ahead of the '07 and '08 defensive teams, and '09 defense

will continue to improve. Yes, I liked what I saw on Saturday.

Edited by charlie nt73