Nt Linebackers

Looks like the LB corp will have a mix of veterans and a couple of

new LB's making the scene.

Projected starters-

# 44 Tobie Nwigwe, 6-1, 250, Sr, will handle the middle again. (is Tobie a 2 yr letterman?)

# 42 Craig Roberson, 6-0, 226, Jr, will be the weak side LB. (is Roberson a 3yr letterman now?)

# 45 Jeremy Phillips, 6-3, 200, Fr, has worked his way into the starting LB position? the reports

I have read seem to indicate Phillips is now a starting LB. Former safety now a LB. R/S in 08.

Other LB veterans- they will play in 09.

#16 Steve Warren, 6-1, 227, Sr, another former safety that became a LB. Steve Warren has

always been a very good player at Safety, Special Teams, and LB. 3 yr letterman. Warren is

on the field when a critical game situation arrises. I think Warren blitzed the WKU QB creating

the big INT TD return by Nwigwe. I think Warren plays a bigger defensive role in 09.

# 31 A.J. Penson, 6-1, 213, Jr, 2 yr letterman. Played alot in 08, and started some games.

# 54 Robbie Deheck, 6-2, 220, So, former W/O? Played S/T's last year. Has moved up the

LB depth chart. Deheck is becoming a good LB.

# 36 Marquise Davis, 6-1, 232, So, R/S in 07, I believe Davis did play in 08.

Did I miss any other LB's? Are there any LB's that were on R/S in 08?

NT signed a big time LB with the 09 class, Daniel Prior, 6-2, 210 from Henderson TX.

Prior may be a R/S candidate for 09, but, Prior sure has good HS credentials.

Recruiting LB's for the 2010 class may be a priority.

Projected starters-

# 44 Tobie Nwigwe, 6-1, 250, Sr, will handle the middle again. (is Tobie a 2 yr letterman?)

# 42 Craig Roberson, 6-0, 226, Jr, will be the weak side LB. (is Roberson a 3yr letterman now?)

# 45 Jeremy Phillips, 6-3, 200, Fr, has worked his way into the starting LB position? the reports

I have read seem to indicate Phillips is now a starting LB. Former safety now a LB. R/S in 08.

#16 Steve Warren, 6-1, 227, Sr, another former safety that became a LB. Steve Warren has

always been a very good player at Safety, Special Teams, and LB. 3 yr letterman. Warren is

on the field when a critical game situation arrises. I think Warren blitzed the WKU QB creating

the big INT TD return by Nwigwe. I think Warren plays a bigger defensive role in 09.

# 31 A.J. Penson, 6-1, 213, Jr, 2 yr letterman. Played alot in 08, and started some games.

# 54 Robbie Deheck, 6-2, 220, So, former W/O? Played S/T's last year. Has moved up the

NT signed a big time LB with the 09 class, Daniel Prior, 6-2, 210 from Henderson TX.

In addition to being a former safety, Phillips is also a former QB, which gives him an edge when reading offenses. He is a former MVP for District 18-4A and was ranked as one of the top-6 Houston area "athletes" by the Houston Chronicle. His dad is a coach by the way. Phillips has all the makings of a SERIOUSLY GOOD LB. Let's hope he fulfills his potential and more.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Linebacker has several talented players but the position's not very deep. Nwigwe and Robertson should be some degree of all-conference. Penson seemed to get better as the season wore on last year, has a ton of potential, but still has a lot of improving to do. He may have lost his starting Sam position to Phillips, who should be a great player.

The loser of the Phillips/Penson battle and Steve Warren will be 2/3 of the second team. But, the depth seems to stop there. Davis, who had all sorts of accolades and honors from high school, has seemingly disappeared. I'm not sure that Deheck has played much, if any, linebacker but he did show up well on special teams last year. Unless Davis comes out of his funk, I don't see him or Deheck getting much playing time. I thought that the other spot would go to Akpunku but they are now working him at DE.

If AK-47 stays at DE then I believe that Prior goes right to the second unit. The other signee, Tyler Washington could also see some action at linebacker and special teams. In my opinion both need to play because Nwigwe and Warren are seniors.

A player immediately kicks ass and WARRENts more PT when their parents go on the road trips.

I think I agree with your not so subtlty. Give me Robertson-Nwigwe-Warren...with Penson being the primary sub at all three spots, Phillips and hopefully Davis making a contribution...and I believe there had been some talk of Kylie Hill getting work at a hybrid linebacker/safety position.

I am a big fan of Warren's, but have any of you seen Phillips play? I haven't, but would be curious to hear from those that have and their opinion on who is performing better.

I was at the scrimmage on Monday. I did not really pay attention to the linebackers much so I can't give an opinion on who played better. What I did notice is that Jeremy did not look all that big to be playing D1 linebacker and probably needs to gain about 15 lbs. However, from him being a QB in high school and a Safety in his redshirt freshman year he has to be very athletic. I am sure summer conditioning with Strength and Conditioning Coach Ausmus will help him gain "good' weight. He probably will be able to overcome the lack of size with speed, athleticism and ability to read the field.

I too am a fan of Warren. Great QB pressure on the last play at Western Kentucky including him getting face planted on about the 10 yard line leading the way for Tobi to the end zone!

Projected starters-

Six three two hundred is certainly pretty slim for a D1 LB. On the other hand, speed/quickness and intangibles can make up for a lot of things. Hard to judge until you see him in action. Just wish he were shorter. :D