Classic Ntsu Pictures

UNTflyer

Also see Alabama - Crimson Tide with an Elephant mascot.

I would say we are more parallel with Nebraska than 'Bama. Bama's mascot may be an elephant, but I don't think they have ever been known as "The Alabama Elephants." We put more emphasis on being "Mean Green" than Nebraska does on being "Big Red," but we will always be the North Texas Eagles.

Our Mean Green moniker was coined by Sidney Sue Graham, wife of then-AD (who has recently passed away), in the late '60s. Joe Greene was a junior back then, and the head coach was Rod Rust who took over for the retired Odis Mitchell.

Hayden Fry was the first to market it, and in fact I think he claims he originated it in his [auto?]biography. However, it was before his time and clearly not his doing. Says Randy Galloway:

I did some research on this and I don't think the confusion will ever go away. Sidney came up with the term rooting for Big Joe (that was his nickname while he was here), but never intended for the team to be named after him. I think there was a figurative exclamation point "moment" in the marketing department on this name and what it could mean (pun not intended) for us.

This is not true. The defense at the time was named the Mean Green, Joe did not have that nickname until he got to the pros. In fact, it is interesting that instead of the team being named after Joe Greene as many still believe; Joe was named "Mean Joe Greene" after the NT defensive team moniker after he went to the pros as team members associated his name with his college defensive team name..

I can only speculate, but this moniker might not have stuck without Fry's on-the-field success and media-savvy thinking.

here ya go

This entire thread is interesting and something I had no idea would stir a debate. Here is what I recall:

1. The orange seats were chosen merely because that was the fashion at that time. There was never any mention of Texas orange or Oklahoma State orange. Orange was "in" at that time...along with lime green leisure suits, gold chains, bell bottom pants, streaking, National Lampoon, Ruby Begonia's Cosmic a Go-Go on Hickory, and Harvey Wallbangers.. Basically, no one cared if the Super Pit seats were orange, purple, or chintz. It wasn't a blip on the radar.

2. Fry promoted the moniker Mean Green although officially we were the Eagles. I have a hat and coffee mug to prove it!

3. The Flying Worm was the best!

1. The orange seats were chosen merely because that was the fashion at that time. There was never any mention of Texas orange or Oklahoma State orange. Orange was "in" at that time...along with lime green leisure suits, gold chains, bell bottom pants, streaking, National Lampoon, Ruby Begonia's Cosmic a Go-Go on Hickory, and Harvey Wallbangers.. Basically, no one cared if the Super Pit seats were orange, purple, or chintz. It wasn't a blip on the radar.

A simpler, more fun, if seriously unfashionable time. What the hell is a Cosmic a Go-Go?

I was in the first class to graduate in the Super Pit (1974) and I honestly don't remember anything being said about the orange seats after it was built. I do remember at the time thinking it was gigantic.

GMG!

I was in the first class to graduate in the Super Pit (1974) and I honestly don't remember anything being said about the orange seats after it was built. I do remember at the time thinking it was gigantic.

GMG!

My class friends grumbled when we hosted Texas in Jan 1980 that the orange seats looked like a home game for them. But NT won in OT so all was fine. Coach Trilli (former UT asst) was the one that really wanted the seats changed to green so he started the campaign to make it happen. He was a good recruiter and salesman, lousy head coach.

This is not true. The defense at the time was named the Mean Green, Joe did not have that nickname until he got to the pros. In fact, it is interesting that instead of the team being named after Joe Greene as many still believe; Joe was named "Mean Joe Greene" after the NT defensive team moniker after he went to the pros as team members associated his name with his college defensive team name..

I apologize, GrandGreen, I was misleading and could have articulated better. "Big Joe" was his nickname in college and that is what I meant to imply. I am aware he was not "Mean" Joe until he made the pros.

Oh, these photos are from a current Talon's dad. Turns out he had a bunch of photo slides laying around so she went and did scans of them and loaded them to Facebook. There's actually about 70 shots that her and her dad scanned in.

I like that Mustang II

Another story about the orange seats at the Super Pit....I was told that they were orange to represent the "fire in the eagles eyes"...now, how is that for a lame excuse? Was told that by a member of the then AD staff. And, some of you folks complain about what you hear from current AD staffers!

By the way, Greenjoe is being a bit kind...he was actually one of the leaders (with several others) in getting the seats re-covered in green. In fact, there is a palque on the concourse wall in the Super Pit with the names of folks who donated to that effort...SUMG and DREX were two others I recall being instrumental in the "change" with SUMG suggesting that folks have their names on a little plaque on the backside of the chairs they helped to re-cover. It ended up being a plaque instead. Yes, my name is on the plaque too, but all I did was donate $$$$ (see folks, you can donate $$$ even if you don't agree with everything that's going on because it is YOUR SCHOOL...see above comment about reason for orange seats).

My apologies to others on this borad who worked on this prohject and/or donated $$$$...I just can't recall all the folks who were willing to help THEIR SCHOOL out in this worthwhile activity.

Fire in the eagle's eyes, my what???????