No Referendum On This Semester's Ballot

UNTflyer

Also, the following bill was introduced tonight:

WHEREAS Article V, Section 7, subsection A) of the By-Laws of the Student Government Association states:

"Ballot referenda for any legal purpose may be proposed by a two thirds (2/3) absolute majority vote of the Student Senate or by a verifiable petition of seven hundred and fifty (750) members of the Student Body.", and

WHEREAS today 750 members represents just 2% of the student body, and

WHEREAS to prevent the frivolous and unnecessary placement of a referendum on the semester ballot or a special election,

LET IT BE RESOLVED THAT Article V, Section 7, subsection A) of the By-Laws of the Student Government Association is amended to read:

"Ballot referenda for any legal purpose may be proposed by a two thirds (2/3) absolute majority vote of the Student Senate or by a verifiable petition of 10% of the members of the Student Body."

LET IT FURTHER BE RESOLVED THAT Article V, Section 7, subsection G is added to read:

"No petition may call for the re-vote of a student election without evidence of gross violations of election rules as stated in Article V of the By-Laws of the Student Government Association. The validity of a petition for a re-vote will be determined by the Election Committee or the SGA Supreme Court."

Any news in reference to the major renovation/ new union that was supposed to be placed in this semesters ballot...

I need a new union is much needed at UNT, I think the one we have now is for a student body of 10,000-12,000 students from what I heard and we are soon going to have nearly 40,000 students.

Edited by UNT_playmaker

Any news in reference to the major renovation/ new union that was supposed to be placed in this semesters ballot...

I need a new union is much needed at UNT, I think the one we have now is for a student body of 10,000-12,000 students from what I heard and we are soon going to have nearly 40,000 students.

Nothing this semester.

I gotta laugh about how the SDS is upset about this:

http://www.ntdaily.com/media/storage/paper...entedstoriestab

So it a petition to prohibit and ban the SDS will now require more signature? Just seems unfair.

I will say that this quote amused me:

if SDS was better organized they would have won that stadium.

fight. These SGA guys are typical capitalists. Alot of people are going to get paid on that stadium deal, and the SDS got them worried

Capitalists in a capitalistic society....who woulda thought.

So it a petition to prohibit and ban the SDS will now require more signature? Just seems unfair.

I will say that this quote amused me:

Capitalists in a capitalistic society....who woulda thought.

Plus there argument is stupid...the SGA doesnt get paid for getting the stadium passed...they are students