All Eyes On Defense In 2009

LongJim

I took a look at some stats at the NCAA and thought I'd post my thoughts. I believe that the MG defense and special teams bears much more watching and worrying this spring for several reasons.

Before I get to that however, a look back at the last few years of offensive and defensive performance:

FWIW, I posted this info a few months back in a thread that contained my concerns with diminishing dominance in the line play, so that's why it may look familiar:

In 2003, UNT scored 358 points. They gave up 285. (Run first, ball control offense.) 9-4 SBC champs.

In 2004, UNT scored 309 points. They gave up 358. (Run first, ball control offense.) 7-5 SBC champs.

In 2005, UNT scored 157 points. They gave up 346. (Run first, ball control offense.) 2-9

In 2006, UNT scored 154 points. They gave up 304. (Run first, ball control offense.) 3-9

In 2007, UNT scored 298 points. They gave up 541. (Pass first offense.) 2-10

In 2008, UNT scored 240 points. They gave up 571. (Pass first offense.) 1-11

To me, the drop-off in the OL and DL performance is the main reason (not the only one) for UNT's lack of success the last few years. In DD's schemes, the lack of consistency led to an ineffective attack that couldn't score points. TD has to date, scored more points than the last couple of years, but still has an anemic offense that cannot run when it has to, and cannot stop the run or pressure the quarterback, and gives up ridiculous yardage and points totals.

The good news, is that statistics from last year show basically that the 2008 OL did show some good things, but needs depth and stability. Rushing offense ranked 6th in the SBC. Total Offense was 5th. Passing offense was 4th. Sacks allowed was 5th. Middling numbers, for sure, but not as bad as I expected. (I know, I know...but I'm trying to stay positive here.)

What will bear watching will be the continued development of the offensive line, and the ability to run when necessary, to pass protect, blitz protect, and the receivers ability to run routes and get open. Having said that, the OL is still an area of concern, and still an area of need. A D1 program simply cannot have too many line prospects that can perform at this level.

The defensive and special team sides of the ball are where the opportunities exist. UNT ranked 7th or 8th in the SBC in the following categories: TFL, Sacks, Pass Eff Def, Total D, Scoring D, Pass D, and T/O margin. These are indicators of ineffective line play/play at point of attack, and is where at least some of the JUCO help from this year has been concentrated. Let's hope this improvement, and another year with an experienced DC will pay dividends.

On special teams, UNT ranked 8th in Punt Returns, K/O returns, and 7th in net punting. To me, issues here are strength and conditioning and coaching related. This is another area to watch because with modest improvements in S/T's, and defense, the translation to W's (IMO) will be significant.

It's nice, easy, and typical to want to know how the offense is performing, but the true story of how the MG will do this season is going to be told in the performance and improvement on the other sides of the ball during spring and fall practices. This is still an area of truly desperate need. For those going to practices and watching this team, that's where some of the most essential work is going to be done.