Observation Deck No. 2

Brett Vito

My guess is, it'll be one of the JUCO guys. None of the prep guys have been able to do anything since they've been on campus...I mean, other than the kid from San Antonio who quit last season.

You really expect true freshmen to walk on the field and produce immediately ahead of upperclassmen? You wouldn't rather have these young men redshirt, mature and create depth in the program?

Oh, that's right, you will criticize any and all things related to our current head coach and coaching staff. Carry on.

You really expect true freshmen to walk on the field and produce immediately ahead of upperclassmen? You wouldn't rather have these young men redshirt, mature and create depth in the program?

Oh, that's right, you will criticize any and all things related to our current head coach and coaching staff. Carry on.

My humble opinion:

JUCO will step in and up: TRUE

Prep guys have not lived up to expectations: TRUE

Prep guys should not be expected to come in and pass uppclassmen: TRUE

Prep guys come in and pass upperclassmen all over the country: TRUE

I prefer to play the best players, and hope that means we can redshirt the freshman: TRUE

Dibrell came in and was our #2 guy until he decided not to be: TRUE

Vizza was a true fresh when he stepped up: TRUE

Your counterpoint doesn't really nail what Fynch said: TRUE

Tasty is head of AIG: FAILBLOG

P1 is Dr. Evil: ?

<3 CBL basketball observations: TRUE

Admins <3 Finch: ?

carry on

Edited by greenminer

Does the name T.Y. Hilton ring a bell?

Oh, sorry. That's at FIU. I can't compare what's happening at FIU to what's happening in Denton. Our coaches need an infinite amount of time to bring players along. Meanwhile, other second year coaching staffs are taking true freshmen like T.Y. Hilton and making monsters out of them.

Yeah, freshmen can lead the conference in all-purpose yards. The problem is, you've got to have the coaches who know how to recruit and coach college talent. Even FIU has this part of the equation down.

My humble opinion:

JUCO will step in and up: TRUE

Prep guys have not lived up to expectations: TRUE

Prep guys should not be expected to come in and pass uppclassmen: TRUE

Prep guys come in and pass upperclassmen all over the country: TRUE

I prefer to play the best players, and hope that means we can redshirt the freshman: TRUE

Dibrell came in and was our #2 guy until he decided not to be: TRUE

Vizza was a true fresh when he stepped up: TRUE

Your counterpoint doesn't really nail what Fynch said: TRUE

Tasty is head of AIG: FAILBLOG

P1 is Dr. Evil: ?

<3 CBL basketball observations: TRUE

Admins <3 Finch: ?

carry on

Perhaps a Greenminer Observation Deck is in the works?

Oh, sorry. That's at FIU. I can't compare what's happening at FIU to what's happening in Denton. Our coaches need an infinite amount of time to bring players along. Meanwhile, other second year coaching staffs are taking true freshmen like T.Y. Hilton and making monsters out of them.

Yeah, freshmen can lead the conference in all-purpose yards. The problem is, you've got to have the coaches who know how to recruit and coach college talent. Even FIU has this part of the equation down.

This argument will never end. I agree with you, by the way, although I think has more to do with talent than coaching.

Yes, Hilton does ring a bell and he didn't have a Fitzgerald or Stickler to overcome either. Look, I give Dodge a pass on the 07 class because of the timeframe he had to throw it together. The 2008 class, which is all still here and committed to the program, is the class I will measure Dodge with. A majority of these young men were redshirted last season and should start emerging this year and next. You expect them to walk in a contribute now, and I like the fact that they are creating depth. The receivers were all highly recruited, played in HS all-star games, etc... and are far from failures.

Yes, Hilton does ring a bell and he didn't have a Fitzgerald or Stickler to overcome either. Look, I give Dodge a pass on the 07 class because of the timeframe he had to throw it together. The 2008 class, which is all still here and committed to the program, is the class I will measure Dodge with. A majority of these young men were redshirted last season and should start emerging this year and next. You expect them to walk in a contribute now, and I like the fact that they are creating depth. The receivers were all highly recruited, played in HS all-star games, etc... and are far from failures.

Okay. We'll disagree, but okay. There are plenty of sophomores, true sophomores and redshirt freshmen out there who were contributing to their squads all across the country last year. I just don't see giving our coaching staff excuses.

If Dodge had wanted to, he'd have been recruiting earlier in 2007. Southlake was more important to him. I understand that. And, it would be excusable if he had hired college coaches to fill out the staff, so that they could have been recruiting in the meantime. As it was, he brought so many high school coaches on, that the whole effort had to wait for the Southlake playoff run.

It is what it is. But, I'm a North Texas grad. And, to my way of thinking, you do what best for UNT if you are hired by UNT. Todd Dodge didn't do that right off the bat and it has hurt him depth wise. That can't be denied. But, there's no one else to blame. He's the head guy and he was the guy who was bringing in so many other guys who were having to wait until the high school season ended.