Now They've Gone Too Far

Coffee and TV...I just have to ask...are you a member of Green Peace by any chance? Yes, recycled paper for toilet paper use seems to be the most recent whacko idea to save trees! Do they realize that the trees used for TP are fast growing and not the lovely Oaks and other hardwoods that may well be worth saving? Yep, that's the way to save the earth...hard and scratchy TP. Forget that carbon footprint stuff...let's get really serious and and save the earth with recycled TP.

Hey, how about we do away with TP entirely and use our left hands to wipe??? You know, like some of the more "civilized" folks around the world.

You just have to love it. Saw this on a news show recently...it was really good for a big laugh.

And, before some of you throw me under the bus for these comments...I am a big fan of recycling and do a good bit of it myself around the office and home. But, I just find it amazing how far some of these folks want to take everything these days. Aluminum foil hats for all!

I'm all for changing the way we handle the environment, but WTF. Though, I know you can produce a ton of paper using hemp. Actually, you can supposedly produce a larger amount of paper with hemp (by acreage or something) as opposed to using trees. Hey, I would be down with that, but not with re-usable wipes. Negative.

Some celebrities should not even try to think, or at least not discus these thoughts publicly.

So she only needs 1 square, 2 at max? Really?

On one of my mean days it might take 1/2 a roll, what good would two squares do?

Hey, how about we do away with TP entirely and use our left hands to wipe??? You know, like some of the more "civilized" folks around the world.

These wackos have gone nuts with this stuff. Do they want us to follow India's lead? You know, one 4"x4" sheet, folded into quarters, tear a pinch off of the corner so when unfolded you can get your middle finger of choice through it- you know the rest. :wacko:

Edited by DeepGreen

Coffee and TV...I just have to ask...are you a member of Green Peace by any chance? Yes, recycled paper for toilet paper use seems to be the most recent whacko idea to save trees! Do they realize that the trees used for TP are fast growing and not the lovely Oaks and other hardwoods that may well be worth saving? Yep, that's the way to save the earth...hard and scratchy TP. Forget that carbon footprint stuff...let's get really serious and and save the earth with recycled TP.

This is part of your 'carbon footprint' theory, do you not realize that?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/science/...tml?_r=3&hp

But fluffiness comes at a price: millions of trees harvested in North America and in Latin American countries, including some percentage of trees from rare old-growth forests in Canada. Although toilet tissue can be made at similar cost from recycled material, it is the fiber taken from standing trees that help give it that plush feel, and most large manufacturers rely on them.

In the United States, which is the largest market worldwide for toilet paper, tissue from 100 percent recycled fibers makes up less than 2 percent of sales for at-home use among conventional and premium brands. Most manufacturers use a combination of trees to make their products. According to RISI, an independent market analysis firm in Bedford, Mass., the pulp from one eucalyptus tree, a commonly used tree, produces as many as 1,000 rolls of toilet tissue. Americans use an average of 23.6 rolls per capita a year.

Still, trees and tree quality remain a contentious issue. Although brands differ, 25 percent to 50 percent of the pulp used to make toilet paper in this country comes from tree farms in South America and the United States. The rest, environmental groups say, comes mostly from old, second-growth forests

Greenpeace, the international conservation organization, contends that Kimberly Clark, the maker of two popular brands, Cottonelle and Scott, has gotten as much as 22 percent of its pulp from producers who cut trees in Canadian boreal forests where some trees are 200 years old

Granted the last bit of info is from Greenpeace.

Edited by Coffee and TV

I just had the feeling you had a link to Greenpeace in there somewhere! :lol::flowers::flowers: Woodstock lives! How does one spell "cum by ya"? Really, I don't know! :unsure:

Since you asked nicely. It's Kumbaya

I just had the feeling you had a link to Greenpeace in there somewhere! :lol::flowers::flowers: Woodstock lives! How does one spell "cum by ya"? Really, I don't know! :unsure:

I didn't have any links to Greenpeace, actually. They were cited in the NY Times story. Nice job forcusing on that bit though, and not the meat of the story.

His version is the text I would send to what ever booty call I was after at 2:30 back in college.

I would often sit outside stranger's dorm rooms and "sing it" by myself.

I would often sit outside stranger's dorm rooms and "sing it" by myself.

Next time just give me a whistle or some kinda sign that you're out there and I'll make sure to "forget" to close the blinds. Hell in the spirit of the tune, you may even get an invite to sing along.