Football News And Notes

Brett Vito

I'm looking forward to what Phillips might be able to do at LB. Does anyone else think that Cook may end up at LB before all is said and done? 6'2 210. We certainly have a growing stable of young safties. And now add to that or mix at CB the transfer from Minnesota. That should be a kid to watch as well, he had 18 offers coming out of HS including several BCS programs. I think he should either be a RS fresh or soph next year. And lets keep out fingers crossed that the OU transfer is eligible this upcoming season, seems as though he would be an impact player.

Edited by H-towngreen

"UNT will have a practice open to fans on March 6 at Fouts Field.

The Mean Green will practice at both Fouts and the Darrell R. Dickey Practice Facility, the fields adjacent to the Mean Green Athletic Center, during spring drills.

Dodge said fans who want to watch practices at the athletic center can stand outside the fence that surrounds the field.

UNT’s scrimmages will take place on March 10 and March 27. The spring game will take place on April 4 at Fouts Field."

Fans have always been able to watch practice at the athletic center "outside the fence". Just bring your Fouts-Field-game-watching-binoculars.

When I spoke to Coach Nelson at the signing day event, I was very impressed.

His resume is full of all conference players, and NFL players. His expertise is

coaching not only DT's, and DE's, but coaching the entire DL as a unit. I like

this coaching move. I think Coach Nelson will have alot of input to Coach DeLoach

with defensive game plan development. I also like he hiring of Scotty Conely,

knows Texas, has contacts, will work with recruiting, and experience at D1 programs.

Maybe these injured players are being held out for precautionary reasons?

JJ Johnson recovering from injury? That is too bad. I did not know he was injured.

Tyler Bailey, had a severe broken leg that required surgery.

Alex Lott, Sam Owusu-Hemeng,Jeremi Mathis (I know Mathis has been injured a long

time-so I wonder if he applied for a Med R/S status?). Micah Mosley, I thought he was injured

LY, stayed out for a while, but played in the last 2 games?

I hope all of these players recover and come back in the fall.

I like the current position moves too. Cook from CB to Safety, Jeremey Phillips from safety

to LB. (I think all NT fans wanted this move). Joe Hawthorne from DE to DT. Joe must be

a good DT candidate now. JUCO Jeremey Bean, 6-5, 310, learning both OT and OG positions,

is a good idea. Now, Sam Roberson from O-WR to S-WR? I thought Roberson would

also work out at TE? At 6-4, 220lbs, he would present a big target. This makes me think

something is in the works at all WR positions. I thought Roberson was going to be the deep

threat go to guy or does the staff see more value with Roberson as a big slot reveiver?

Stradford will be working out at O-WR, but no news on his eligibilty in 2009.

DB Justin Chatman, 5-9, 165, 4.4 speed. This is a big surprise! Transfer from MN. I know MN and WI,

hit the DFW area hard during recruiting. With that many D1 offers, Rivals had only a 5.3 rating on

Chatman. How was Chatman able to be eligible for 2009? I would take a 4.4 CB from any of the

DFW area schools! A Big Ten conference player, coming to NT, that can play in 2009, great!

Now if we can get OU transfer WR Tyler Stradford eligible for 2009! That would be great news too!

Edited by charlie nt73

I'm with Charlient73 here...I like the position moves being made and the addition of Chatman is a very nice surprise indeed...a bigger surprise that he is eligible to play this season...just how did that happen? Don't care...I like it!

I also like the coaching moves being made. I think this shows some "growth" in our head coach, and a willingness to get some more college level experience on his staff. The new strength and conditioning coach is having a nice and positive impact already (at least that's what I hear from some folks much closer to the program than I am), and the coaching position moves seem to make a great deal of sense. Looks like the team could be a great deal more "experienced" from a coaching standpoint in 2009 which should result in greater on-field success. Congrats to TD for making these coaching moves.

Good to see the "open practice" scheduled for Friday, march 6th. Could be a fun evening for Mean Green fans.

Good things are happening for the Mean Green Nation. Best of all...spring ball is here!!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Redshirt freshman quarterback Riley Dodge weighs 190 pounds, up from 175 when he signed with UNT out of Southlake Carroll.

Oh, great... Now he's calling Riley Dodge FAT!

DAMN YOUR NEGATIVITY, VITO!!! Don't you know how sensitive teens are to body issues? Do you want to turn the kid anorexic, for crying out loud???

Where's the responsibility? This is what passes for journalism these days? WHY ISN'T HE COVERING THIS OKLAHOMA SECESSION STORY?!?!?

Charlie and Kram are right on. I got to meet Coach Nelson, and he is the real deal. He was not cocky confident, but you can tell he has been down the Div 1 and will do nothing but help this defense. The strength coach is the still the biggest addition we have had in years. And at the recruiting social, Deloach was just like a kid who just got back from the toy store. He was just plain giddy, and hopefully all of this will translate to improvement on defense this year. The only downside is I do not see how it could be worse, so no where to go but up.

<a href="http://minnesota.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=50092" target="_blank">CHATMAN

</a>

Sweet! Could he be a starter ?

Never heard of him being here until just now , damn you Vito you have been withholding this positive info...damn you

I never understood all of the players Minnesota signs from the DFW area. Regarding Chatman, glad to have him aboard, but he doesn't have much size. Would he fit more as a return man?

Oh, great... Now he's calling Riley Dodge FAT!

DAMN YOUR NEGATIVITY, VITO!!! Don't you know how sensitive teens are to body issues? Do you want to turn the kid anorexic, for crying out loud???

Where's the responsibility? This is what passes for journalism these days? WHY ISN'T HE COVERING THIS OKLAHOMA SECESSION STORY?!?!?

I weigh 195. Does this mean I'm pretty?

I never understood all of the players Minnesota signs from the DFW area. Regarding Chatman, glad to have him aboard, but he doesn't have much size. Would he fit more as a return man?

The head coach is a former UT assistant (Tim Brewster, 1998-2001). The guy before him was a Big 8/Big 12 coach who already had years of ties to the area (Glen Mason, KU 1988-1996...established KU's pipeline to DFW that is still going strong today).

The head coach is a former UT assistant (Tim Brewster, 1998-2001). The guy before him was a Big 8/Big 12 coach who already had years of ties to the area (Glen Mason, KU 1988-1996...established KU's pipeline to DFW that is still going strong today).

Oh, I'm aware of who there coaches are/were, but it is damn cold up there during their 6 month winter. I guess the lure of playing in the Big 10 attracts them.

“Scotty wants to step into the administrative side of things,” Dodge said. “What I like is that when we go into a staff meeting, he has been in every chair in the room. He has been a graduate assistant, a college assistant and a head coach. He was also a high school coach. He brings a wealth of experience, but what set him apart from the other people we interviewed was his knowledge of the state of Texas. Our operations guy deals with recruiting a lot. I don’t know if I could have found someone else who has recruited the state of Texas his whole career.”

Obviously, an important position to have on your resume with the current coaching staff!!! :P I'm just kidding...I get the point that the HS coaching experience serves to assist in the recruitment of HS players. Now, whether or not I'm buying that argument is an entirely different matter.

I never understood all of the players Minnesota signs from the DFW area.

I have lived in Minnesota. High school football there is a joke. They say there are no black people in Minnesota when Prince is on tour. Hard to find skill position athletes there. The best athletes in the state are wrestlers. As funny as it sounds, you can get to Minnesota from Denton without exiting I-35. It is a 12 hour drive straight north. Pretty smart of Minnesota to recruit Texas athletes. Minnesota is a great option for lower level Big 12 recruits who aren't good enough for Texas, OU or A&M but still want to play in front of large crowds.

you can get to Minnesota from Denton without exiting I-35. It is a 12 hour drive straight north.

True story, I flew in to Minneapolis a couple of years ago to interview for a job. I picked up my rental car and just upon leaving the airport I see an exit sign for I35 South "Dallas." I thought it was funny because I could see the sign having the name of a city closer to Minneapolis than Dallas.

Tim Brewster, the Minnesota coach is a very good recruiter with Texas ties. That

is why he is able to get good recruits from the area.