Arkansas Little Rock (2/21/09)

CMJ

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say a whole lot except this was a very disappointing and unexpected loss. I guess the only bright side is that we can play that bad, yet still be within a few points of a win against one the leagues best teams.

They got us to play their style of game. A defensive grinder. UALR is great at making other teams look bad, and we certainly went right into their hands. A pretty discouraging defeat for a variety of reasons. Oh well, let's just beat the living hell out of ASU.

Attendance? Also, did anyone else see Coach Johnny chase the ref into the tunnel at the end of the game? I think he had something to get off his chest. :P On the bright side, we won the SGA canned food drive drawing, $100 Voertmann's gift certificate. More Mean Green gear!

GMG!

It's rather stunning to look at the box score. We're used to seeing almost the entire team with some kind of points production, with several players in double figures. We actually did have 3 players in double figures(McCoy, Tramiel, and Dennis), but it it's startling how few of our guys, including some big offensive weapons, had 3 or under points.

Edited by CMJ

Observations from the game

1) Actually, this is 1, 2, 3, and 4. Point Guard. We dont have one. We need one desperately.

2) Turnovers. See 1.

3) We got up 24-15 by pounding the ball down low to Trameil. UALR went on the run when we stopped.

4) 1 player had a particularly horrible game. "1" player.

5) Frustrating to see that 1 player left in for extended periods when Dennis and McCoy were sitting on the bench.

Didn't read the thread, so if this has been covered, disregard.

GMG...close out with 2 road victories!

I don't know....I think Dom has been playing very well at the Point lately. Tonight was not of his better nights, however, he was not alone in his struggles. Just a tough loss. On the bright side, ASU looks like they're in a total meltdown right now, so hopefully we can steal another one of the road.

He was horrible tonight. At least 6 turnovers. Very bad stretch toward the end of the first half and then falling down (which, for some reason, he did a lot tonight) after a key steal with about 55 seconds left and a chance to cut it to 2. He's just not a point. Hopefully this was just a bad game and he can rebound for the last 2 and the tourney.

I still say we win the West going away this year if we had anything close to a true point on this team.

But, man, what an overall ugly basketball game by both teams.

It was fantastic size crowd treated to a not so great game.

Yes, both the men's and women's games were great crowd killers. Both coaches again left valuable timeouts on the scoreboard. The time management, or lack of, at the end of a half or game when close is killing us. We were basically out-athleted by UALR. They found a way to keep pounding it inside against us and Hogans and Howerton couldn't stop them after George got into foul trouble, plus we missed what seemed like half our free throws. When we were up 24-15 the whole team went into a funk at the same time and before you know it we were down 29-38. BTW, I hated UALR's cheap rec-center looking uniforms too!

Nice crowd last night...it was great to see that many stayed after the women's game too. Still would like to see this size crowd being considered a "poor turnout" rather than a great crowd, but, we are getting there, and this was a nice step...crowd-wise. Now, as for the game itself...UGH! Seems UNT took a step back in this one, but do not fear...UNT will have a home play-in game and will win that to head to Hot Springs and more wins!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

I'm going to disagree with many of you:

I don't think we played that bad; we just didn't make shots we normally make. We played good defense in holding UALR to 37% shooting. We also outrebounded them. We committed the same number of turnovers as they did (16).

I think our shot selection was OK, but UALR plays great defense. Still, we missed a lot of shots that we normally hit. Overall, we shot 25.5% from the field, and were still in the game at the end. (I'd really like to know how it would have played out had Johnson's steal not gone off the side of his foot.)

I thought our guys gave great effort and played hard. Some nights, your shots don't fall. Better to happen now than in the conference (or NCAA) tourney. If we had played most other teams in the conference, we would have still won.

In reading Vito's blog...it sounds a lot like JJ is content moving forward with Dom as the point guard next season. I really hope this isn't the case...Dom as your starting 1 isn't good for the team and it isn't best for Dom...he's ideal for a sixth man role as a combo guard...bring him in, let him gun, if he's on extend his minutes...if not sit him down and let a real point guard run the team.

Marcus Brister at 6'3" 210 would help.

You must of typed that while I was making the edit. Great minds! Orginally I thought Brister was MIA and not at Weatherford , but I checked and he is on the team roster. He just missed the last game with the flu.

JXKYAYFONIEHTLW.20070906152601.jpg

Edited by NT03

He's still showing just two offers on rivals...us and Georgia State. Cooley's seen him play...and he dropped a Michael Sturns comparisson...not Sturns game, Brister is an actual point guard...just that he loves the showy pass...he'll put up nice assist numbers, but the turnovers may add up as well