Firm Officially Picked To Build Football Stadium

LoveMG

QUOTE(SilverEagle @ Feb 14 2009, 01:10 PM) *

Although during the Maurice McAdow days, they would line up (company front style) at the north end zone and play a very impressive fanfare before entering the field. It was better pagentry than what we have now. Of course the GB of those days was about 125 members and they were very up-tempo (marching 8 to 5). Their uni's were very similar to the Ohio State Band's uni's. And like Ohio State, they wore spats. One of Mr. McAdow's favorite words and/or commands to the band was "FLOURISH, FLOURISH".

I would like to see the fanfare that they used to play during those days brought back. I think it must have been written by a North Texas graduate for the Band, because in all the years I've gone to HS and College football games, I've never heard a fanfare like it."

Yes, in those days, the band had a great tradition. The fanfare you mention was taken from a Wagner opera.

I must be getting old as I find today's band about as exciting as watching a houseplant grow. It's not just North Texas, it's all those bands that march in that communist drum corps style. They learn two or three shows a season and do them over and over. With McAdow's band, a new show was presented at each home game, including back to backs.

Just for spite, I think I will wear some spats tomorrow.

Dude! My hat's off (er, spats off?) to you; you will not go unnoticed. And yes, I did just recently buy a new hat!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SilverEagle @ Feb 14 2009, 01:10 PM) *

Although during the Maurice McAdow days, they would line up (company front style) at the north end zone and play a very impressive fanfare before entering the field. It was better pagentry than what we have now. Of course the GB of those days was about 125 members and they were very up-tempo (marching 8 to 5). Their uni's were very similar to the Ohio State Band's uni's. And like Ohio State, they wore spats. One of Mr. McAdow's favorite words and/or commands to the band was "FLOURISH, FLOURISH".

I would like to see the fanfare that they used to play during those days brought back. I think it must have been written by a North Texas graduate for the Band, because in all the years I've gone to HS and College football games, I've never heard a fanfare like it."

Yes, in those days, the band had a great tradition. The fanfare you mention was taken from a Wagner opera.

I must be getting old as I find today's band about as exciting as watching a houseplant grow. It's not just North Texas, it's all those bands that march in that communist drum corps style. They learn two or three shows a season and do them over and over. With McAdow's band, a new show was presented at each home game, including back to backs.

Just for spite, I think I will wear some spats tomorrow.

Interesting. I heard from a former NT Band member from the early 50's who said that they didn't wear spats with their uni's. The NT Uni also had a short cape, that had an N & T on it. It went flying every time a band member made an exaggerated turn....Ohio State style.

The only shows that I saw during the mid-sixties were homecoming shows. They were very impressive. I remember one where the show featured the fight song. They took you on a world tour and played the fight song as if it had been written in different counties. I remember they did a Spanish version, an Oriental version, and a version that sounded like European classical music. I was very impressed with the origionality of the show....and the high energy of the band members.

Did you ever get that record that has made by the North Texas Band during the McAdow era transferred to a CD?

The band's an integral part of the pageantry at any school. Granted, OSU's use of the band is different than most because most people consider the band just as holy as the football team here...but they're all part of the show.

The first time I saw what's in this video in person really opened my eyes to the absolute spectacle that is college football. Still gives me goosebumps every time the team comes out:

You know, it wouldn't take much change to our current entrance to really spice it up. In the OSU example, the band isn't really setup on the field much differently than what we do....but they do form a line to block the field for the team. Then once the fight song starts, they open the line and the team runs through....the most impressive part is that you've got movement happening from everyone on the field (not just the football team rushing through) and looks much more impressive and exciting b/c of it. That and you make the band a part of the show (b/c they are also moving), and not just background music.

Edited by TIgreen01

The band is great and always WINS half-time. But, agree...it could spice it up a bit more. The last couple of years has been pretty predictable. I think UNT is lucky to have such a great band. These students work extremely hard...ever watched some of their summer workouts? GO BAND!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

The band is great and always WINS half-time. But, agree...it could spice it up a bit more. The last couple of years has been pretty predictable. I think UNT is lucky to have such a great band. These students work extremely hard...ever watched some of their summer workouts? GO BAND!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Based on the context...I really think "wins" should've actually been in quotation marks.

Now thats "irony."

Yes, six years of the silent phase. "We want your money for the stadium but we're not telling how much, what for, or by when...just give it!" <_<

Sarcasm and negativity on your part? I am surprised because you have been one of the more positive voices lending reasoning as to how the stadium project is being handled. I can't understand why more info is not put out. If it is now an issue of raising capital by borrowing or donations, and is the economy effecting it, then we could all understand that, if they (Dr. B and RV) would just step forward and say "This is where we are today." It is unfair to us fans/donors, but I believe grossly unfair to those who worked to get a "yes" vote for the athletic fee.

I can't understand why more info is not put out. If it is now an issue of raising capital by borrowing or donations, and is the economy effecting it, then we could all understand that, if they (Dr. B and RV) would just step forward and say "This is where we are today." It is unfair to us fans/donors, but I believe grossly unfair to those who worked to get a "yes" vote for the athletic fee.

The student vote backed the administration into a corner of having to actually produce the "forever talked about" new stadium, ready or not. Yet, little talking has been done since on the subject, only hints that it is still in process. Since the student vote happened the economy has tanked and fan's financial priorities have shifted to saving themselves instead of the NT football program. Bonds have been harder to sell. Timing is everything and on this project we scored no touchdowns (again). RV will probably have a tell-all meeting once the Legislature and BOR give the fee their blessings, but it may be too late now for many who wanted to come and listen before.

The student vote backed the administration into a corner of having to actually produce the "forever talked about" new stadium, ready or not. Yet, little talking has been done since on the subject, only hints that it is still in process. Since the student vote happened the economy has tanked and fan's financial priorities have shifted to saving themselves instead of the NT football program. Bonds have been harder to sell. Timing is everything and on this project we scored no touchdowns (again). RV will probably have a tell-all meeting once the Legislature and BOR give the fee their blessings, but it may be too late now for many who wanted to come and listen before.

Or, as past UNT Athletic adventures has shown us, another potential "missed opportunity".

After the 1st or 2nd Sun Belt title was the best time. It was talked about, but nothing was done. If I recall, Dickey was promising recruits a new stadium. Now, the economy will suck more air from this project. Here is an example of what the Cowboys are looking at with their naming rights of their new stadium:

Cowboys to Open Stadim with a Lot Less Money