Firm Officially Picked To Build Football Stadium

LoveMG

Some truisms, but we don't ALWAYS have to be a poor mid-major. If we could just get a stinkin law school with an affiliation to the main campus, we could get some stinkin rich lawyers, with some stinkin rich tobacco settlements, with some stinken loyalty to our school, who could build us any stinkin thing that we want, and we could....well, you get the idea.

Step 1 -- Create Law School

Step 2 -- Graduate rich lawyers

Step 3 -- Ban cigarettes on UNT campus

Step 4 -- File massive class action lawsuit against everybody

Step 5 -- Profit

Step 6 -- Hovercraft luxury suites in airfoil stadium with lasers and the Solid Gold Dancers

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have as much right to expect first class facilities just like you/us business geeks and all us sports geeks.

Yes, the point is that it would have been nice to have that information so we could say, "The university is also planning major renovations to the Music Building and Concert Hall."

And what's wrong with the Green Brigade entering Fouts, marching down the track playing "fly like an eagle" 6 straight times before making it to the student side? Surely someone things thats pagentry. :blink:

Our band may win awards, and our Music school is top notch... but you'd never know it on game day. The same 2 or three songs played over and over in the 30 minutes leading up to kickoff gets boring. We need Change.

Our band may win awards, and our Music school is top notch... but you'd never know it on game day. The same 2 or three songs played over and over in the 30 minutes leading up to kickoff gets boring. We need Change.

Agreed. "Fly Like an Eagle" starting whipping my ars about 20 year ago and has never stopped.

I actually really dig the band and in particular the dry wit of the director during games.

My father is a big fan, too.

Fly Like An Eagle... I was a vocal detractor a few years back, but I've come around. I still hate the actual song, but I like our use and interpretation of it.

One thing I'm hoping that comes with the new stadium are some new traditions. Maryland comes out and touches the turtle, Clemson has Howards Rock, we need something. Many teams have a walk to the stadium, why cant we. Set up an alley way like The Grove at Ole Miss and have the team walk thru on way to the stadium. Something to get fans involved, something to build tradition.

Great idea. With all that area that will be around the stadium, we ought to be able to figure out something.

and get those players in suits for the walk in.

I actually really dig the band and in particular the dry wit of the director during games.

My father is a big fan, too.

Fly Like An Eagle... I was a vocal detractor a few years back, but I've come around. I still hate the actual song, but I like our use and interpretation of it.

Oh, I like "Fly Like an Eagle". I just feel we need a little more variety.

If 20,000 alums would donate $1,000.00, or 40,000 would donate $500.00 then we would have the $20,000,000 million needed to go with the larger donations already in hand and this thing would be paid for. But as my grandfather always said "crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up faster"

Edited by flyonthewall

If 20,000 alums would donate $1,000.00, or 40,000 would donate $500.00 then we would have the $20,000,000 million needed to go with the larger donations already in hand and this thing would be paid for. But as my grandfather always said "crap in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up faster"

all unt has to do is ask. but they won't ask and they won't tell whats going on.

One thing I'm hoping that comes with the new stadium are some new traditions. Maryland comes out and touches the turtle, Clemson has Howards Rock, we need something. Many teams have a walk to the stadium, why cant we. Set up an alley way like The Grove at Ole Miss and have the team walk thru on way to the stadium. Something to get fans involved, something to build tradition.

You are absolutely right. We need to create some new traditions for the stadium. North Texas has produced some great musicians and bands over the years. Why is it that we never hear their songs at the games. I know some of you will get mad at this, but I'm saying it anyway. I hate hearing Steve Miller's "Fly Like An Eagle" every two minutes. Steve Miller didn't even go to UNT.

Songs to consider:

The Toadies- Possum Kingdom, and Tyler

The Eagles- Take It Easy, and Desperado

another song Texas song:

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Anybody got other songs for the list?

At the recruiting social, Dr. B spoke and said the stadium is coming, but gave no date. Her last words were "we are looking for your check". That was the strongest statement yet from her or RV that I have heard in regards to the new stadium. I have said the video of the stadium should have been played at every football game as well as at every basketball game, both men and womens'. The model should also be at every basketball game over by the jump stuff, etc. That is where most people come in.

Although during the Maurice McAdow days, they would line up (company front style) at the north end zone and play a very impressive fanfare before entering the field. It was better pagentry than what we have now. Of course the GB of those days was about 125 members and they were very up-tempo (marching 8 to 5). Their uni's were very similar to the Ohio State Band's uni's. And like Ohio State, they wore spats. One of Mr. McAdow's favorite words and/or commands to the band was "FLOURISH, FLOURISH".

I would like to see the fanfare that they used to play during those days brought back. I think it must have been written by a North Texas graduate for the Band, because in all the years I've gone to HS and College football games, I've never heard a fanfare like it.

The band's an integral part of the pageantry at any school. Granted, OSU's use of the band is different than most because most people consider the band just as holy as the football team here...but they're all part of the show.

The first time I saw what's in this video in person really opened my eyes to the absolute spectacle that is college football. Still gives me goosebumps every time the team comes out:

There can't be any official campaign until the student fee passes the legislature.

Is it a law that the official campaign cannot begin until the student fee passes the legislature? Though the fee is to be used for the stadium, it is still just an "athletic fee". I do not think it would halt a capital campaign or be a reason as to why the university is not putting out more info. Also, if what you are saying is correct, then how come a contractor can be hired?

QUOTE(SilverEagle @ Feb 14 2009, 01:10 PM) *

Although during the Maurice McAdow days, they would line up (company front style) at the north end zone and play a very impressive fanfare before entering the field. It was better pagentry than what we have now. Of course the GB of those days was about 125 members and they were very up-tempo (marching 8 to 5). Their uni's were very similar to the Ohio State Band's uni's. And like Ohio State, they wore spats. One of Mr. McAdow's favorite words and/or commands to the band was "FLOURISH, FLOURISH".

I would like to see the fanfare that they used to play during those days brought back. I think it must have been written by a North Texas graduate for the Band, because in all the years I've gone to HS and College football games, I've never heard a fanfare like it."

Yes, in those days, the band had a great tradition. The fanfare you mention was taken from a Wagner opera.

I must be getting old as I find today's band about as exciting as watching a houseplant grow. It's not just North Texas, it's all those bands that march in that communist drum corps style. They learn two or three shows a season and do them over and over. With McAdow's band, a new show was presented at each home game, including back to backs.

Just for spite, I think I will wear some spats tomorrow.