Firm Officially Picked To Build Football Stadium

LoveMG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30,000 seat capacity is such a JOKE!!!!

Remind me again why we are building a stadium with less seats than Fouts.... So much for hosting teams who can bring people with them to our games....

why are you complaning....we are finally getting the stadium we have needed for years, and ya it only has 30,000 to start but will be expandable up to 50,000 when the time comes....geez im so sick of everyone complaning about every little dam thing....this is good news...shut your mouth for once!

Edited by bstnsportsfan3

why are you complaning....we are finally getting the stadium we have needed for years, and ya it only has 30,000 to start but will be expandable up to 50,000 when the time comes....geez im so sick of everyone complaning about every little dam thing....this is good news...shut your mouth for once!

Quiet you! We're on a record setting pace for annual increase in UNT self flagellation. Now go back to your dark little corner let's see a little more effort in your self loathing! We'll have no optimism out of you! Remember...big brother UT is watching! We must be ever vigilant and appropriately jealous.

when has fouts field, with its new seating, ever been sold out???? 30,000 sounds ok to me until NT starts to sell out the new complex on a regular basis then, IMHO, NT can think about expanding. NT is just a poor state university with no big time donors like other d-1 schools. you may not like it but that is the reality of our situation. nt is a mid-major and will, and in all estimation, be always a poor mid-major with limited funding for our program, for our coach's salaries and the teams that nt brings into fouts field to play. yea it would be nice to watch ksu, osu, ou, au play here.....but really......how much do you think it would "cost" nt to bring in teams like that?? to do that we would need another "body bag" game every year to pay for the "big time" team to play at ff.

i have drunk from the bottle of green kool aide and it taste good but the next morning that ugly girl is still ugly.

just a thought.

30,000 seat capacity is such a JOKE!!!!

Remind me again why we are building a stadium with less seats than Fouts.... So much for hosting teams who can bring people with them to our games....

I believe that the capacity was prefaced with "A general snapshot of the stadium" so I would be willing to bet it will be a little higher than was stated in he article. besides the joke is our attendance... not the new capacity. if we can sell the new stadium out consistently for 5 or 6 home games for the first couple years, then affording the expansion project shouldn't be a problem. I imagine that going to games in a stadium that doesn't closely resemble a toilette will help with attendance somewhat...but until we can get people in the stadium we should not be concerned with total capacity... unless we put dummies/manniquins in the extra 20k seats to create the illusion that the stadium has people in it.

I can just see it now...wow attendance is 50% higher now, but they aren't one decible louder than before... weird.

Can you imagine if we host a big big name opponent and the stadium is 75% opposing fans? How maddening would that be? especially if games go as they have with big name opponents in the past.

Edited by SHOSS

I believe that the capacity was prefaced with "A general snapshot of the stadium" so I would be willing to bet it will be a little higher than was stated in he article. besides the joke is our attendance... not the new capacity. if we can sell the new stadium out consistently for 5 or 6 home games for the first couple years, then affording the expansion project shouldn't be a problem. I imagine that going to games in a stadium that doesn't closely resemble a toilette will help with attendance somewhat...but until we can get people in the stadium we should not be concerned with total capacity... unless we put dummies/manniquins in the extra 20k seats to create the illusion that the stadium has people in it.

I can just see it now...wow attendance is 50% higher now, but they aren't one decible louder than before... weird.

Can you imagine if we host a big big name opponent and the stadium is 75% opposing fans? How maddening would that be? especially if games go as they have with big name opponents in the past.

75% opposing fans. That sounds like going to a Baylor, Rice, UH or SMU game when they face a big-name opponent. Texas may be a football state, but it has never supported its "mid-major" programs very well. TCU and UTEP (for some unique reasons) may be the only exceptions.

when has fouts field, with its new seating, ever been sold out???? 30,000 sounds ok to me until NT starts to sell out the new complex on a regular basis then, IMHO, NT can think about expanding. NT is just a poor state university with no big time donors like other d-1 schools. you may not like it but that is the reality of our situation. nt is a mid-major and will, and in all estimation, be always a poor mid-major with limited funding for our program, for our coach's salaries and the teams that nt brings into fouts field to play. yea it would be nice to watch ksu, osu, ou, au play here.....but really......how much do you think it would "cost" nt to bring in teams like that?? to do that we would need another "body bag" game every year to pay for the "big time" team to play at ff.

i have drunk from the bottle of green kool aide and it taste good but the next morning that ugly girl is still ugly.

just a thought.

I totally agree. Fouts is currently 30,500. But 10,000 of those seats are absurdly crappy in just about every way that you can imagine. I look forward to us having 30K real football seats, in a real football venue.

THEN we will find out what our real potential is (fan wise) as a football school.

This interesting:

"The regents also unanimously approved the selection of an architect and engineer for the $2.5 million renovation of the Concert Hall and $2.5 million in upgrades to the College of Music Building."

The music geeks were all bent out of shape because they needed upgrades to their facilities. I don't recall ever hearing about these plans, but it sure would have been nice to have the information 6 months ago.

“It’s hard to give an estimated cost on a project until you decide what you are going to build,” he said. “We have a general idea, but that doesn’t provide the details. Plans have not been drawn out yet.”

When are/should plans to have an actual stadium design be completed?

I agree we have no need for a 50k plus stadium. Lets prove that we can sell out 30k regularly first. If we have a 50k capacity stadium but only draw 30k it's still gonna look pretty empty.

Wow!!! sorry I just got goose bumps and all happy in certain areas. I just for the first time actually thought about what opening day at the new stadium would be like. Imagine.....A hot August day...6 pm kickoff....Sun starting to set....walking up to _________ Stadium at North Texas......NT vs K-State???......Sitting with 30k of your closest NT fans all decked out in green and white.....NT storming to take the field....wow.....I'm so f'in pumped right now....lets get this damn thing moving

“It’s hard to give an estimated cost on a project until you decide what you are going to build,” he said. “We have a general idea, but that doesn’t provide the details. Plans have not been drawn out yet.”

When are/should plans to have an actual stadium design be completed?

I agree we have no need for a 50k plus stadium. Lets prove that we can sell out 30k regularly first. If we have a 50k capacity stadium but only draw 30k it's still gonna look pretty empty.

Wow!!! sorry I just got goose bumps and all happy in certain areas. I just for the first time actually thought about what opening day at the new stadium would be like. Imagine.....A hot August day...6 pm kickoff....Sun starting to set....walking up to _________ Stadium at North Texas......NT vs K-State???......Sitting with 30k of your closest NT fans all decked out in green and white.....NT storming to take the field....wow.....I'm so f'in pumped right now....lets get this damn thing moving

..........AND the Green Brigade pouring out onto the field (OU style) to make a grand entrance and (like the OU band) getting the fans pumped and really into the game just before the teams arrive. I think that's called the pagentry of college football.

A guy in our office who was at UNT during the previous fee increase which resulted in, among other things, the added aluminum bleachers, mentioned the lack of acoustical improvements after that project. Of course there wouldn't be any increased fan noise with only the addition of open aluminum bleachers (which are usually empty) at an open end zone of a stadium. I certainly hope this new stadium will have good acoustics "built in" to the design, especially with the music school we have, and the hopes of its dual use as a concert venue. I think one acoustical problem, other than the openness of Fouts, is its lack of verticality (or as someone here so eloquently put it, "vertically challenged Fouts".

As far as the 30k with potential for another 20k capacity; it may be worthwhile to think about what Stanford did in its recent stadium redo, reducing capacity from around 85k to 50, so as to increase "intimacy". Here's the link; keep in mind, although I haven't found it mentioned on a web search today, that Stanford sometimes covers massive numbers of those seats with a tarp like covering to hide the view of otherwise empty seats.

Stanford Stadium redo, per Wikipedia

Edited by eulessismore

..........AND the Green Brigade pouring out onto the field (OU style) to make a grand entrance and (like the OU band) getting the fans pumped and really into the game just before the teams arrive. I think that's called the pagentry of college football.

One thing I'm hoping that comes with the new stadium are some new traditions. Maryland comes out and touches the turtle, Clemson has Howards Rock, we need something. Many teams have a walk to the stadium, why cant we. Set up an alley way like The Grove at Ole Miss and have the team walk thru on way to the stadium. Something to get fans involved, something to build tradition.

And what's wrong with the Green Brigade entering Fouts, marching down the track playing "fly like an eagle" 6 straight times before making it to the student side? Surely someone things thats pagentry. :blink:

Edited by DeepGreen

This interesting:

"The regents also unanimously approved the selection of an architect and engineer for the $2.5 million renovation of the Concert Hall and $2.5 million in upgrades to the College of Music Building."

The music geeks were all bent out of shape because they needed upgrades to their facilities. I don't recall ever hearing about these plans, but it sure would have been nice to have the information 6 months ago.

They have as much right to expect first class facilities just like you/us business geeks and all us sports geeks.

One thing I'm hoping that comes with the new stadium are some new traditions. Maryland comes out and touches the turtle, Clemson has Howards Rock, we need something. Many teams have a walk to the stadium, why cant we. Set up an alley way like The Grove at Ole Miss and have the team walk thru on way to the stadium. Something to get fans involved, something to build tradition.

Maybe all the coaches can come out and strangle SilverEagle? :)

And what's wrong with the Green Brigade entering Fouts, marching down the track playing "fly like an eagle" 6 straight times before making it to the student side? Surely someone things thats pagentry. :blink:

Not anyone who's ever been to an OU game. ;) I don't like OU, but they know how to do college pagentry.

I guess the GB is doing the best that they can with basically a track stadium. It's kind of hard to come pouring out on the field when you're coming from a different zip code.

Although during the Maurice McAdow days, they would line up (company front style) at the north end zone and play a very impressive fanfare before entering the field. It was better pagentry than what we have now. Of course the GB of those days was about 125 members and they were very up-tempo (marching 8 to 5). Their uni's were very similar to the Ohio State Band's uni's. And like Ohio State, they wore spats. One of Mr. McAdow's favorite words and/or commands to the band was "FLOURISH, FLOURISH".

I would like to see the fanfare that they used to play during those days brought back. I think it must have been written by a North Texas graduate for the Band, because in all the years I've gone to HS and College football games, I've never heard a fanfare like it.

just a thought.

Some truisms, but we don't ALWAYS have to be a poor mid-major. If we could just get a stinkin law school with an affiliation to the main campus, we could get some stinkin rich lawyers, with some stinkin rich tobacco settlements, with some stinken loyalty to our school, who could build us any stinkin thing that we want, and we could....well, you get the idea.