#119 !

NT03

Are you implying that a defensive line that consistently creates pressure up front can also expect to see improved play from it's secondary as it disrupts the QB's timing, forcing quicker decisions before coverage breaks down? Or are you saying that being able to stop the run up front can force an opponent into a one-dimensional attack that should will in turn benefit from an improved pass-rush, thus creating an all around better defense ergo team? Either way, to keep the offenses at bay you must get better play from the guys up front day to day. Todd Dodge's job we can save! What do you say? HEY HEY HEY

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Are you implying that a defensive line that consistently creates pressure up front can also expect to see improved play from it's secondary as it disrupts the QB's timing, forcing quicker decisions before coverage breaks down? Or are you saying that being able to stop the run up front can force an opponent into a one-dimensional attack that should will in turn benefit from an improved pass-rush, thus creating an all around better defense ergo team? Either way, to keep the offenses at bay you must get better play from the guys up front day to day. Todd Dodge's job we can save! What do you say? HEY HEY HEY

Pressure comes from the DE position. Controlling the running game is more related to the DTs. Still not as excited as everyone else on here about the 2 JUCO DTs. While they have good size, one was only the 3rd or 4th best DT in his JUCO league (Adkison), and the other had very few other D1 offers and appears to be a package deal with DE Weber (who will soon become the greastest pass rusher ever in the history of forever). I think the returning players are the key to turning in any more than 1 or 2 victories this season, not the JUCO additions.

I would be semi-excited about the offensive possiblities if the 2 year starter at QB hadn't transferred.

JOHN WEBER FOR TEAM CAPTAIN!!!!!!! *Above comments about JUCOs do not apply to one John Weber

*-disclaimer

119 you say? Some would call that opportunity...

In the past at UNT when things seemed to get at its darkest also seemed to be the times our green-tinted Phoenix started its rise from the desert. Old & Young Nestors alike will tell newcomers that these things are most always a cycle thing.

After 0 wins (or was it 1 win?) in 1972, ie, my first year as an NT student, all the Negative Neds on and near campus started their usual talk of dropping football (yawn) :rolleyes: and in December of that same year we hired one who who shattered the glass ceiling and raised the bar for Mean Green football as well as what seemed like the whole darn university and the entire UNT constituency.

It's amazing what a football program that has Top 25 aspirations, goals and then obvious momentum toward those means can do for everyone. Hellsbells, ugly women start looking good, anchovies on a pizza tastes great and Jose Cuervo hangovers become something to look forward to. :blink:

Tough times don't last--tough people do.

GMG!

Pressure comes from the DE position. Controlling the running game is more related to the DTs. Still not as excited as everyone else on here about the 2 JUCO DTs. While they have good size, one was only the 3rd or 4th best DT in his JUCO league (Adkison), and the other had very few other D1 offers and appears to be a package deal with DE Weber (who will soon become the greastest pass rusher ever in the history of forever). I think the returning players are the key to turning in any more than 1 or 2 victories this season, not the JUCO additions.

I would be semi-excited about the offensive possiblities if the 2 year starter at QB hadn't transferred.

JOHN WEBER FOR TEAM CAPTAIN!!!!!!! *Above comments about JUCOs do not apply to one John Weber

*-disclaimer

Yeah, but having 2 big DT's in the middle can help to collapse the pocket and give the QB a little less room to move up and avoid the D-ends. And maybe if good enough the DT's may be able to take on some souble teams freeing up the ends. I think that with the youngsters that we may actually have some depth on the line now. For some reason I'm expecting big things from Draylon Ross. Not sure why. I just am. I think Weber is more of a run-stopping D-end than a pass rushing type. Although I heard the other day that Gilmore is up to 270!! I think he is going to be an absolute monster this year, NFL potential???? My big concern is the depth at the End position. We have Russo who came on last season, but who else?

Yeah, but having 2 big DT's in the middle can help to collapse the pocket and give the QB a little less room to move up and avoid the D-ends. And maybe if good enough the DT's may be able to take on some souble teams freeing up the ends. I think that with the youngsters that we may actually have some depth on the line now. For some reason I'm expecting big things from Draylon Ross. Not sure why. I just am. I think Weber is more of a run-stopping D-end than a pass rushing type. Although I heard the other day that Gilmore is up to 270!! I think he is going to be an absolute monster this year, NFL potential???? My big concern is the depth at the End position. We have Russo who came on last season, but who else?

The MaCk AttAcK !!!

I've always thought Gilmore was going to go to the League , I hope he proves me right !

OLDPOST

Edited by NT03

As does Jay ratliff.

That being said you can't really count on a DT to rack more than a handful of sacks in a season. You can only hope that they cause alot of havoc.

Agreed - and I never said they would record the sacks, just cause the disruption that makes it easier for the ends, linebackers and anyone else we send to clean up the mess.

Agreed - and I never said they would record the sacks, just cause the disruption that makes it easier for the ends, linebackers and anyone else we send to clean up the mess.

Salient football points. Is that you Quoner? Where's Quoner? He normally speaks on other subjects.

GMG

Salient football points. Is that you Quoner? Where's Quoner? He normally speaks on other subjects.

GMG

It was really hard to think up and analyze this stuff because it is so complex and hard to figure out. I can't imagine what it would be like to actually get out there with those big scary men and try to matriculate the ball down field. Whew!

The #119 ranking is not a suprise from the national sports talking heads,

who have based their prediction on the past two years of the "Dodge Experiment".

The talking heads just jump on the bandwagon and follow each other's lead.

Just another typical national report. Until the football team turns the corner,

expect more of the same type of reporting.

Can the team turn the corner? Yes they can and yes they will! 2009 will be fun!

Since we are talking DT's and DE's, I am very excited about the numbers of

very good DT's and DE's that will be available for 2009. I am not the only fan

that shares the same opinion. I spoke to several coaches at the Press Conference

on Feb 4th, who are very excited about the number of players at DT and DE.

There will be 9 DT's and 10 DE's, including the new recruits. These numbers will

change during spring ball and the fall 2-a-days. Never the less, the team will have

the largest number of quality players competing at DT and DE that ever before.

Coach Dodge made a interesting statement last Wed night. "The D-line will

start with Ross (Draylon Ross)". The staff is expecting Ross to be a dominate

DT. Ross is listed 6-4, 286, 14lbs from 300. Jessie DeSoto, 6-1, 286, Troy Franklin

at 6-4,277 and Tevinn Cantly, 6-4, 310. Ross, DeSoto, Franklin will be at 300 if they

are not there already. JUCO's Shavod Atkinson, 6-2, 298 and Kelvin Jackson, 6-2,

320 do not arrive until the fall but the coaches want all the JUCO's to participate

in summer workouts. The point here is, Atkinson and Jackson are not starters yet,

and they will have to beat out Ross,DeSoto,Cantly, and Franklin. Kyle White, 6-2,

318 arrives this fall too, and can be a factor. I would like to see a R/S for

White, but if can play and dominate, he could see playing time. I see 7 DT/NG players

at 300lbs. (I would like for Jackson to shed 15-20 lbs by fall.). One more note.

I spoke to Mike Nelson, our new DT's coach. Nelson is a stud DT/DL coach. He will hit the

ground running. Outstanding personality, motivator, demanding, and is a teacher above

all. Coach Nelson will make a difference with the DT and NG positions. A big difference!

Coach Nelson believes the DT/NG position can develop into a very good interior

defensive line. Coach Nelson did say the starting positions are open until someone

proves they can be the man at DT and NG. The interior defense will improve and have

a real shot at becoming a very good interior defensive line, loaded with quality big

DL players! Yes, the interior DL play will be improved with quality D1 players and depth!

The 2009 season will be great, then watch how fast the national sports talking heads

change their opinions about NT, and jump on the winning NT bandwagon!

Edited by charlie nt73

The #119 ranking is not a suprise from the national sports talking heads,

who have based their prediction on the past two years of the "Dodge Experiment".

The talking heads just jump on the bandwagon and follow each other's lead.

Just another typical national report. Until the football team turns the corner,

expect more of the same type of reporting.

Can the team turn the corner? Yes they can and yes they will! 2009 will be fun!

Since we are talking DT's and DE's, I am very excited about the numbers of

very good DT's and DE's that will be available for 2009. I am not the only fan

that shares the same opinion. I spoke to several coaches at the Press Conference

on Feb 4th, who are very excited about the number of players at DT and DE.

There will be 9 DT's and 10 DE's, including the new recruits. These numbers will

change during spring ball and the fall 2-a-days. Never the less, the team will have

the largest number of quality players competing at DT and DE that ever before.

Coach Dodge made a interesting statement last Wed night. "The D-line will

start with Ross (Draylon Ross)". The staff is expecting Ross to be a dominate

DT. Ross is listed 6-4, 286, 14lbs from 300. Jessie DeSoto, 6-1, 286, Troy Franklin

at 6-4,277 and Tevinn Cantly, 6-4, 310. Ross, DeSoto, Franklin will be at 300 if they

are not there already. JUCO's Shavod Atkinson, 6-2, 298 and Kelvin Jackson, 6-2,

320 do not arrive until the fall but the coaches want all the JUCO's to participate

in summer workouts. The point here is, Atkinson and Jackson are not starters yet,

and they will have to beat out Ross,DeSoto,Cantly, and Franklin. Kyle White, 6-2,

318 arrives this fall too, and can be a factor. I would like to see a R/S for

White, but if can play and dominate, he could see playing time. I see 7 DT/NG players

at 300lbs. (I would like for Jackson to shed 15-20 lbs by fall.). One more note.

I spoke to Mike Nelson, our new DT's coach. Nelson is a stud DT/DL coach. He will hit the

ground running. Outstanding personality, motivator, demanding, and is a teacher above

all. Coach Nelson will make a difference with the DT and NG positions. A big difference!

Coach Nelson believes the DT/NG position can develop into a very good interior

defensive line. Coach Nelson did say the starting positions are open until someone

proves they can be the man at DT and NG. The interior defense will improve and have

a real shot at becoming a very good interior defensive line, loaded with quality big

DL players! Yes, the interior DL play will be improved with quality D1 players and depth!

The 2009 season will be great, then watch how fast the national sports talking heads

change their opinions about NT, and jump on the winning NT bandwagon!

Then where would you honestly rank UNT?? I think 119 is pretty accurate myself. Say what you will about 'national' experts, I think they have this one pegged. SMU is 116 and they had a better recruiting class than we did. I too hope some of these JUCO's work out - and we have a more favorable schedule this season, but to act like the defense will be dramatically better is pretty unrealistic.