Mean Green Signing Day Thread

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hilbert Jackson in...is it wrong that I kinda wanted him to bail, nothing against the kid but there are a couple of kids waiting around (the Taylors from Mesquite) who I think would've been better options?

Rivals has Jackson rated 1/10th pt higher than Darnell, but you may know something Rivals doesn't. Wasn't the other Taylor just the throw-in toy on a "package deal"? We don't exactly have a lot of extra scholarships to throw around like that. Right now, I'm pretty happy to have a 5.4 and a 5.6 DB signed.

From the signing day blog:

Obviously everyone knows there will be a much-publicized quarterback battle.

There will? I'm sure Tune will give it a good shot, but isn't Riley pretty much a foregone conclusion since Vizza left?

Also tells us what happened to Ethan McMillan. I was hoping that would turn into our next "feel-good" story.

I hope he can get a little more excited about playing for the Mean Green by the time the season starts.

I thought that as well, however I'm sure it is a tough choice and that doesn't mean he isn't excited.

Judging by the comments the fact that he should be a started here and the potential to be a impact player may have swayed him

Rivals has Jackson rated 1/10th pt higher than Darnell, but you may know something Rivals doesn't. Wasn't the other Taylor just the throw-in toy on a "package deal"? We don't exactly have a lot of extra scholarships to throw around like that. Right now, I'm pretty happy to have a 5.4 and a 5.6 DB signed.

The other Taylor was a throw in, but a 2 star linebacker throw in...we could use a 2 star linebacker, especially if it also means we're getting a safety with a Big 10 offer.

And don't get me wrong...I'm happy having Jackson.

11:10 AM

Chevy Bennett – CB – 6-1 – 182 lbs. – Sachse HS

During the 2008 year Bennett made 45 tackles with 35 of them solo ... Averaged 6.4 tackles per game ... Picked off three passes and recovered a fumble ... Returned two kickoffs for 57 yards including a long of 49 ... Had two punt returns for 15 yards ... In 2007, made 44 tackles, got five interceptions, 28 pass breakups, blocked two field goals, and forced two fumbles ... During 2006, tallied 41 tackles and one interception.

Edited by UNTflyer

what im hearing is since he sat out all last year, north texas is trying to convince the NCAA that that was his "SIT OUT" year.

From the NT Blog.

11:20 a.m. - A few people have been asking about the new JC signees, including Scott, who asked about those that are already in school. North Texas has five transfers that are now enrolling in classes this semester. Jeremy Bean (OL), Jamaal Jackson (WR), Mike Outlaw (WR), Ira Smith (CB) and Tyler Stradford (WR) will all be suiting up for the Mean Green in the fall.

Update: They seemed to have changed their minds.

12:15 p.m. - A couple questions that we need to answer. The Todd Dodge press conference will be streamed live at 1 p.m. on MeanGreenSports.com free of charge. You can get there by clicking on Mean Green Premium or Gameday link and then click on upcoming live events. Also, wide receiver Tyler Stradford who has transferred to North Texas from Oklahoma is currently not eligible to play for the Mean Green this season. There have been some situations in college football where student-athletes who were affected by Hurricane Katrina have been granted waivers from the transfer limitations, but as of now that is not the case for him.

Edited by SilverEagle

Message from Patrick Cobbs to the North Texas team:

“No team has the ability to carry over its wins from the previous year and no team has to be burdened with the losses from the previous year, so you are starting with a clean slate. The 2009 team has a chance to determine its own legacy irrespective of what any team before it has done.”

12:25 PM

Austin Fitzpatrick – TE/WR – 6-3 - 215 Ibs. - Friendswood HS

Selected First Team all-district in 2008...Caught 40 passes for 545 yards and 7 touchdowns...Averaged 13.6 yards per catch...Had a season-high seven catches for 144 yards and a touchdown against Austin Lake Travis in 4A State Semifinal...Made six receptions for 103 yards and a touchdown versus Dayton...Grabbed six catches for 93 yards and two scores against Brazoport...Returned four kickoffs for 49 yards...Has ability to play at tight end and wide receiver...Helped team go 11-2 before falling in state semifinal...In 2007, he caught 14 passes for 232 yards (16.6 avg) and three touchdowns...His team posted a 7-3 record.