Michael Phelps Admits "regrettable" Behavior

yes, so you agree with my statement?

So where have you been the last 8 years?

But the point is an athlete smoked pot.

SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't noticed, pot is not a performance enhancing drug. If anything it is the opposite. It's non-addictive and less harmful them alcohol or cigarettes. If Phelps wants to smoke a joint, I think he's earned that right. Although with his status he's probably getting kind bud. And smoking a joint of sticky icky is a complete waste. Use a bong dude.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!

Who hasn't ever smoked ??? I'd be willing to bet that more than 50% of people 15 - 49 tried pot at least once in their life. The US is the only place in the world where it is not legal.

The whole anti-pot thing in the US is actually pretty funny. The efforts to make pot illegal and keep it that way go back to something like the 1910's, and one strange little man's vendetta with weed. Well, two men's vendetta with weed. One guy had the usual "I HAET WEEDZ" vendetta, and the other didn't like it since it was putting his paper business at risk.

Don't forget that you can make a bunch of things with hemp, paper being one of them. Actually, hemp can be used to make plastic and paper. Hell, it actually produces more paper than trees.

One of the funniest (and most BS, cheapshot ways) ways that marijuana got closer to being illegal was a stamp tax act. In order to sell it, you needed a stamp. In order to get said stamp, you needed to have at least a certain amount. However, you were basically carrying marijuana illegally while you got said stamp. Furthermore, the stamps were produced in ultra-limited quality. If I remember right, this violated the 5th amendment for any number of reasons and this act was repealed.

Around the same time as this act, the guy who wanted to keep the paper industry in his hands was more or less, pushing newspapers that he owned to shoot anti-marijuana articles around to ruin its name in public. Before this, a guy by the name of Harry or Henry Anslinger got his personal vendetta rolling by pushing anti-cannabis research, propaganda and the occasional racist story.

After that you've got your number of flawed research articles about weed and how harmful it is, and a lot of money spent in the media (which, is fine because it's more or less directed at minors).

Point is, weed isn't going to kill you. Well, not alone. If you use it unsafely, say, driving while high, you're just as bad as a driver that's DUI. Plus, it's addictive qualities really are about the same as those with alcohol. Is it a gateway drug? No less than alcohol is. If you ask me, I say it gets taxed, regulated, and sold via medical companies so its safe and money out of that goes to something besides some weed dealer or someone else in the same line of work.

FOX Link

"As his sponsors try to figure out what to do with him, here are some suggestions that could take advantage of Phelps' new notoriety and street cred.

Subway -- "I'm Michael Phelps for Subway. Their freshly-baked bread is even more delicious when you're freshly baked."

Visa -- "Because while Dookie does sell the finest hydroponic bud in the state, he does not take American Express."

Omega watches -- "Sometimes I don't know where I am or even who I am. But I always know what time it is. Thanks, Omega."

PowerBar -- "I'm Michael Phelps. And I don't let the munchies get in the way of doing crunches. I reach for a PowerBar."

Corporate America may still be stuck in the 1936 "Reefer Madness" mindset -- and the 1936 economy -- but the rest of the country just doesn't seem to care all that much if someone gets high.

Take this passage:

"I had discovered that it didn't make any difference whether you smoked reefer in the white classmate's sparkling new van, or in the dorm room of some brother you'd met down at the gym, or on the beach with a couple of Hawaiian kids who had dropped out of school and now spent most of their time looking for an excuse to brawl. ... You might just be bored, or alone. Everybody was welcome into the club of disaffection."

What stoner wrote that? President Barack Obama, recipient of the most votes of any American presidential candidate in history.

America's capacity to forgive notwithstanding, Phelps will likely take some hits for taking the hit. But where one sponsorship door closes, another might open.

If the suggestion of a lesbian shower scene during a Super Bowl ad is any indication, I'm guessing the execs at GoDaddy.com would have no moral problem using Phelps as a commercial pitchman.

He could probably even bring his bong to the shoot."

Omega watches -- "Sometimes I don't know where I am or even who I am. But I always know what time it is. Thanks, Omega."

This is a good one, but it should read "Omega watches -- When I'm busy training I still have appointments to meet. Especially the one at 4:20."

People know the Super Bowl MVP used to be a freaking drug dealer and killed rabbits, right?

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/200...s-speed-humble/

He was hunting the rabbits. And he's sorry he sold drugs. ;);)

UGH. Must we enter this debate once again? It's illegal! Amazing how some folks just want to overlook that small inconvenient fact. Get it legalized if you want/can. Until then, it's simple. Don't do it. I would tell you not to do it even if it were legal...smoking anything is not good for your health. Dummy, don't do it! Do you think Phelps is sorry (after the fact) because it might, just might, have some effect on his endorsement deals? Just wondering. Too bad. I thought this was one athlete who really could make good decisions and had his act together. I know, this is not "too big a deal" and I do not want to make it into one either. But, did he not know it was a "regretable act" BEFORE he did it? You think? Always great to see how folks are so sorry...after the fact. Makes me think they are only sorry they got caught! :lol:

UGH. Must we enter this debate once again? It's illegal! Amazing how some folks just want to overlook that small inconvenient fact. Get it legalized if you want/can. Until then, it's simple. Don't do it. I would tell you not to do it even if it were legal...smoking anything is not good for your health. Dummy, don't do it! Do you think Phelps is sorry (after the fact) because it might, just might, have some effect on his endorsement deals? Just wondering. Too bad. I thought this was one athlete who really could make good decisions and had his act together. I know, this is not "too big a deal" and I do not want to make it into one either. But, did he not know it was a "regretable act" BEFORE he did it? You think? Always great to see how folks are so sorry...after the fact. Makes me think they are only sorry they got caught! :lol:

one bad decision does not define a man.

...and maybe he regretted it before it was publicized?

He's getting what's coming: I understand the lost endorsements might equate to millions.

Correct...one bad decision does not define a man. If that were the case, we would probably all be in one "mell of a hess"!

However, do these "kids" not realize that in this day of cell phone photography and texting that NOTHING is going to keep something like this from showing up? Just a little thought ahead of time might be the answer. You have so little less to "regret" when you do think first and act second. "young" does not excuse stupid behavior.

I think Michael Phelps is a winner, and do hope this does not work against him or hurt all those younger kids trying to "be like Michael".

UGH. Must we enter this debate once again? It's illegal!

I would never even consider coming within a hundred yards of marijuana in the state of Texas. Wouldn't want to spend the rest of my living days involuntarily quartered down in Huntsville. That said, I've no moral problem whatsoever with anybody getting high. As Dennis Miller once said, you don't see a guy on marijuana rear back and jam his pool cue through his partner's eye socket in a bar. He's too busy laughing at the balls. (paraphrased)

I can think of no single reason for pot to be illegal. I'm pretty sure than if ole' Chris Columbus had found Indians smoking reefer instead of tobacco, we'd be debating smoking bans in bars of an entirely different kind right now. But as long as it continues to be illegal, and as long as we keep fruitlessly pumping billions of dollars into a "war on drugs" and as long as we keep throwing hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people into overcrowded jails to rot away for decades on end because they chose to get high, I'm not touching the stuff.