Sunday Recruiting Update

Brett Vito

I was really hoping to land Harlan! Hopefully things will go our way. Maybe he visits Baylor but they don't offer. Who knows. He seems to have the ideal size to play D-end.

I'm hoping we land the kid as well..... but as a TE instead of DE. It's sure be nice to have a legitimate TE with that kind of size helping out with the blocking/passing game.

Edited by Green P1

I'm hoping we land the kid as well..... but as a TE instead of DE. It's sure be nice to have a legitimate TE with that kind of size helping out with the blocking/passing game.

Plus, with his yards per catch (25?), he could be either a WR or TE, just move him over; the change to a "heavy" set wouldn't be as predictable.

Charlie Brown and Victor Gill were both TE's in HS...Brown will be a Sr. next year and Gill will be a Jr

That is good to know, and I hope that both Charlie and Victor will move into what might be more natural positions for them; some have said that Charlie Brown would fit better at DE; my understanding is that was what was planned for him before the start of the 2008 season, and that he was pressed into service as DT because of injuries. My guess is that Gill would move back to TE, although it sounds like he did pretty well as OT; I think it's true that both were undersized for the positions they played in 2008, and that the 2008 and 2009 recruiting classes should result in more size at OT and DT.

However, it sounds like Harlan may have some speed, as well as size and power. That's why I was thinking he could play a versatile role, and could play some WR, with the possibility of sliding over to TE without a substitution. Just thinking that might cause some deception, since sending in a TE might be seen as signalling "run". Also, it sounded like our TE sets almost used the TE as an extra back (somewhat back from the line?). It sounds like he has the size to be used well in that situation; especially if he was used primarily as a blocker in high school.

I think Gill will be a tackle at UNT for his career. They will try to get more size on him and he has a frame that could fill out considerably. The year he spent in the trenches is valuable. He could turn out to be a pretty nice player before all is said and done if he can add size. Harlan will be a defensive end although he's a good enough athlete to play both ways. I think Charlie could be a good defensive end and hope they will put him there in the spring.

A decent pickup at DE and I am also hopeful that Harlan will join the class. I do think this is going to be a good to very good class for UNT and one that has the potential of filling some holes...

I will keep my fingers crossed on Harlan...GO MEAN GREEN!

Guest GrayEagleOne

Bryant Seidle was also a tight end of some note so on the semi-rare occasions when that formation is used we should be pretty well covered. I still don't know whether Gill stays at tackle or not. He is the second smallest lineman (in weight), including walkons. He doesn't seem to have the metabolism to add weight but is ideal for the tight end position. Maybe we'll se a few more plays with a tight end in the formation and Victor would be great, especially at blocking.

Then again, with a new strength coach it may be possible to get him up to tackle weight since he is 6-5.