Riley Dodge

LAZER

Maybe I am crazy but it seems like many on this board do not support Riley. All the comments such as "to weak, fragile" etc..... Whether these statements are true or not I do not care. If Riley was not the son of the head coach I am sure most of you would not act this way about him being that he was such a big time recruit. WHO CARES HE IS THE COACHES SON!! What is important is that he has talent and that he put on a MEAN GREEN UNIFORM!!

Although I like Vizza, this team has only won three games while he was at the helm. Although all the losses were not entirely his fault, he still has some of the blame ( poor decisions, constantly overthrowing his receivers on the deep ball). Thus, maybe it is time for this team to move in a different direction.

Riley showed some major speed when he played this year. Additionally, during his HS days he showed he really had an arm and good accuracy. Riley also knows this offense better then any NT QB ever will. I think Riley's knowledge of the offense will give him the opportunity to possibly call some of his own plays. Occasionally calling his own plays will help this offense because he will be able to spot things on the field the coaches might not see.

I think it is almost certain Riley will be the starting QB next season, so instead of constantly pointing out his flaws lets embrace his positives and welcome him. I look forward to seeing Riley in the gun next year leading this team to VICTORY!!!

PS: For those of you who think the team is not behind him, most of us know absolutely nothing about what really goes on behind the scenes. If Riley is as good as he is made out to be and it leads to wins, the team will be behind him in a heart beat.

ABSOLUTELY no hate from me...ever. I have expressed reservations about his physical size and how that might affect his durability, but that was a sincere thought for his well-being and the team's performance should he go down for the count. Surely he has been spending time with the strength coach, has gotten that shoulder back to nearly 100%, and has bulked up a little since last fall.

Unlike some, I care not that he is the coach's son...there are several positives to that!

LAZER, you don't seem any crazier than any of the rest of us; honestly, I think some of the anti-Riley postings have been over the top and perhaps inspired by some of Vizza's most vocal supporters, of whom we may see fewer posting here as the terms of his release seem to be resolved (per Vito, anyway). Personally, I agree with your assessment of Vizza, in that he was at least part of the team's offensive futility during the last year. As frustrated as it was to see our ineptitude on defense and special teams, I must say that seeing them get the offense the ball in good position at times (this did happen later in the season), only to see the offense come up empty handed, seemed even more disappointing. My wife doesn't really know much about football, but commented as to how disappointing that was. He didn't really seem like the same player this year as last, and maybe just wasn't happy here. I do admire him that he took the hits that he did and kept coming back for more, but wasn't that even more true of Casey Fitzgerald? I think he was the guy who made both Danny Meager and Giovanni Vizza look as good as they did.

KingDL1, I agree; bring on Riley and Nathan, give them both a chance to show what they can do, and let the past take care of itself. After all, like Vizza, they were both starting quarterbacks for state championship high school football teams; which at this point is the best that can be said about any of the quarterbacks on the 2008 roster in terms of winning.

Honestly, there are several things I don't understand about the manner in which Vizza departed, but the statements provided to the media before the coaching staff seem odd. If guys like Marcus King and Sam Dibrell could go to Dodge and inform him of their intention to leave, I have a hard time understanding why Vizza would find him less approachable. There are times when I'm down and kind of want to keep things to myself, but I haven't failed to inform management where I work, or my wife at home, of decisions I'm considering, rather than letting them find out through a third party after the decision has been made, past the time when the information could be useful in their work and daily lives. Before anyone thinks I'm putting all this at the foot of Giovanni Vizza, let me say that I consider it likely that his father was driving the decision making process.

All that being said; whenever I've seen Nathan Tune or Riley Dodge in a football game, they appeared to be decisive, and oriented towards moving the ball downfield and scoring points. As for our offense and Vizza this year, we continued to move the ball downfield and rack up pass completions, first downs and yardage, but didn't produce the points to match, and turned the ball over too often. Yes, sometimes our receivers missed catches they should have made, but, as LAZER said, Vizza also didn't make some throws he should have.

Yes, LAZER, winning cures a lot. Let's hope we find out more about that. Go Green!

Edited by eulessismore

No hate here,

Go Riley!!!!

Go Nathan!!!!!

I Agree KingDL1 ...............Lets all move on from this. Its done and over its time to support who we have and who might be " THE MAN" to lead the MEAN GREEN.

I must add my "sleeper" pick CHASE BAINE to kick up the competition a notch when spring ball comes around.

Friend of mine talked to the Glen Rose kid this week and he is pumped to get here as fast as he can. " I hope Dodge red-shirts him for future the though."

LAZER, you don't seem any crazier than any of the rest of us; honestly, I think some of the anti-Riley postings have been over the top and perhaps inspired by some of Vizza's most vocal supporters, of whom we may see fewer posting here as the terms of his release seem to be resolved (per Vito, anyway). Personally, I agree with your assessment of Vizza, in that he was at least part of the team's offensive futility during the last year. As frustrated as it was to see our ineptitude on defense and special teams, I must say that seeing them get the offense the ball in good position at times (this did happen later in the season), only to see the offense come up empty handed, seemed even more disappointing. My wife doesn't really know much about football, but commented as to how disappointing that was. He didn't really seem like the same player this year as last, and maybe just wasn't happy here. I do admire him that he took the hits that he did and kept coming back for more, but wasn't that even more true of Casey Fitzgerald? I think he was the guy who made both Danny Meager and Giovanni Vizza look as good as they did.

KingDL1, I agree; bring on Riley and Nathan, give them both a chance to show what they can do, and let the past take care of itself. After all, like Vizza, they were both starting quarterbacks for state championship high school football teams; which at this point is the best that can be said about any of the quarterbacks on the 2008 roster in terms of winning.

Honestly, there are several things I don't understand about the manner in which Vizza departed, but the statements provided to the media before the coaching staff seem odd. If guys like Marcus King and Sam Dibrell could go to Dodge and inform him of their intention to leave, I have a hard time understanding why Vizza would find him less approachable. There are times when I'm down and kind of want to keep things to myself, but I haven't failed to inform management where I work, or my wife at home, of decisions I'm considering, rather than letting them find out through a third party after the decision has been made, past the time when the information could be useful in their work and daily lives. Before anyone thinks I'm putting all this at the foot of Giovanni Vizza, let me say that I consider it likely that his father was driving the decision making process.

All that being said; whenever I've seen Nathan Tune or Riley Dodge in a football game, they appeared to be decisive, and oriented towards moving the ball downfield and scoring points. As for our offense and Vizza this year, we continued to move the ball downfield and rack up pass completions, first downs and yardage, but didn't produce the points to match, and turned the ball over too often. Yes, sometimes our receivers missed catches they should have made, but, as LAZER said, Vizza also didn't make some throws he should have.

Yes, LAZER, winning cures a lot. Let's hope we find out more about that. Go Green!

His failure to actually face Coach may have something to do with the fact that he was in San Antonio when the decision was made , if in fact it was made during the winter break. The others were on campus when they decided to leave the team.

I believe the title of Walk-on is unjust for many D-1 players. Recruiting is not and exact science and at best is a guessing game. Many good players slip through the cracks because coaches can meet and look at so many kids during recruiting . I cant remember all the schools but one Walk on QB plays for South Carolina and Coach Spurrier and a few more where I have heard the phrase " THE FORMER WALK ON" from an ESPN announcer. I believe these guys get alot of reps being on the Scout teams and that helps them with the speed of the game and when ( If they ever get their chance) surprise coaches and players with their ability take make plays.

Are we a little Shaky in the QB position? Yes, but lets see what all these guys do in the spring before panic sets in and we go look for some JUCO QB that is left out there because if you look at the JUCO recruiting board all are gone with just a few maybes left

I WILL BE THERE APRIL 4 TH !!!!!!!!

Go MEAN GREEN !!!!

From a raw ability standpoint, I'm really excited to see Riley play. He's got a lot of physical tools and a second to none knowledge of the offense. From a controversy perspective, I'm glad we have none at this point. Riley vs Vizza was a tired-head in the making for next year.

When it comes to injuries, however, I admit I'm concerned. Playing sparingly through three games, taking only a handful of hits, he received a concussion and was lost for the season. Before that, he suffered a significant injury to his throwing shoulder that left him unable to even practice for months. I'm not at all ready to label the guy as injury prone; heck, it might have been two really freak incidents. But a small guy who has a recent past of injuries in an offense that loves to give up sacks, pressures, and big hits does make me a little nervous.

When it comes to injuries, however, I admit I'm concerned. Playing sparingly through three games, taking only a handful of hits, he received a concussion and was lost for the season. Before that, he suffered a significant injury to his throwing shoulder that left him unable to even practice for months. I'm not at all ready to label the guy as injury prone; heck, it might have been two really freak incidents. But a small guy who has a recent past of injuries in an offense that loves to give up sacks, pressures, and big hits does make me a little nervous.

Am I the only one who never believed there was any concussion at all? I've always assumed that Dodge realized how much of a waste playing Rodge at WR was and made up for it with a Med-Shirt.

Edited by Green P1

Am I the only one who never believed there was concussion at all? I've always assumed that Dodge realized how much of a waste playing Rodge at WR was and made up for it with a Med-Shirt.

I think there was at least one. Serious face.

He is the most higly touted recruit in the 20 years i have been associated with the NTSU-UNT program.

State Champ-5A player of the year.-etc.....

I think the venom is coming from some who have felt let down by Papa Dodge......

I cant wait to see what this kid can do next year!!

He is the most higly touted recruit in the 20 years i have been associ

I think the venom is coming from some who have felt let down by Papa Dodge......

I cant wait to see what this kid can do next year!!

I agree. I think people find him guilty by association, and regardless of what his actual talent may be, any playing time is obvious and blatant nepotism.

I agree. I think people find him guilty by association, and regardless of what his actual talent may be, any playing time is obvious and blatant nepotism.

What if he passes for 4000 yards and 40 touchdowns but the defense regresses, leading to another 1-2 win season but with a fixed offense.

Would you still want to fire Dodge and risk losing Riley or stay the course?

What if he passes for 4000 yards and 40 touchdowns but the defense regresses, leading to another 1-2 win season but with a fixed offense.

That is one of the better discussion points I have seen on this board in a long time. I really don't know...

I think you give Dodge four years...unless we dont win a single game

No QB controversy is a good thing heading into spring. Dodge goes with Dodge and hopefully the program turns around with JUCO WR's and a better defense. It can only get better, but how much better.

RV has to be wondering now if he made the right call. This next season is it. I suspect a new coach in a new stadium when its all said and done.

That is a good question. My first gut reaction is to say let him go. I've already stated that I believe defense is what wins, and a flashy offense without a defense is, in my opinion, akin to getting a boob job -- it's sexy, but it doesn't make the end product any more productive (or reproductive as the case may be).

For the next inevitable question regarding who's more responsible for the atrocious defense, Dodge or DeLoach, I'm simply not educated enough in the ways of coaching hierarchy, control, and responsibilities to know.

It was posted a while back that DeLoach has had all his success in turning a defense around in his second season. This is the biggest obstacle to getting this thing respectable.

Here are some things to think about...

1) If Gilmore plays, he is a special player at DE...if my second point happens he will not have to play DT

2) Atkinsin signs, and can be a special player at DT...which we desperatley need

3) I believe are LBers are a solid group of players...will be juniors and seniors...adding the JUCO kid in case Penson doesn't live up to expectations

4) Secondary - Darrien Williams is special...Bush is solid, and Ira Smith is being brought in from JUCO to give Royce Hill, a true sophomore, time to learn the college game...at the other safety Kylee Hill showed signs of being a play maker back there.

The defense, on paper, seems like it could make GREAT strides this season...will it happen? Only time will tell.

OFFENSE

5) Riley...could be something special, but you know what they say about potential...show us something

6) OL - Our o-line could be pretty damn good this season...we get a 3* JUCO to come in and compete...Drake comes back, which is HUGE, like getting a JUCO without worrying if he can play at this level. Then youhave a host of young kids including JJ Johnson...we don't have to hit on all of them just a few

7) RB - In this passing offense, you forget about the RBs, but we have 4 in Cam, Dunbar, Hamilton, and what seems to be the forgotten man in Mosely...that isn't even mentioning Mathis who almost made this team as a true freshmen

8) WR - we have a ton of youth who I think we will be able to find 6 solid WR's including the JUCO guys...DON'T GIVE UP ON ROBERSON EITHER! I still hold out that this guy is going to be a stud.

This thing can get turned around, and I as all of you are waiting!

GO MEAN GREEN!

[quote name='BIG DAWG' date='Jan 15 2009, 11:26 AM' post='403775'

1) If Gilmore plays, he is a special player at DE..

2) Atkinsin signs, and can be a special player at DT...

4) Secondary - Darrien Williams is special...

OFFENSE

5) Riley...could be something special,

Edited by RETSO