Boston College Fires Head Football Coach

SUMG

They told him yesterday that he would be fired if interviewed for the Jets job. He knew that and interviewed anyway. He basically quit his job as the BC head football coach. He violated a direct order.

I applaud the BC AD for following through on his word.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I mostly agree with SUMG but what should have happened is that the Jets should have asked BC for permission since he was under contract. His move gave them grounds for cause. Maybe he could have asked permission himself.

Contracts should be honored by both parties and, if terminated early, have the same buyout conditions. I don't like denying the person a chance to better themselves but I feel even more bitter about breaking contracts (and yes, I'm aware that Dodge will still have two more years to be paid on his contract after this coming season).

i think it's awesome that BC did this. sure it sucks for that dude, losing a job, but he knew what would happen! contracts aren't worth wiping your butt with nowaday, so BC just did what a coach could've/would've done to them.

While I understand the AD's emphasis upon loyalty, there is something to be said for wanting employees who are wanted by others. If you hire good people, they are also going to be attractive to other employers. The key then is to keep them in the fold by making them happy where they are. This kinds of strikes me as one of these pennywise, pound foolish kinds of decisions. The AD has made his point but how many ambitious coaches (which most of the best tend to be) are going to want to go to BC now?

While I understand the AD's emphasis upon loyalty, there is something to be said for wanting employees who are wanted by others. If you hire good people, they are also going to be attractive to other employers. The key then is to keep them in the fold by making them happy where they are. This kinds of strikes me as one of these pennywise, pound foolish kinds of decisions. The AD has made his point but how many ambitious coaches (which most of the best tend to be) are going to want to go to BC now?

Agree. The AD may have won the battle but may also end up losing the war. It won't be easy to find a new coach who can also go 20-8 in his first two seasons (don't we wish!). I agree contracts should be honored, but AD's simply need to put tougher buyout clauses into them in case something like a better job comes up. Make the new employer "pay" to get your current employee!

Isn't the normal protocol to "Ask permission" to interview for other jobs? When you are under contract, I thought you could not interview for a job unless the one holding the contract (in this case BC) gave the contractor permission.

So I think BC is in the right here.

Good for BC. I wish somebody would make a stand and hold coaches to their agreements. Before someone brings up TD or DD, remember that colleges almost always end up honoring their contracts. DD was paid for three years as he should have been, but if he had got that dream job he would have been gone in a flash, no matter how many years he had left on that contract. Obviously, I would like NT to have coaches that someone else wants, but wouldn't it be great if coaches lived up to their contracts.

The BC AD is a complete douche. What a complete loser. I hope BC's program suffers for many years to come. It is called trying to find a better job. If a coach doesn't field a good team for a year or two then the AD certainly won't have any issues in firing him(except for maybe little ol North Texas). It goes both ways. It is all a business and this guy won't have any trouble finding another job. I hope he goes to a BC ACC rival and becomes super sucessful. I wish North Texas had the balls to fire Dodge and go after him.

The BC AD is a complete douche. What a complete loser. I hope BC's program suffers for many years to come. It is called trying to find a better job. If a coach doesn't field a good team for a year or two then the AD certainly won't have any issues in firing him(except for maybe little ol North Texas). It goes both ways. It is all a business and this guy won't have any trouble finding another job. I hope he goes to a BC ACC rival and becomes super sucessful. I wish North Texas had the balls to fire Dodge and go after him.

No it is called the AD holding the HC accountable to his contract, if the coach had at least asked to have permission to interview then everything would be fine, but he did it on his own, so hvae a hard time feeling bad for the coach in this instance.

Jag came from the NFL and had designs on getting back as quick as possible. BC was trying to temper this process and/or make a statement. They have great assistants waiting in the wings (including former ECU coach Steve Logan) and have had strong coaches since Tom Coughlin was there in the 1990s. This was a calculated move with insurance in place to make a point about being used a stepping stone after the way Tom O'Brien shafted them to go to North Carolina State.

Jags won't have any trouble finding another job, but I would bet he becomes an NFL coordinator.

No it is called the AD holding the HC accountable to his contract, if the coach had at least asked to have permission to interview then everything would be fine, but he did it on his own, so hvae a hard time feeling bad for the coach in this instance.

I don't feel sorry for the HC here. I understand the AD is trying to make the HC accountable but it does go both ways too. Had the HC had another 1 or 2 sub par seasons then without any hesitation the AD would have booted him. All he did was interview for a job and its no big deal. I dont feel sorry for the AD or HC but what about the alumni, donors and fans? Maybe they liked the HC and wanted him to stick around. As Quoner said maybe BC does have great assistants in the wings etc but if you ask me it is still pretty dumb on the AD's part to fire him now for just interviewing to a better job.