Arkansas Little Rock (1/8/09)

CMJ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll worry about Arkansas State after UALR. That one is obviously going to be as important(especially being at home...we can't drop too many more, if any, at the Superpit), but we need a win badly. NT can't afford to fall too far behind the in conference race if we want that #2 seed. Win Thursday, and we're really back in this thing, four game slide and all.

Edited by CMJ

UALR Probable Starters

PG. Stevie Moore 6'0" 167 Jr. (13.4ppg, 2.3rpg, 2.9apg)

SG. Brandon Patterson 6'6" 192 Sr. (5.1ppg, 4.0rpg, 3.1apg)

SF. John Fowler 6'4" 193 Sr. (11.1ppg, 5.8rpg, 2.3apg)

PF. Shane Edwards 6'7' 186 Sr. (9.1ppg, 3.9rpg, 1.3apg)

C. Wayne Burton 6'8" 224 Jr. (3.4ppg, 3.4rpg, 0.1apg)

Key Reserves

G. Matt Mouzy 6'0" 170 Soph. (12.4ppg, 41% 3pt)

F/C Mike Smith 6'7" 295 Jr. (6.8ppg, 6.1rpg)

F. Courtney Jackson 6'6" 200 Fr. (4.5ppg, 2.5rpg)

UALR has had a week to regroup after their 32 point loss at Western Kentucky...the usually defensivly solid Trojans gave up 56% shooting to WKU. UALR has been widely inconsistent this season...the highlight a 2 point win against Creighton and an 8 point loss at Memphis, a game which the Trojan D held the Tigers w/o a field goal for the last 8:07...low points including a 22 point loss at Missouri State, home losses to Wright State and Rice, and the most recent blow out.

UNT should actually prove to be the bigger team tonight...UALR has the potential for an inside presence in Mike Smith, but the big man has had problems with fouls, injuries and the buffet line all season...if he can stay on the floor for 25-30 minutes he is more than capable of a double-double. Moore is lightning quick, sometimes too quick and is turnover prone. Patterson is a talented glue guy ala Rich Young. Fowler, Edwards, Burton and Jackson are undersized to be playing the 4 and 5 spots like they have this season, but they're athletic and like to attack the glass. The guy to be most weary of is Mouzy...especially if UNT is without Collin Dennis, their best perimeter defender. Mouzy is an excellent 3pt shooter with a quick release capable of big scoring nights. His two worst scoring nights have come in thier two worst games (2pts, 0-7 3pt vs. Missouri State; 3pts vs. WKU).

There won't be too many games this season where UNT has an inside advantage...take advantage of this one by getting Tramiel, Odufuwa or Hogans some early inside touches and it will loosen up the perimeter defense. This game is imperative. A win could be the start of a nice little run as the schedule sets up favorably the next 5 games. A loss and UNT finds itself in at 1-3 in conference, 2+ games back in the West.

I seem to recall that many of ULAR games were very low scoring which implies defense battles.... but we are well on our way to a 70-80 point game. I have to believe that this favors us.

Edited by chrisfisher

I seem to recall that many of ULAR games were very low scoring which implies defense battles.... but we are well on our way to a 70-80 point game. I have to believe that this favors us.

I agree 100%. They win a defensive struggle - we win a high scoring game.